Modern Mommies discussion

General > What's The Thing You Love The Most About Being A Mom

Comments Showing 1-50 of 56 (56 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Sherry (new)

Sherry For me,I love having this bond with these people I adore more than any other in the world.

Each stage is like a new opportunity to know them and to know myself better,and I definitely feel I'm a much kinder better person because of them.

I always have to behave in a way that invokes confidence and courage and so I ended up with these qualities by completely faking it half the time.How good a deal is that?

When my children were at their most difficult was when I grew and learned the most.They seasoned me so to speak and I'm very lucky to have had the opportunity.

Here are some of the things I loved;

little bare toes in the summer
Fresh smell after their baths
reading at bedtime with them(though honestly,not always)
Christmas concerts and christmas mornings
Having those first adult like conversations about their ideas of life and philosophy,where you see who they are as people seperate from yourself.
Having your adult child treat you to dinner and a movie

message 2: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 9 comments A few of my (recent) favourite things...

~ My 5 yr old daughter asking ME what I want to be when I grow up. Hee hee :)
~ My son's homemade Mother's Day card where he wrote "When I see you smile it makes my heart sing" (sniff, sniff, some lucky girl is going to be very happy!)
~ The cheeky look from my 2yr old, which I am sure as she hits her teen years she will keep! I'll try to remember how much I was loving it now!
~ Their belly laughs. You know, those completly free, uninhibited laughs that kids have.

Okay - anyone else welling up at thinking about the things that make you love being a mom - or am I the only sap?!?!

message 3: by Santina (new)

Santina (littlesaintina) | 292 comments Mod
Awww what a fantastic topic.

Sherry thank for the reading at bedtime, somedays I feel so guilty thinking, I'm really not in the mood today. It's always good to know you're not alone.

For me...I can't count...I just love everything so much, I Just love her,I love loving her, I love her energy. Somedays I just walk into her room to be in her energy and it's so pure and wonderful. I love how she brought this love to life, before I didn't know a love so pure existed. When she was born I told my own mother, NOW I know how much you love me, I never truly understood the love my mother had for me until I had my own child.

Suzanne...The Belly Laughs...you're so right. We recently took my daughter to a movie and she just laughed and laughed I was a little worried she might be disturbing other people, but I wasn't going to ask her to be quiet. Anyway after the movie this couple came over to us and said thank you to her, they told her she made the move more enjoyable.

And yes I'm welling up, maybe more than usual because my daughter is away with my husband and I'm alone all week :(.

message 4: by Sherry (new)

Sherry Such beautiful posts,definitely tears,I loved the belly laughs!

Today my son wrote his last exam,and he is finished with school.His very last day!He brought home with him his grad picture,the one that is taken when they walk on stage to accept their hard won diploma.There he is standing under this flower filled bower and I remembered back to his grade one ceremony at the end of the year,and him standing under another flower filled bower accepting his certificate for most improved student in his class.11 years just flown by in the blink of an eye,I've been teary eyed all day.I'm so proud of the young man he's become but I miss the little boy who would slip his little hand in mine.

message 5: by Santina (new)

I tell my little girl, someday you'll be off to university learning great things. No Mama, I'll never leave you...lol. I said will you write that down for me?

message 6: by Shea (new)

Shea | 346 comments I LOVE all the funny things my boys say. They always have my husband and I cracking up. I love how they are disappointed when I tell them I have to go to work and that they are excited when I get home. I think my favorite thing is just watching their very individual personalities emerge and getting to know them as the little people that they are. My goal in life is to raise them to be great people and, hopefully, wonderful husbands and fathers. After all I do want grandchildren someday and as I once read on a T-shirt..."Grandchildren are your reward for not killing your children."

message 7: by Sherry (new)

Sherry *LOL*

message 8: by Santina (new)

*LOL* I better have lots of grandkids in that case.

message 9: by Rhonda (new)

Rhonda (icedcap) | 12 comments I love that my 18 yr old son will say Love ya when he leaves the house.
I love when he picks up a scrapbook that I've made him and enjoys looking through it.

I love when my 16 yr old daughter comes and gives me a big hug..just because.
I love our shopping trips..even if we don't buy anything, we have a great time.

It's the little things that count...

message 10: by Stacie (new)

Stacie Not that my daughter is always defiant, but she is VERY strong willed and we are similar in that way, so we butt heads a lot. This is a trait that I know will aid her as an adult, but doesn't work when still a child!

In the moments where I can't figure out why I became a parent, I stop and remind myself why I love being a parent...

- the laughter - not only does she have a great laugh, but she has a great sense of humor
- the way she looks to me when she is sad, hurt, nervous, happy, proud
- she draws me "love cards" and gives them to me as I walk in the door from my run
- tells me that I am in her heart, but there is still "a little room" for daddy
-watching the look on her face when she overcomes something she was afraid of...the belief she finally has in herself that she can do things...a belief I always had in her

And, very selfishly, knowing that I created (with the help of my husband) this beautiful, smart, loving, caring and defiant little girl that even on the worst days fills me with awe and wonder.

message 11: by Santina (new)

I like that Stacie...you created her...lol. It's the most amazing thing isn't it? I really want another one, I loved being pregnant. I could have done without 9 months of morning sickness, but the rest was pure bliss.

message 12: by Sherry (new)

Sherry There's nothing like it is there?

message 13: by Rhonda (new)

Rhonda (icedcap) | 12 comments Your daughter sounds like my son...we butt heads quite a bit and it's because we are both strong willed. My husband just doesn't understand it. He tells me just to walk away and I'm trying but that just doesn't always work.

message 14: by Sherry (new)

Sherry The thing I try to remember with my strong willed daughter is just as Stacie said,it's a good trait to have as an adult.And I must say as an adult she's still pretty strong willed and sometimes it's an advantage and sometimes not.But I sure learn a lot from her.She challenges me in ways I wouldn't have imagined.I wouldn't want her any other way,even the times when I feel the steam rising in my brain!

message 15: by Stacie (new)

Stacie It is hard to walk away from because on top of wanting her to have the power of self, I also want her to have respect. She is, and always will be an only child, so I often have that fear of having an entitled, spoiled only child...this is a fear my husband and I both have, so we probably push respect more than anything. It is also difficult to remember that she is only 5, as she is very articulate and smart...sometimes she is just being age appropriate! That is a reminder that is a constant for me!

message 16: by Sherry (new)

Sherry There was a ten year gap between our oldest and our youngest which made him very much like an only child though even more adored and loved(he was the youngest to older sisters)He is one of the most thoughtful sensitive people I know so I don't think you need worry that being an only child neccessarily leads to a sense of entitlement or being spoiled.It sounds very much as though you and your husband have a firm grasp on things.

Little girls are often quite spirited and capable,something that is often not considered in relation to little girls.

message 17: by Santina (new)

My daughter is also an only child, so I understand you completely Stacie. Funny story, my daughter is almost 8, but when she was 5 she really showed us all she was spoiled.

While on a trip with her daycare to a swimming pool, she was trying to get changed. She has her teacher (Sarah) for help.

Sarah said, "not right now I'm helping someone else I will help you in a minute".
My daughter (Aaliyah) says, "but I want to get changed right now".
Sarah, "You have to wait your turn Aaliyah, the world doesn't revolve around you"
Aaliyah, "Well in my home it does"

I laughed when I heard this but then I realized ok we have to set some boundries here. I'm happy to say she is a very respectful little girl outside the home, with us she take advantage of a bit, but over all she's alright with me...lol.

Stacie, I think overall kids will copy what they see, so as long as you are showing her how to be respectful in your actions, she will be just fine.

message 18: by Sherry (new)

Sherry LS - too funny!

message 19: by Stacie (new)

Stacie Santina, That is priceless! Thank you all for your words. I do believe that my husband and I are doing the best that we can and teaching her how to be a respectful person. One thing I am grateful for is that she is a very respectful child outside of our home, and like Aaliyah, she mostly takes advantage of us at home. But, that is where we want them to do it, don't we?

message 20: by Santina (new)

Isn't that the truth. I suppose we all did that. How many times have I called my mother and just sighed saying, I don't know where she gets it from Mom. My mother will reply...I WONDER??...lol.

message 21: by Marjorie (new)

Marjorie I have this notebook I keep in a kitchen drawer to write down little verbal exchanges we have with our daughter. She comes up with some doozies! I know she will get a kick out of reading this when she gets to be older.

My daughter too, is very independent and strong willed. I know she gets it from me and I will do everything in my power to help her retain her strong sense of self and respect.

message 22: by Santina (new)

That's awesome I started doing something like that, but we've moved about 6 times and as things got busier that got lost. It's sad. Maybe I'll start something again, it's so funny to look back and remember things that you forgot.

message 23: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen (momof4boys) | 30 comments Stinger Assassin that's a fab idea! I always think about doing that for my kids because they do say the darndest things. I never actually started a notebook, which is sad because I've lost a lot of good ones. Some of them I can find by looking through emails I've sent my mom. Thank God for gmails,"never delete" capacity. Too bad it wasn't around in the nineties when my oldest was growing up.

message 24: by Shea (new)

Shea | 346 comments Here is a classic from my oldest:
As he is kicking the back of the seat in the car I say to him "Please, keep your feet to yourself." His reply "I have to Mom, they are attached."

message 25: by Santina (new)

LOL...that's awesome...I wish I had 5, I would love to have a house full of them running around.

message 26: by Sherry (new)

Sherry LOL Shea,that cracked me up!

message 27: by Shea (new)

Shea | 346 comments My oldest (8yo) says to me several times per day "I love you mama" and he says it in this voice that he only uses when he says "I love you mama." I know it is warped but it makes me feel special. My youngest (5yo) uses "I love you" a little too freely sometimes. He will use it when he is going to say something else and then thinks better of it. For example, he is going to ask for a treat after we have told him "no" multiple times. He will say "Mom, can I...I love you." Actually, it is usually "Um, Mom." To which I reply "Um, what?" "Can I...I love you." To which I smile and reply "I love you too, honey."

message 28: by Sherry (new)

Sherry Shea,that made me smile.

message 29: by Santina (new)

That is so cute. And there is nothing warped about that at all. I like that your 5 yo has sense you cover up his wrong with something so nice. He'll make a great hubby one day.

Don't you just love that. My daughter says all the time, I love you Mama, you're the best Mama in the whole world. I always ask her if she'll write that down for me. I know sometime between 13 and 16 I'm going to hear I'm the worst mother in all the world and she hates me...lol.

But I'll enjoy the I love yous and your the bestest until I can't get them anymore.

message 30: by Shea (new)

Shea | 346 comments There was a great editorial in our hometown newspaper a few months back. The man writing the article was talking about his daughter who was in the 5 to 7 year old range. She had made him a card in the morning that said that she loved him and that he was the "Best Daddy in the World." The father and daughter then spent the day together and he chronicled the conflicts between them. At the end of the evening they had a big blow up about teeth brushing and she screamed at him "I hate you! You're the meanest Daddy EVER." To which he replied "No, you love me and I am the best Daddy in the world...I have it in writing." He was in awe that he could fall from grace in less than 10 hours. On a happy note he had regained best Daddy status after a good night's sleep by both father and daughter. It was very entertaining and very true. I wish I had clipped it out.

message 31: by Santina (new)

LOL...isn't that the truth. I thank God have never heard the I hate you yet, though many of my friends have. I guess I'm lucky.

message 32: by Molly (new)

Molly | 33 comments my ten (yo) asked me and my husband " if i run for president will you vote for me" Isnt it interesting that he would even question that.... its such an absolute to us. he was telling me that the candidates should tell us why they want us to vote for them so i asked if u were running what would u tell people to get them to vote for you, he said " i would lower gas prices and food prices and make clothes and shoes cheaper so parents never have to worry about that stuff." I thought it was pretty insightful for a ten (yo) and he was sooooooooo sincere about it all.

message 33: by Santina (new)

You know there are times when I think the world might be better if it were run by children. Adults can't see to understand what is really important, our judgement become easily clouded by pride and money.

message 34: by Shea (new)

Shea | 346 comments I love and yet hate sibling rivalry. I know it is inevitable so I try to see the bright side. Case in point: my 5 year old son has been seeing previews on Home and Garden Television for their new show "My Big Amazing Renovation." He REALLY wants to see it but it is on Mondays at 9pm which is after his bedtime. When I told him that it was on past his bedtime his immediate response was "But you let Duncan stay up past his bedtime to watch "Clone Wars." I then said but Monday night is a school night and "Clone Wars" is on Friday night. To which he replied "but we go to school on Friday." Now in his mind Duncan has the better end of the deal and he deserves something to make up for it. Frustrating yet entertaining, that is how I would describe my kids for today (-:

message 35: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (melitious) What a great topic, Sherry! Now, I don't have much Mommy-ing experience, yet, but I will say that nothing in my life has even come close to being as wonderful as being a mother.

Things I love already:

-Sometimes being the only one who can calm Christopher down
-Big gummy smiles
-Watching my son rub the back of his head, soothing himself while nursing in the middle of the night
-Singing funny songs to get a laugh out of the little one
-Watching his little brain work so hard on learning new things each day

message 36: by Mona (last edited Oct 11, 2008 01:21PM) (new)

Mona | 72 comments I loved all those things too Melissa! Thanks for making me remember all those fun baby times. My kids are a little older now and I miss those newborn days sometimes! ENJOY because it all goes by very quickly sometimes! Our youngest will be 2 next Saturday and I don't know where the time went really! :)

Your son is a cutie!

message 37: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (melitious) Thank you, Mona! Yes, he's already growing too fast for us!

message 38: by Shea (new)

Shea | 346 comments Yes, thinking of newborns...baby smell. There is nothing like it. I love the smell of babies. Little boys of 5 and 8 don't smell nearly as good unless they are fresh out of the bath.

message 39: by Sherry (new)

Sherry New baby smell should be bottled and sold! I'd have to have me some!

message 40: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (melitious) Ah yes, am I the only one who doesn't mind the smell of baby puke? I mean, it's not as great as new baby smell, but heck, pretty much everything about a new baby is pretty great.

message 41: by Linda (new)

Linda I absolutely love my girls and I think the thing that I love most about being a mom is when my kids achieve a goal and I am there to share it with them. I love teaching them new things and watching them grow into young independent women.

message 42: by Shea (new)

Shea | 346 comments I agree Linda. I love seeing my boys succeed. I, however, do not want them to grow into young independent women (-:

message 43: by Mona (last edited Oct 13, 2008 07:06AM) (new)

Mona | 72 comments I know what you mean ladies... I love seeing my children learn something new and sharing in that joy with them. My oldest has begun to learn the joy of reading and it's wonderful to share my love of literature and books with her. I love when she will grab a book to read rather than ask to watch television. I knew the time would come eventually!!! :)

message 44: by Shea (new)

Shea | 346 comments The boys are outside playing in the snow right now. When they come in they will want hot chocolate and we will make it together with tiny marshmallows....mmmm. Good memories.

message 45: by Jhera (new)

Jhera | 13 comments Sometimes when I pick Griffin up to carry him, he lays his head on my chest and snuggles into me. I could hold him forever like that.

message 46: by Shea (new)

Shea | 346 comments One of my favorite things is great kid quotes and especially their delivery. As a fun activity at school the kids were able to vote for who they wanted to win the Michigan vs. Michigan State basketball game. It was a fundraiser for the PTO and to vote you donated a dollar. I asked my boys if they would each like a dollar to cast their vote. My 6 year old says to me, as though explaining to a child, "Mom, it doesn't matter what the vote says it is not going to change the game." He cracks me up.

message 47: by Sherry (new)

Sherry LOL!

message 48: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (mouser083) I love it that my son comes to me for ANYTHING and EVERYTHING. A booboo... calls mama. Food or drink... calls mama. Bedtime frights... calls mama. My hubby hates it, but I just laugh. I told him the next child is his, lol. It's definitely true about the boys being mommy's boy.

message 49: by L & D (new)

L & D Best part? How do you name just one? Currently, sitting on the couch with all three kids, each of us reading a different book. When they were babies, the relaxation and sensation of closeness when I breastfed. Of course, this answer will change tomorrow. :)

message 50: by Lilo1 (new)

Lilo1 Gurule (goodreadscomlilo1) | 11 comments this are such good posts=]
I love it when my 2yr old comes up to me when i ask
her to give me a hug she'll hug me pat me on the back
and tells me (LaLu mommy) i could me mad sad but when
she does that it just makes me the happiest mommy in the world i Love it when my 1yr old just looks at me and laughs or just smiles (well shes 11mths) so she doesnt really say anthing yet but mamma dadda & sister well titer.x) i love it when i wake up in the morning and there both laying on me i wake up HOT as Hell and i put them back in there beds but i love it (lol) and the most thing of all i love being there for them=] my babys are such DIVAS! lol but there my lil Divas.x) gotta enjoy it before they turn into teengrls! ahh i think we all know how thats like.XD but till then and even then there always gonna be my babys!:)

« previous 1