What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Haroun and the Sea of Stories (Khalifa Brothers, #1)
This topic is about Haroun and the Sea of Stories
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. Storyteller's son rides bird to fantasy moon [s]

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Jaitee | 6 comments I can remember a lot of things about this story EXCEPT for the names of anything. ick

The main character lives in a town of sadness. I think it actually has factories that manufacture unhappiness and his father is a storyteller. Him and his father leave to a different town and in the hotel that I think is on a boat, he finds a genie in the bathroom that tells the boy he's installing story water.

Somehow he ends up with a bird that talks and it flies him to earth's second moon that orbits so fast we can't see it. One half of the moon is always day and the other half is always night. There is an ocean there that is made of all the stories in the world and more. All stories come from there.

Then there's a fish that drinks the stories and makes new ones. It has a hundred mouths that speak at the same time. There has been a kind of pollution in the water that has been making the stories bad and the bird, the boy and the fish try to tell the people of the moon. In the city there area bunch of bald eggheads and there leader's called Walrus because of his walrus shaped mustache.

I think it's a talkative town and people have names like Blabbermouth. There's also a gardener who was made out of plants.

It's a pretty complicated stoty. I think the author's indian because all the names were strange to me. Like the fish with the many mouths was named after a word that means mouth in some language. That's probably why I can't remember any of the names. Please help if you can!

Emily | 21 comments I'm 99.9% sure the book you are thinking of is Haroun and the Sea of Stories, by Salman Rushdie. I read it years ago in high school and loved it. I love that it talks about the importance of storytelling and imagination.

message 3: by El (new)

El | 502 comments Wow, it sounds great.

Jaitee | 6 comments Yes! Thanks Emily!

Emily | 21 comments Happy to help!

message 6: by Lisa (new) - added it

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 1396 comments Hmm. Most on Goodreads have shelved this as an adult novel. Is it ya too?

Emily | 21 comments It could probably go either way. I've seen it referred to as Rushdie's "children's story," and Amazon says it is for readers ages 9-12. I'm not so sure about that. Readers of that age would probably understand the plot lines and enjoy the overall narrative, but I think that there is a lot of subtext that is better appreciated by an older reader, closer to high school age. High school is still basically YA, though, so I think it makes sense to shelve it that way. Of course, it is enjoyable for anyone!

message 8: by Lisa (new) - added it

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 1396 comments I shelved it under adult but I'll add it to the young adult shelf too. Thanks, Emily.