Happily Ever After Cafe discussion

Heroes And Heroines > Hero/Heroine Occupations

Comments Showing 1-36 of 36 (36 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Pamela(AllHoney), Fairy Godmother (new)

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) | 14526 comments There seems to be only a limited number of occupations our heroes and heroines can have in our favorite romances. Can you think of any interesting occupations you would like to see in a story?

My list...
Elevator mechanic
Garbage truck driver/Sanitary worker
Auctioneer
Calligrapher
Mediator
Grave digger
Health inspector
Leatherer
Juggler
Funeral director
Nutritionist
Referee

Can anyone come up with some more?

message 2: by Pamela(AllHoney), Fairy Godmother (new)

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) | 14526 comments How about ...
Pawnbroker
Lawn maintenance/care
Mime

message 3: by Melanie♥ (new)

Melanie♥ (meliaann) | 414 comments Read a series a while back. The family business was a tree service. Hunky guys with chain saws =)

message 4: by Julianna (last edited Jul 26, 2010 04:40PM) (new)

Julianna (authorjuliannad) | 671 comments Strangely, I've read a couple of "tree guys" too. One was an older Harlequin Superromance, where the hero was a logger, and the other was a historical inspirational with a lumberjack hero. Unfortunately, both were kind of meh for me, but I do remember thinking the heroes' professions were pretty original.

message 5: by Melanie♥ (new)

Melanie♥ (meliaann) | 414 comments I am drawing a blank on the name/author of the ones I read, but each sibling had a story. Will have to look back and see what they were.

message 6: by Pamela(AllHoney), Fairy Godmother (new)

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) | 14526 comments Ohhh, lumberjack type guys! Yummy!

message 7: by Pamela(AllHoney), Fairy Godmother (new)

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) | 14526 comments My hubby and daughter like watching Billy the exterminator.

Would you like to read a book with the hero working as an exterminator?

Unapologetic_Bookaholic @Pamela I dunno..its like you'd be thinking about pests whenever he'd be in the scene, right? LOL! Would that be sexy? Describe it in a sexy way...LOL.

message 9: by Pamela(AllHoney), Fairy Godmother (new)

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) | 14526 comments I think he could have potential if written by the right author ;)

message 10: by Pamela(AllHoney), Fairy Godmother (new)

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) | 14526 comments How about a female exterminator? I think one of our fave contemporary authors could make that one work... maybe Lori Foster, Susan Elizabeth Phillips, Jill Shalvis or someone similar....

message 11: by Pamela(AllHoney), Fairy Godmother (new)

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) | 14526 comments Ok, how about the Postman.... the hero/heroine could be the postman and gets bit by the heroine/hero's dog... lol

message 12: by Julianna (last edited Aug 08, 2010 02:57PM) (new)

Julianna (authorjuliannad) | 671 comments I actually have a romance with a mailman hero on the TBR pile, Lonely Hearts by Annie Kimberlin. There's a dog involved too, but I don't think it bites him. I haven't read it yet, so I have no idea if it's any good. Sounds cute though.

message 13: by Pamela(AllHoney), Fairy Godmother (new)

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) | 14526 comments lol I will have to see if I can find it.

message 14: by Pamela(AllHoney), Fairy Godmother (new)

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) | 14526 comments Ok, my occupation of the day is....

Pool man

Just because they would be soooooo nice to watch doing their job.

message 15: by Pamela(AllHoney), Fairy Godmother (new)

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) | 14526 comments An A/C repair and maintenance person would be good for this time of year.

message 16: by Lisa Kay, Tinker Bell (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 21897 comments LOL! Are you having trouble with your A/C, Pamela?

I don't know books with A/C repairmen as the heroes; however, I noticed your earlier posts and The Seduction of His Wife (Logger #1) by Janet Chapman is the first (and best) in a series of lumber men in Maine.

message 17: by Pamela(AllHoney), Fairy Godmother (new)

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) | 14526 comments Well, its not running as smooth as I'd like. The weather has been so hot that the a/c is running doubletime trying to keep us cool. I think we need a larger unit but the ppl who put it in probably put it in before they added on to the house.

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) | 146 comments I'd like to see more heroes who are chefs/bakers. I love a guy who can cook. There is a guy at the place I do relief work, and he used to be a baker. I am just in awe of him. :)

message 19: by Lisa Kay, Tinker Bell (last edited Jul 19, 2011 10:34AM) (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 21897 comments Oh, yes, Lady D! I watch Food Network and there are some hot chefs. I heard a comedian ask, "Hey, when did chefs become the new 'rock stars'?"

message 20: by Pamela(AllHoney), Fairy Godmother (new)

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) | 14526 comments Hmmm, yes, I love a man who can cook/bake too :)

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) | 146 comments I love watching Food Network!

message 22: by Pamela(AllHoney), Fairy Godmother (new)

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) | 14526 comments Bobby Flay? Guy? Emeril? lol I like watching it too. Also like HGTV.

message 23: by Lisa Kay, Tinker Bell (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 21897 comments I just love Alton Brown. He explains things and I think, "So that is why my mother did it that way."

message 24: by Pamela(AllHoney), Fairy Godmother (new)

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) | 14526 comments yes, I find his show informative and interesting.

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) | 146 comments I don't like Bobby Flay much. He lacks personality (at least my idea of personality). I like Guy Fiore, Tyler Florence (who I met). Alton Brown is very scientific, which is good. He's not a chef, but I like Tad (can't think of his last name). He hosts Chopped. He has a good personality.

message 26: by Lisa Kay, Tinker Bell (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 21897 comments I was watching Food Network Star and Bobby Flay is one of the judges ... anywayz... he said "Jesus Christ" the other night and they left it in! I was soooo surprised.

You met Tyler Florence! Neat. He seems very, very nice. I like Tad Allen/Alan (?) too. He was on A Queer Eye for the Straight Guy. I think he is a food critique.

message 27: by Pamela(AllHoney), Fairy Godmother (new)

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) | 14526 comments My family loves Chopped, even my daughter who is 11 yrs old. I love Guy's show too. I like Tyler but I haven't watch much of him. We catch Iron Chef America occasionally too. My daughter really loves the cake decorating show.

message 28: by Lisa Kay, Tinker Bell (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 21897 comments I love when cake decorating is on Challenges. Just wonderful. Have any of you been watching Extreme Chef? Kind of a take on Chopped. Goodness, they almost had one guy drown the other day.

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) | 146 comments I did meet Tyler. He was nice, but he was busy and kind of preoccupied. One of the girls I used to work with had Food 911 at her house. She invited me to come, which was super-sweet since I loved that show.

I love the baking shows. I'm addicted to Cupcake Wars.

My mother doesn't like Chopped, but I like the shows where the chefs/bakers get a challenge and have to be creative with they have available. I wish I was better at that. :)

message 30: by Pamela(AllHoney), Fairy Godmother (new)

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) | 14526 comments Haven't seen Extreme Chefs yet.

message 31: by Lisa Kay, Tinker Bell (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 21897 comments I like Cupcake Wars too. I cracked up when one of the judges said, "It's just an ordinary chocolate cupcake." And the contestant, who was really creative with the required ingredients, got so p!ssed, she said she was going to showcase it in her bakery and name it "NOT just an ordinary chocolate cupcake." LOL!

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) | 146 comments I saw that one, Lisa Kay. I think that the French judge can be very callous and rude with his comments. Candice is a little better, although I can tell when she doesn't like a contestant. She's a little more biting then.

That show really does challenge the contestants to be creative, resourceful, and quick!

Pamela, I'm afraid to watch that one. It looks like they cook some strange stuff.

message 33: by Pamela(AllHoney), Fairy Godmother (new)

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) | 14526 comments A Taxidermist? I don't see them as sexy hero material but could it be done?

message 34: by namericanwordcat (new)

namericanwordcat | 591 comments Lisa Kay wrote: "Oh, yes, Lady D! I watch Food Network and there are some hot chefs. I heard a comedian ask, "Hey, when did chefs become the new 'rock stars'?""

The last Lauenston latest had an awesome chef!

Big Bad Beast (Pride, #6) by Shelly Laurenston

message 35: by Lisa Kay, Tinker Bell (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 21897 comments Cali wrote: "Lisa Kay wrote: "Oh, yes, Lady D! I watch Food Network and there are some hot chefs. I heard a comedian ask, "Hey, when did chefs become the new 'rock stars'?""

The last Lauenston latest had an ..."

I haven't heard of that series. Hmmm...

message 36: by namericanwordcat (new)

namericanwordcat | 591 comments lol it is the best. And there are a couple of female plumbers, roller derby girls...