Dickens! Mwah! discussion

The tale of two cities

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Faeze (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:23PM) (new)

Faeze I'm going to read this novel by Dickens and I wanted to check wheather someone here has read it before or not?How do you think about it?I've just finished Hard Times and again another Dickens to read and to compare!

message 2: by Georgia (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:24PM) (new)

Georgia | 1 comments I always think that A Tale of Two Cities is the most "un-Dickens like" of his works. I have only read it once, as it covers a period of history I'm not too interested in, however it is very moving at the end.

message 3: by Stas' (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:25PM) (new)

Stas' | 19 comments Proves that Dickens could have been a great thriller writer if he wanted to. (This skill also hinted at in Edwin Drood.) Tale of Two Cities is an atmospheric, gripping evocation of the worst excesses that marred the original noble intentions of the French revolution. It is also quite lean for a Victorian Novel and a good place for someone new to this kind of novel for this reason.

As Georgia stated in the previous post, a very moving ending. Even though I knew the ending from movie versions, an interaction between one of the protagonists and a young woman waiting for the big chop touched me to tears.

Way more of a roller coaster ride than Hard Times!

message 4: by Darcy (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:12PM) (new)

Darcy | 12 comments Last year I decided to read all of Dickens (ha! all the good ones, anyway) and having pushed through Barnaby Rudge and Martin Chuzzlewit I needed a change of pace, so I settled on Edwin Drood.

I didn't know it was unfinished.

Sadly, the edition I was reading was quite old and so it had no editorial notes. I thought it was a misprint until I checked in another edition. What a disappointment!

A Tale of Two Cities is quite good, even better if you happen to knit as a hobby! I'd go for one of the lighter, "open secret" novels, though, like Our Mutual Friend or Bleak House.

message 5: by Sophia (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:13PM) (new)

Sophia | 3 comments i've just realized how long it has been since i've read a Charles Dickens book...XD. i kinda miss him. but i dont have time to read for pleasure because of all the crap my college makes me read. (sad face). i've read like 8 of his books tho. :). so if anyone wants to talk about them i'll be more than happy to discuss.

uh tornado. which book are you talking about?

message 6: by Natalie (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:14PM) (new)

Natalie | 19 comments Mod
Tale of Two Cities really is pretty different than a lot of other Dickens, like someone above said. But it's incredible. It's his historical fiction book, and it has all of his amazing writing skills as well as some international intrigue.

Darcy, you would consider "Our Mutual Friend" a lighter Dickens novel?! I've read almost all of his books, and I definitely consider that one very... not light, lol. It's good though.

My favorite is Bleak House.

message 7: by Darcy (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:15PM) (new)

Darcy | 12 comments Tale of Two Cities spoiler alert!

lol. Yeah, perhaps "light" wasn't a great adjective to use ;). I simply meant that A Tale of Two Cities is very historically embedded and therefore can be a bit heavy. I certainly wouldn't say that OMF is "light" in the same way that (for example) Pickwick is, but to me the two books are similar in terms of how consequences play out. Pickwick is one of those novels that seems so happy and light-hearted that we forget how many people die, or how often death is mentioned in the book (for example, all of Sam's sayings are pretty grisly, especially the one about the meat-grinder). But I think people probably consider it to be one of the happier books because everything works out so nicely--even Jingle is redeemed. AToTC, on the other hand, has a much more emotionally, socially, and politically complex ending. For that reason, I guess, the much neater ending of OMF (despite all the bodies floating about) seems to make the book a lighter read.

message 8: by Robin (new)

Robin (goodreadscomtriviagoddessl) My fave is Bleak House, too.

message 9: by Jeff (last edited Jan 12, 2011 05:47AM) (new)

Jeff Joseph | 16 comments Ive read all of dickens novels,and they are surprisingly equal in quality. Having said that I do think burnaby rudge, edwin drood,and a tale of 2 cities are sub=par in COMPARISON and in CONTEXT of the body of HIS work. Ive read 2 cities twice and recently watched the GREAT 1930s movie version, and my contention is that it makes a much better movie than book,something very rare.

message 10: by Jeff (new)

Jeff Joseph | 16 comments Robin wrote: "My fave is Bleak House, too."

There is a VERY GOOD mini-series version of Bleak house done fairly recently with gillian anderson(of x files fame). its 4hrs long- enough time to keep the story relativly intact. I saw it on netflics. It has won awards so is widely available.See-bbc shop-for details.

message 11: by Robin (new)

Robin (goodreadscomtriviagoddessl) I saw this a while back, that is what got me interested in reading Bleak House, I had to read it twice, once, I just gave up, and was encouraged by a poster on another site to try to get through it, and I Finished it , and I am glad I did. Did you ever see the Diana Rigg version of Bleak House? I love all those BBC movies.

message 12: by Jeff (new)

Jeff Joseph | 16 comments ive found the old black and white versions best. See david copperfield with w.c fields from the thirtys! And tale of 2 cities from 30s with 600 extras! Magnificent! Amazon sells a fantastic 5 movie collection called Motion picture masterpieces.JUST $40 All titles from the 30s. D copperfield,two cities,tresure island,pride and prejudice, and marie antoinette. I cant rate it highly enough.

message 13: by Robin (new)

Robin (goodreadscomtriviagoddessl) Thanks for the info, Jeff. Do you know if they sell it cheaper than $40.00?

message 14: by Jeff (new)

Jeff Joseph | 16 comments There $20 each! so 5 movies for $40-- is like- buy 2 get 3 free!!! thats as good as it gets!

message 15: by Robin (new)

Robin (goodreadscomtriviagoddessl) sounds good to me.