Goodtunes discussion

Musical Groups > Sting / The Police

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dana * (new)

Dana * (queenofegypt) I just got the newest release from Sting "Symphonicities".

It is symphonic renditions of Sting songs. It is very nice, there is nothing that sounds terrible different than the original though.

message 2: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) Interesting. I like to hear symphonic versions of pop music. I think someone did The Beatles catalog.

I think Sting's a good songwriter. His "Fields of Gold" is so beautiful I never get sick of hearing anyone sing it.

message 3: by Lori (new)

Lori (barfield) | 513 comments Mod
Thanks Dana up until now i don't think we had Sting?The Police anywhere. I love Fields of Gold mainly because it's a best of CD, but all the songs deserve the best of title. I also love Brand New Day. Guess i'm going to have to check out Symphonicities.

message 4: by Marts (new)

Marts  (Thinker) (thinkersutopia) | 182 comments When I think of Sting and the Police 'King of Pain' always come to mind, damn I love that song, and Alanis didn't do too bad with it either.

message 5: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) I love the entire Synchronicity album. Really like "Wrapped Around Your Finger." Always reminds me of The Sorcerer's Apprentice for some reason.

message 6: by Danielle The Book Huntress (last edited Jul 28, 2010 08:06AM) (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) I love Sting and The Police! I wish that Sting would release more new material instead of just doing different versions of old songs.

message 7: by Dana * (new)

Dana * (queenofegypt) Wrapped Around Your Finger is one of my all time favorite videos.

Sting is singing in all of the songs on the CD, so it is not just symphony, FYI.

I wish he was doing something new also. The christmas CD was not my favorite.

message 8: by Lonnie (new)

Lonnie Tressa wrote: "I love the entire Synchronicity album. Really like "Wrapped Around Your Finger." Always reminds me of The Sorcerer's Apprentice for some reason."

Really? The ENTIRE album? Man, I was SO disapointed when I bought this album in '83 but mostly side 1. It still amazes me how an album (in my opinion) that had so many great songs also had so many horrible songs. I still use MOTHER as my all time worse song ever... even though I sing it to myself at times when the phone rings. ;)

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) Mother is the only Police song I really dislike!

message 10: by Chris (last edited Jul 30, 2010 10:23AM) (new)

Chris  (haughtc) Note that "Mother" was written by Andy Summers, rather than Sting. Sting wrote the vast majority of songs for The Police, with the ones done by Summers and Stewart Copeland were mostly experimental.

"Miss Gradenko" was written by Copeland, and I really enjoyed it.

"Murder by Numbers" was written by Sting (lyrics) with the music by Summers, and it's a much better song than "Mother".

message 11: by Lonnie (new)

Lonnie Chris wrote: "Note that "Mother" was written by Andy Summers, rather than Sting. Sting wrote the vast majority of songs for The Police, with the ones done by Summers and Stewart Copeland were mostly experimental..."

maybe so.... but it's still on the album. Blech! ;)

message 12: by Lori (last edited Jul 30, 2010 02:19PM) (new)

Lori (barfield) | 513 comments Mod
Murder by Numbers is an awesome song.

IMO Stings best solo album/CD is Ten Summoner's Tales. Every song, again IMO, is great listening to anyone no matter age, race, or any other differences we humans may have. It's Probably Me & Heavy Cloud No Rain are two that didn't get a lot of air play, but they are awesome songs. Also he's one of those that sound as good live as in the studio, maybe even better.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUYI7k...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZiTM2O...

On Synchronicity there were more good songs then bad. If you go back and look at The Polices other 4 albums on each one the so so songs out numbered the really good ones. I for one felt bad when they broke up. It seems they were just hitting their stride when Synchronicity was released. But boys being boys their troubles had been on for a while. Now their all happily doing their own thing and can speak to each other without fighting. And that's always good.

message 13: by Marco (new)

Marco (marcoreads) | 131 comments outlandos damour is my fave.