Dark Fantasy and Beyond discussion

Favorite authors and series'

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alyssa Blaine B (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:23PM) (new)

Alyssa Blaine B (sdblaine) | 4 comments Mod
Some of my favorite Dark Fantasy authors/ series are:

- Anne Bishop's Dark Jewel Trilogy
- Laurell K Hamiltons Anita Blake Vampire Hunter series (up till Blue Moon)
- Sunshine and Deerskin
- Last Vampire Series by Christopher Pike

message 2: by Laura (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:24PM) (new)

Laura (laurastamps) Wow...where to begin(grin)!

- "The Dresden Files" by Jim Butcher
- "The Dante Valentine Series" by Lilith Saintcrow
- "The Southern Vampire Series" by Charlaine Harris
- "The Bewitching Mysteries" by Madelyn Alt
- "The Bood Books" by Tanya Huff

BTW, I just finished "Sunshine" and loved it. I was wondering of it is a stand-alone novel, or if it is part of a series?

Also, I have "Deerskin" but I thought it was trad fantasy, so I haven't read it yet. Is it also urban fantasy?

I have tried to read Laurell K. Hamilton's Anita Blake series and her faery series, and they were just not my thing. I'm not into the paranormal romance/sex-in-almost-every-chapter thing.

I did read the first novel in Kat Richardson's series called "Greywalker," and it was pretty good, so I will probably read the next novel in thats series.

I'm hoping to start on the "Smoke" series by Tanya Huff next. She is one of my very favorites!

I'm thrilled you started this group! I seem to like to read about vampires more than I ever thought I would (grin).

message 3: by Alyssa Blaine B (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:31PM) (new)

Alyssa Blaine B (sdblaine) | 4 comments Mod
Deerskin is a pretty tradtional fantasy read... but it's creeepy and deep so I lable it as dark fantasy (aka not to be read by little childrens).

Sunshine is at the momment a stand alone (sadlry, and I'm glad you liked the Greywalker book. Maybe I'll pick it up to read in the near future~

message 4: by Laura (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:31PM) (new)

Laura (laurastamps) I just finished "Poltergeist," the second novel in the Greywalker series. They are very well written. Kind of a mix between a noir detective novel and a paranormal fantasy. Carlos the neocromancer vampire is my favorite character in that series. There is something hard to describe about those novels...they are dark and heavy and you feel rather depressed and exhausted after reading them. Typical noir, I guess you could say. (LOL)

Right now I am reading the first novel in the "Smoke" series ("Smoke and Shadows") by Tanya Huff. It is soooooo good to be reading Huff again! I really like her novels.

This morning I went to my local B&N and bought the new vamp anthology "Many Bloody Returns" (I've heard so many good things about it from people who have read it). At the moment I am reading the Jim Butcher story and laughing all the way through. He is another of my favorites, and of course the story is about my favorite vamp in his series, Thomas.

I did enjoy "Sunshine" a lot. Especially the ending. I had found her writing style a little strange, until I heard she generally writes YA novels. Well, that explains all the conflicting thoughts going on in the main character's head all the time. After about 150 pages I found myself skipping entire pages of that stuff to get back to the plot-line. But still I would love to see that story continued. Maybe one day she will.

message 5: by Tess (new)

Tess | 7 comments I'd recommend the Dark Hunters series by Sherrilyn Kenyon. I haven't read all of them, but they are about great warriors (usually really hot guys) who died heroically and were given the option to become vampire hunters - Dark Hunters - by loosing their souls and basically becoming vampires themselves. Except they are the good guys and the bad guys are the creepy Lestate-esque vampires. These books tie in Greek mythology, Heaven & Hell, vampires, psychics, and probably a lot more I've forgotten.
They are also mainly romance novels, so there's the heroic woman that falls in love with the soul-less hunter and finds eternal love in every book!

message 6: by Rora (new)

Rora Some favorite dark fantasy books...

The Secret Books of Paradys by Tanith Lee
Vampire Chronicles by Anne Rice (though the later books I didn't really care for)
Weaveworld by Clive Barker
Kushiel series by Jacqueline Carey
The Black Jewels trilogy by Anne Bishop
Anita Blake series by Laurell. K. Hamilton (though I stopped around book 9 or 10)

message 7: by Jerrod (last edited Jul 09, 2008 10:51AM) (new)

Jerrod (liquidazrael) The Unblemished by Conrad Williams
[earthling pub version NOT the Virgin mass pb]
Deepgate Codex series by Alan Campbell
Imagica by Clive Barker
Necroscope series by Brian Lumley

By far my current favorite author [other than Barker] is Conrad Williams his material is worth checking into if people haven't heard of him.

message 8: by Fiona (new)

Fiona (fionam) | 2 comments I love Sunny's Mona Lisa series and the new Lucinda series......

Have a look and tell me what you think!!

message 9: by Jed (new)

Jed (specklebang) | 2 comments I hope that I'm not going off category. To me fantasy has some magical elements and dark means no happy ending. So, please give me feedback as to any of this odd lot of suggestions doesn't belong.

Echo and Narcissus
Some Things Are Better Left Unplugged
The Menstruating Mall

message 10: by A (new)

A (demimonde77) | 4 comments The Secret Books of Paradys by Tanith Lee is probably my favorite ever. Her Blood Opera series (vampires) is also fantastic. I guess I just love everything by her. Tanith Lee for the win!

I also second the Kushiel's Dart series by Jacqueline Carey. I just finished re-reading that series. Love it so much. (Just started a group for it here, actually.)

I love the vampire stuff, but never read the Anita Blake books. I've been looking for some new dark fantasy, so I'll definitely be checking out some of the reqs. Thanks!

message 11: by S.A. (new)

S.A. (suerule) | 1 comments Jed wrote: "I hope that I'm not going off category. To me fantasy has some magical elements and dark means no happy ending. So, please give me feedback as to any of this odd lot of suggestions doesn't belong.
..."

I'm still trying to figure out what is meant by "dark fantasy" - I like your definition. In which case I now understand why one reviewer called my book Cloak of Magic a dark fantasy. But it doesn't have vampires or traditional horror elements in it. Horror is really not my bag. But fantasy realism is. (Does that term exist or have I just made it up? Oh, I hate genres!!!)

message 12: by A (last edited Dec 19, 2008 11:28AM) (new)

A (demimonde77) | 4 comments S.A. wrote: "I like your definition... Horror is really not my bag. But fantasy realism is. (Does that term exist or have I just made it up? Oh, I hate genres!!!)"

I dunno if "fantasy realism" is a term, but I know what you mean. I love George R.R. Martin's "Song of Fire and Ice" series (#1 = Game of Thrones) because his fantasy is very realistic. And it's certainly dark, even though there's no vampires, etc. Check it out if you haven't already! :)

message 13: by Oscar (new)

Oscar | 2 comments In fantasy as a whole, i can't choose one.

In dark fantasy, Moorcock and Peake.