What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Query abandoned by poster > ABANDONED. Adult fiction: kidnapped girl stays alive

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lynn (last edited Jul 25, 2010 09:11PM) (new)

Lynn | 7 comments Read this in late 90s, paperback story of a little girl kidnapped, held in some kind of greenhouse with her girlfriend. Part of the book is told from her point of view. As she navigates through her fear, survival, hiding, in a lot of dirt, her family/police are trying to find her. The ending was a surprise. I remember it, but I can't tell it.

message 2: by Laura (new)

Laura | 33 comments Carol O'Connell's Judas Child? http://www.amazon.com/Judas-Child-Car...

message 3: by Emily (new)

Emily | 140 comments The greenhouse/girlfriend part doesn't sound familiar, but how about One Two Buckle My Shoe?

message 4: by Lynn (new)

Lynn | 7 comments Lynn wrote: "Read this in late 90s, paperback story of a little girl kidnapped, held in some kind of greenhouse with her girlfriend. Part of the book is told from her point of view. As she navigates through her..."

don't think it's the Judas Child, but might put it on my list anyway. thanks.

message 5: by Lynn (new)

Lynn | 7 comments Emily wrote: "The greenhouse/girlfriend part doesn't sound familiar, but how about One Two Buckle My Shoe?"

Doesn't sound similar at all but thanks. Might be worth a look.

message 6: by bookel (new)

bookel | 2366 comments Could it be this?

The kidnapping of Courtney Van Allen & what's-her-name by Joyce Cool

message 7: by Lynn (new)

Lynn | 7 comments I will look it up! You're the only person to even have a wild guess at this so thanks for weighing in. Do you know any other books by Joyce Cool?

message 8: by bookel (new)

bookel | 2366 comments A worldcat search didn't bring up anything else by that author.

message 9: by Lynn (new)

Lynn | 7 comments looking at the cover, I don't think this is the book.
will keep looking.

message 10: by bookel (new)

bookel | 2366 comments There's at least three different covers, two paperback, one hardcover. Two on right are paperback. If you don't recognise the title/author/plot though, that's not a good sign. I'll suggest more later.

message 11: by bookel (new)

bookel | 2366 comments What country was it set in?

message 12: by bookel (new)

bookel | 2366 comments And also, what was the greenhouse called, specifically? This would help enormously if the correct keyword is identified.

greenhouse
Definition: hothouse
Synonyms: arboretum, conservatory, coolhouse, glasshouse, nursery, planthouse, potting shed

message 13: by bookel (new)

bookel | 2366 comments This appears to be only one girl...

Keep running (Alt. title: Ask Me No Questions) by Margaret Storey
E. P. Dutton, 1975 - 142 pages
While trying to guess the identity of her captors and the real reason for her abduction, a teenage girl develops a strange sort of fellowship with the man directly in charge of keeping her prisoner.
"Slowly she realized that she was in bed in some kind of conservatory. ... She had been kidnapped."

message 14: by CLM (new)

CLM | 302 comments I own this and can post more info tomorrow, if helpful, but definitely only one girl. I am a big fan of this author. She also writes adult mysteries.

message 15: by bookel (new)

bookel | 2366 comments What do you mean by "little girl"? What age is the girl? Teenage or below that?

Could it be a Peg Kehret book? In this one she appears to be in a barn. Not quite a greenhouse ...

Deadly Stranger by Peg Kehret
Troll, 01/01/1989 - Juvenile Fiction - 176 pages
A fast paced novel in which two girls find themselves in a nightmare come true: one is kidnapped and one is attacked by a hit and run driver. Will they be able to keep their wits and save themselves from a deadly stranger?

Quote: "Eventually, she awoke to daylight. Her body ached from being in the same position for so long. Her head itched, from the dirt and old rotting hay on the barn floor. She wanted to scratch her scalp, but she couldn't. Not with her hands still tied."

message 16: by bookel (new)

bookel | 2366 comments Was the book new at the time you read it in the late 1990s? Willo Davis Roberts and Peg Kehret both wrote a lot of kidnapping fiction, but there are others. Just trying to narrow down a timeframe.

message 17: by bookel (last edited Jul 17, 2013 04:55AM) (new)

bookel | 2366 comments Here's one with two girls.

Fighting Back (Cheerleaders #42) by Carol Ellis
A shopping expedition turns into a nightmare when Mary Ellen Tilford is kidnapped for ransom, and Tara Armstrong, in the wrong place at the wrong time, is taken, too. Mary Ellen says, 'Do what they say. Don't make trouble.' Tara says, 'We've got to fight. We've got to save ourselves.' Someone's right. And someone's wrong. Maybe dead wrong.

Been a while since I read the below, but a description says both girls were kidnapped. Great book!

The Seeing Summer by Jeannette Eyerly

Will throw in the below, haven't read them yet, though it looks like a boy and girl for the first; not sure about the others.

Run for Your Life! (Original title: Prisoners at the Kitchen Table) by Barbara Holland.

Escape into daylight by Geoffrey Household
In danger of losing their lives, two kidnapped youngsters being held in a ruined abbey make several desperate attempts to escape.

Danger at Loud Lake by Hope Dahle Jordan
When Jenny and her cousin are kidnapped by an escaped convict at Horseshoe Park, her family's vacation home, she must muster her wits to escape.

message 18: by Lynn (new)

Lynn | 7 comments thanks for all the helpful hints. Girl(s) younger than teens. will look up other keywords. this was not a children's or young adult book. I can only think that my memory is just not grasping enough of the correct details. meanwhile, I'll look into some of the titles i see above.

message 19: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 39607 comments Mod
Lynn, are you still looking for this or was it something mentioned above?

message 20: by bookel (new)

bookel | 2366 comments You should put Adult Fiction in the header/title at top; girl was misleading and immediately thought children's/YA.

message 21: by Lynn (last edited Aug 03, 2014 07:44PM) (new)

Lynn | 7 comments good point, thanks for the tip. never did find the book but not losing sleep over it. appreciate your interest.

message 22: by caracal-eyes (new)

caracal-eyes | 134 comments Well, it's from 2008, but it's about two little girls, best friends, who are kidnapped, and is told from multiple points of view, including from one of the girls' perspectives: The Weight of Silence

message 23: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Still looking Lynn?

message 24: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lynn left the group. Moving to Abandoned.