Paranormal Romance and Urban Fantasy Addicts discussion

Archive (BOTM) > AUGUST ~ Storm Born

Comments Showing 1-50 of 51 (51 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by GinBee, Founder & Mod (last edited Jul 26, 2010 11:01AM) (new)

GinBee (jennymbee) | 4468 comments Mod
Lets talk about the August group read Storm Born.

How are you finding it? Like it so far. If you've already read the book feel free to jump in too!!

Please be respectful of spoilers - do a warning if you are posting one!

Storm Born (Dark Swan, #1) by Richelle Mead

message 2: by Literary Ames (new)

Literary Ames (amyorames) | 276 comments Only two books in this series so far but it's my favourite Richelle Mead one, which is saying something considering I don't usually like fae books. And Kiyo may be hot but Dorian's got my heart especially after the second book, which is quite a bit darker. I can't wait for Iron Crowned!

Wicked ♥  (Wickedly Bookish Reviews) aka Bat-Jess | 62 comments Just finished the first chapter and so far I'm loving it! The humor and Eugenie's character are already drawing me in. Can't wait to see where this one goes!

message 4: by Xin (new)

Xin Li | 24 comments This series really threw me for a loop. I didn't think I would like it. But as usual Richelle Mead managed to win me over. Love the humor, and sarcasm. Not sure who I like for Eugenie's lover. I just feel very weary of both Dorian and Kiyo. I'm like super protective of Eugenie, even though in truth, she could kick my ass.

Aussie bookworm (aussiebookworms) | 4 comments one of my favourite series i can't wait for iron crowned

message 6: by Krysta (new)

Krysta (krystafig) | 4089 comments On page 157, and I'm actually liking it so far. Never read any of Richelle Mead's work before, or even really any paranormal books that didn't have vampires in the one way or another (even if not the main species/character)...but this isn't bad! I love Eugenie's character so far, and I like the references to the ancient Greek gods. They used to fascinate me when I was younger (Egyptian gods too).
Will update again once I finish!

message 7: by Xin (new)

Xin Li | 24 comments Richelle mead is awesome. She has three series, only one of which is about vampires. But all three share the same kind of wit and humor. RIchelle, having studied mythology extensively in college, relies on those for a lot of her inspiration in her works.

Wicked ♥  (Wickedly Bookish Reviews) aka Bat-Jess | 62 comments This is a really great book so far. I'm reading the ebook and I'm about 30% of the way through. So good, I have a hard time stepping away from the computer. I'm definitely going to add her to my fav authors list. Thanks so much to whoever nominated and voted for this book!

Wicked ♥  (Wickedly Bookish Reviews) aka Bat-Jess | 62 comments Almost done and I'm loving every moment of it. This is really a great book and I can't wait to get to the others in the series. It looks like just the 2 volumes are out so far and the third has yet to have its release date announced. I am definitely enjoying this pick of the month more than Bitten.

message 10: by Jessica B (last edited Aug 10, 2010 12:21PM) (new)

Jessica B | 27 comments I read both Storm Born and Thorn Queen earlier this year and in normal fashoin for me and a Richelle Mead book I fell hopelessly in love... I love Eugenie and feel she is a great strong heroine. I am a Kiyo hater... didn't like him from the start. I always had a soft spot for Dorian. I am eagerly anticipating the next book in the series!

Wicked ♥  (Wickedly Bookish Reviews) aka Bat-Jess | 62 comments yay! I agree, I love Dorian. He is seriously too funny with a serious sexy side. Love it.

message 12: by Xin (new)

Xin Li | 24 comments I was a Kiyo fan at the beginning. But let's just say he's done a few things since then that has turned me completely around. I don't know if i'm rooting for Dorian either, his sexual escapades not withstanding. I just don't trust Dorian, for some reason. I have lots to say, but don't want to spoil anything..

message 13: by Dija (new)

Dija I agree completely with you on Kiyo, Xin. I really liked him at the beginning but began to hate him after the situation with Maiwenn came to light. He's a spiteful idiot who wants and expects everything to go his way. I'm not exactly in love with Dorian, but he's a thousand times better than Kiyo, so it's all good.

message 14: by Schelle (new)

Schelle | 46 comments I had a thing Dorian right from the start and was really annoyed with her feelings for Kiyo. I completely think Dorian is after the whole power trip, but I still love his attitude. I also really enjoyed the character of the sprit bound to her - can't think of his name, something starting with V - their relationship is good value.

I enjoyed this book and will definitely have to grab a copy of Thorn Queen.

message 15: by Xin (new)

Xin Li | 24 comments You really won't like Kiyo after Thorn Queen then...

message 16: by Krysta (new)

Krysta (krystafig) | 4089 comments I don't hate Kiyo nearly as much as some other people seem to.
He made a mistake not telling Eugenie about Mariwenn, yes, and it sucks that she had to learn from someone else, yes, but thinking about real life, how often does a case like this happen? I was mad at him at first, but I like that Eugenie gave him another chance and they're starting to rebuild that trust.
Dorian now ... I'm not sure how I feel about him. He's not bad, but he's not my favorite either. Something about him just makes me wary.

If I get the chance, I'd like to read Thorn Queen too!

message 17: by Schelle (new)

Schelle | 46 comments Xin wrote: "You really won't like Kiyo after Thorn Queen then..."

and that is why I'm even more excited about Thorn Queen, I don't think I would be as motivated to get it if I knew Kiyo turned out to be Mr Right.

thanks Xin

Wicked ♥  (Wickedly Bookish Reviews) aka Bat-Jess | 62 comments Just finished this morning and I think it was AWESOME!!! I don't really hate Kiyo like some of the others here, but I don't think he is the one for Eugenie. He has some other responsabilities he needs to take care of and I don't think it would be fair for Eugenie to have to share him in light of his situation with Maiween. Can't wait to get started on Thron Queen! I have lots of other books for the month of August that I have to finish for other challenges before I get to it though.

message 19: by Alisha (new)

Alisha (schalazeal) | 28 comments I'm guessing that as Eugenie grows into her identity as a gentryfolk, she'll grow out of Kiyo. At least I hope so. Homie really has issues with her embracing her heritage, even as he embraces his own (more or less) similar one.

message 20: by Xin (new)

Xin Li | 24 comments I just feel like there's more then meets the eye to both Kiyo and Dorian. They both have deep agendas that have barely began to surface. She still needs to embrace her heritage, and her ultimate destiny. Which is to say, she needs to become a true leader, someone that makes decisions for herself. Right now, she is still very new to that world, and is taking a lot of advice from Dorian and Kiyo and letting them sort of direct the overall direction of her decisions. I am hoping in book 3, she will really come into her own, and make Dorian and Kiyo her bitches :P Especially Kiyo.

Wicked ♥  (Wickedly Bookish Reviews) aka Bat-Jess | 62 comments Alisha wrote: "I'm guessing that as Eugenie grows into her identity as a gentryfolk, she'll grow out of Kiyo. At least I hope so. Homie really has issues with her embracing her heritage, even as he embraces his o..."

I totally agree with you Alisha. I really hope she gets over Kiyo as she becomes more comfortable with herself and her heritage. Even if she doesn't, she just needs to accept what and who she is.

message 22: by Literary Ames (new)

Literary Ames (amyorames) | 276 comments Xin wrote: "...I am hoping in book 3, she will really come into her own, and make Dorian and Kiyo her bitches :P Especially Kiyo.

Lol! Kiyo deserves it so I hope she does too.

message 23: by Lily (last edited Aug 08, 2010 01:18PM) (new)

Lily (lilithesque) I just finished stormborn yesterday and I really did like it. ****. As for Kiyo, I think he may find himself bound to her, should he try to stray to far. i think she unwittingly bound him as her when they had that sex after her dream/power serge. I have the next book ordered. My guess could be really wrong. Im with you on the make um both her bitches camp.

message 24: by Dija (last edited Aug 08, 2010 08:54PM) (new)

Dija All you people not really hating on Kiyo: wait till you read "Thorn Queen". My hatred is justified in that book, believe me. :P

message 25: by Xin (new)

Xin Li | 24 comments Lazuline wrote: "All you people not really hating on Kiyo: wait till you read "Thorn Queen". My hatred is justified in that book, believe me. :P"

Got that right. I can't believe he took the position he took at the end of Book 2. I would've bitch slapped him, and then some.

message 26: by Dija (new)

Dija Me, either. And then he had the nerve to pull the whole "I'm-innocent-and-you're-totally-deranged-and-under-psychotic-influence" act. Seriously. And after all Genie's been through for his sake.

message 27: by Sally (new)

Sally (sjanec) | 22 comments Finished this book and must say I agree with everyone Kiyo is just too wimpy for me to like, hope she goes with Dorian.

message 28: by Kasey (new)

Kasey | 36 comments It's been a while since I read this book. But I really liked the series so far. I'm just getting impatient since it has been quite a wait for the next one. I'm absolutely rooting for Dorian. I liked Kiyo more in the first book, but I've moved more solidly in the Dorian side.

message 29: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Penny (mrspenny506) | 3 comments I think there is still something weird with the pregnant queen, and Dorian is cocky but he is there for her

message 30: by Mariya (new)

Mariya (cr6zym0nkeyiz) i just started it and am loving it, but that's not strange wit one of richelle mead's series. i love her writing!

message 31: by Mariya (new)

Mariya (cr6zym0nkeyiz) so i just finished storm born. i loved it. dorian fan!

message 32: by Sandra (new)

Sandra I love this book like the rest of you, and actually just finished Thorn Queen as well. I think the Kiyo relationship was hot that first night, but kinda fizzled after that. It makes sense she stayed with him since she's still trying to pretend she's all human, but I def like the development of the second book. Everyone should def read it if they haven't already, and I don't think I can wait till 2011 for the next one!

message 33: by Schelle (new)

Schelle | 46 comments Sandra wrote: "I love this book like the rest of you, and actually just finished Thorn Queen as well. I think the Kiyo relationship was hot that first night, but kinda fizzled after that. It makes sense she sta..."

enjoyed the second book but REALLY eagerly anticipating the third now - loved where no 2 ended.

message 34: by Krysta (new)

Krysta (krystafig) | 4089 comments I'm not really a fan of Kiyo OR Dorian to be honest.
I read both Storm Born and Thorn Queen, and I don't hate either character, but I don't really care for either one for Eugenie to be with either.

message 35: by Dija (new)

Dija Krysta wrote: "I'm not really a fan of Kiyo OR Dorian to be honest.
I read both Storm Born and Thorn Queen, and I don't hate either character, but I don't really care for either one for Eugenie to be with either."

That's a lot like how I feel, except I hate Kiyo, but I don't love Dorian either, so I'm really not sure if she should be with either.

message 36: by Pam (new)

Pam I liked this one and will soon buy Thorn Queen. I feel the same as Krysta - I do not hate either Kiyo or Dorian but I think Eugenie deserves better.

message 37: by Sandra (new)

Sandra Yeah, I do like Dorian (more in the second book) but he def is a King and it makes it harder to like him when he talks about how much better than other people he and Eugenie are.

message 38: by Yeni (new)

Yeni Sandoval (futbolera) | 2 comments Loved it! I have the second book on order, and I can't wait..

message 39: by Xin (new)

Xin Li | 24 comments Kyo is definitely a wussy. And Dorian had the right reaction. I don't want to spoil the fun of book 2. But lets just say that some things happen to Eugenie. And if those same things had happened to a US president, and was orchestrated by the leaders of another country, there would be a giant crater 50ft deep where that country used to be.

message 40: by Lin (new)

Lin Xin wrote: "But lets just say that some things happen to Eugenie. And if those same things had happened..."

They should put that on the back of the book, it's making me reconsider not reading the 2nd one.

I really didn't like Kiyo and Dorian didn't have me hooked either

message 41: by Xin (new)

Xin Li | 24 comments Lin wrote: "Xin wrote: "But lets just say that some things happen to Eugenie. And if those same things had happened..."

They should put that on the back of the book, it's making me reconsider not reading the..."

I have to agree on the romance aspect of this series. Neither Kiyo nor Dorian is doing it for me, which is weird for Richelle Mead. She's typically very good at writing up a steamy love story that has us from the first kiss. LIke I'm totally rooting for Rose and Dimitri, and even for Seth and Georgie (though Seth can be annoying). I feel nothing for Kiyo and Dorian. Both of them could drop off dead, and I wouldn't shed a tear. The sex is nice and steamy. But that's not enough to hold up a good romance plot line. She really needs to do something, and have one of these characters really prove themselves worthy of Eugenie.

message 42: by Literary Ames (new)

Literary Ames (amyorames) | 276 comments Xin wrote: "...But lets just say that some things happen to Eugenie. And if those same things had happened to a US president, and was orchestrated by the leaders of another country, there would be a giant crater 50ft deep where that country used to be."

LMAO! So true.

message 43: by Dejsha (new)

Dejsha | 3 comments I read this book quite a while ago. I don't remember a lot of the specifics any more, but this book didn't really work for me on many levels. Because of that, I never continued with the series. Did anyone only moderately like the this book and go on with the series? Did any of her secondary characters become more likable in the next books?

I have not had any of my friends read this book, so it is nice to be able to talk with others who have. :o)

Happy reading!

message 44: by GinBee, Founder & Mod (new)

I just finished Storm Born yesterday and I'm definitely a fan of the series, I want to read Thorn Queen really soon! I like Richelle Mead's style of writing (as I did in Succubus Blues) so am looking forward to more!

Eugenie is a great character! Stong, sexy and seriously kick ass! Of course she is beautiful too (but then the heroine always is in any sort of book aren't they!!).

I have mixed feelings about Kiyo. I liked him at first, then I went off him, now I have no idea!! Dorian on the other hand is intriguing and I am looking forward to how his character is used in Thorn Queen.

message 45: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. | 269 comments Wait until you read Thorn Queen Jen. Then, you might not have mixed feelings at all about Kiyo.

message 46: by GinBee, Founder & Mod (last edited Oct 21, 2010 02:28PM) (new)

Carolyn F. wrote: "Wait until you read Thorn Queen Jen. Then, you might not have mixed feelings at all about Kiyo."

Now I wish I had a copy to start!! That is really making me wonder........

message 47: by Xin (new)

Xin Li | 24 comments Why don't you have a copy? Which country are you in?

message 48: by Literary Ames (new)

Literary Ames (amyorames) | 276 comments Jen, get your butt to Waterstone's tomorrow. It'll be worth the trip, trust me!

message 49: by GinBee, Founder & Mod (last edited Oct 21, 2010 03:21PM) (new)

Amy or "Ames" wrote: "Jen, get your butt to Waterstone's tomorrow. It'll be worth the trip, trust me!"

I'm there!!!!

Note to self: I should always buy book 2 as well as book 1 when a series is recommended!!!!!!

@ Xin. I'm in the UK.

message 50: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. | 269 comments and book #3 and book #4 and book #5 . . .

« previous 1