Let's talk McCarthy

Comments Showing 1-44 of 44 (44 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nathan (new)

Nathan Henrion Just curious. Too good an author not to have some discussions on

message 2: by Milo (new)

Milo (milomccowan) | 28 comments Mod
Still on. Let's hear your take on McCarthy

message 3: by Nathan (last edited Jul 25, 2010 07:15PM) (new)

Nathan Henrion McCarthy is the best, no doubt about that.

I think it would be a great idea to generate a companion author list for McCarthy fans. What authors would McCarthy fans also resonate with? I discovered Robert Olmstead Coal Black Horse and Far Bright Star which were reminiscent of Blood Meridian, a great pick-up when you are yearning for that same vibe.

Here is another question with McCarthy: His take on violence and human nature is incredibly deep, but do you think that some of his earlier novels are too inaccessible for most readers, and thus limits his general appeal? (Is that blasphemy?) NCfOM and The Road were very accessible as far as style...

message 4: by Stephen (new)

Stephen | 9 comments I would have to say yes considering I don't feel comfortable recommending "Child of God" to anybody lest they think I am a freak (though Lester Ballard is one of the most interesting characters out there).

message 5: by Nathan (new)

Nathan Henrion Stephen wrote: "I would have to say yes considering I don't feel comfortable recommending "Child of God" to anybody lest they think I am a freak (though Lester Ballard is one of the most interesting characters out..."

hahaha...no doubt

(i.e.)
Friend: Remember that book you recommended?
Nathan: Yeah
Friend: It had a scene with dead babies hanging in trees
Nathan: Umm...yeah, I guess it did.
Friend: You said it was one of your favorite books
Nathan: Uh...yeah, I did
Friend: You are a sick freak...

message 6: by David (new)

David (crzydjm) | 20 comments Nathan wrote: "McCarthy is the best, no doubt about that.

I think it would be a great idea to generate a companion author list for McCarthy fans. What authors would McCarthy fans also resonate with? I discover..."

Great post! Thanks for the recommendations; I've been wondering if any other author out there would be as interesting

message 7: by Stephen (new)

Stephen | 9 comments I recently read two of Patrick de Witt's books, really funny. I personally didn't grab a whole lot of Cormac comparisons from them but that is the word on the street.

message 8: by David (new)

David (crzydjm) | 20 comments Good books?

message 9: by Milo (new)

While we are discussing great contemporary authors let's throw James Lee Burke into the mix. One of the genuine story tellers of our time. It is rare to read detective fiction with true literary expression. None better.

message 10: by David (new)

David (crzydjm) | 20 comments Haven't read Burke. I'm usually turned off (don't really know why) by detective fiction. Maybe it's the same character over and over, still haven't put my finger on it.

message 12: by David (new)

David (crzydjm) | 20 comments Stephen wrote: "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGxqOO... sort of funny"

That was AWESOME. Only a true McCarthy fan would have come up with that.

message 13: by Scott (new)

Scott Foley (scottwilliamfoley) | 1 comments Child of God made me uncomfortable in ways I didn't realize possible, but I suppose that's the point of literature, right?

I adore most of McCarthy's works, but his Border Trilogy is by far my favorite. Though this probably sounds sexist, I love that the protagonists in those books are capable, silent, masculine men. We don't get much of that in modern literature anymore.

Sincerely,
Scott

message 14: by David (new)

David (crzydjm) | 20 comments Well said, Scott.

message 15: by Milo (new)

The Border Trilogy is also my favorite and The Crossing ranks as my favorite individual book. Pure heart tugging magic told in a manner that elevates the reader. A download of the Spanish translations is available on the Cormac McCarthy website. Nice to have it side-by-side while reading these masterpieces.

message 16: by Tim (new)

Tim McGregor | 2 comments I came across this series of photos taken by a photographer following a survey team in the southwest circa 1870. Stunning work that immediately reminded me of Blood Meridian.

Thought you guys might want to see too. Check it here

message 17: by Milo (new)

Superb, I just posted this link on Facebook. Needs to be seen by all lovers of the West

message 18: by Tim (new)

Tim McGregor | 2 comments Pretty awesome, huh? I've never seen pictures capture the scale of the place like those ones.

message 19: by Milo (new)

Great shots, thanks,
Milo
Tim wrote: "Pretty awesome, huh? I've never seen pictures capture the scale of the place like those ones."

message 20: by David (new)

David (crzydjm) | 20 comments Awesome; thanks for sharing that.

message 21: by Milo (new)

Milo wrote: "The Border Trilogy is also my favorite and The Crossing ranks as my favorite individual book. Pure heart tugging magic told in a manner that elevates the reader. A download of the Spanish translati..."

Correction... my re-read of Outer Dark just put the book in my number one position with the Crossing in 2nd place. Two Superb reads...

message 22: by David (new)

David (crzydjm) | 20 comments Wow, Milo. Now I *really* want to get Outer Dark. It's the one I haven't read of McCarthy's yet. I'm almost finished up with a Jim Harrison one, "Returning To Earth".

message 23: by Milo (new)

Jim Harrison is a great guy and fine writer. I met him in '93 in Bisbee Az at the Premier Showing of Eric Temple's Edward Abbey documentary. Had drinks and dinner with Jim. I need to return to his work again.

David wrote: "Wow, Milo. Now I *really* want to get Outer Dark. It's the one I haven't read of McCarthy's yet. I'm almost finished up with a Jim Harrison one, "Returning To Earth"."

message 24: by David (new)

David (crzydjm) | 20 comments I just finished up Returning To Earth (opened up the Goodreads app on my phone to update my status).

I actually live just south of Tucson and would LOVE to meet him. I would be willing to travel to Patagonia of he'd have me but I've not put in the legwork to track his contact info down.

message 25: by Milo (new)

Great comments and insight.

Michael wrote: "I've always found some of the best ways to find new authors is to read those authors who inspired the one in question. In this case, Faulkner and Melville were influential on McCarthy. I would stic..."

message 26: by Benjamin (new)

Benjamin Dancer | 5 comments Am I too late for this? What a great author.

message 27: by Milo (new)

never too late.. start with the Orchard Keeper aand read them all including his plays:
Sunset Limited
The Stonemason
The Gardner's Son

message 28: by Benjamin (new)

Benjamin Dancer | 5 comments I've already done that. Have you noticed how he puts an old man in most of his stories? The protagonist usually ends up in a scene with a wise old man before the story is done being told.

message 29: by David (new)

David (crzydjm) | 20 comments It is NEVER too late to have a discussion on the merits of one of our favorite authors. :-)

message 30: by Stephen (new)

Stephen | 9 comments whoah, what's the Gardner's Son?

message 31: by William (new)

William Watkins | 3 comments I know this is slightly irrelevant to the discussion in hand but I wasn't sure whereabouts to ask about which books to read and in which order. I have only read No Country for Old Men and The Road and thought both were AMAZING. I really like McCarthy but really don't know where to start with his other books as he's not that well known among my friends except for No Country and The Road. Any suggestions would be appreciated and you guys seem to know your stuff! Thanks!

message 32: by Benjamin (new)

Benjamin Dancer | 5 comments William wrote: "I know this is slightly irrelevant to the discussion in hand but I wasn't sure whereabouts to ask about which books to read and in which order. I have only read No Country for Old Men and The Road ..."

I'd read the Border Trilogy next. You're going to love it!

message 33: by William (new)

William Watkins | 3 comments Benjamin wrote: "William wrote: "I know this is slightly irrelevant to the discussion in hand but I wasn't sure whereabouts to ask about which books to read and in which order. I have only read No Country for Old M..."

Thanks, I'll definitely give it a try. Just have to get through all the books in my pile first!

message 34: by William (new)

William Watkins | 3 comments Thanks Michael, I'll definitely wait until I have finished my exams then!

message 35: by Milo (new)

William wrote: "Benjamin wrote: "William wrote: "I know this is slightly irrelevant to the discussion in hand but I wasn't sure whereabouts to ask about which books to read and in which order. I have only read No ..."
I found McCarthy when Horses was published and was lucky enough to buy a 1st edition before the book "took off". I proceeded to read the Border Trilogy and then went back to book one, The Orchard Keeper and read in chronological order all of his books.

message 36: by Shayan (last edited Jun 06, 2014 12:49PM) (new)

Shayan Foroozesh (shayanfz) | 2 comments Benjamin wrote: "I've already done that. Have you noticed how he puts an old man in most of his stories? The protagonist usually ends up in a scene with a wise old man before the story is done being told."

Benjamin this is interesting but I need a reminder. I only remember The Road and No Country for Old Men with wise old men in them. In what other books does McCarthy put in wise old men?

message 37: by Giovanni (new)

Giovanni Cocchini | 4 comments Hello guys!!!
I'm an italian fan of the Master, Cormac Mccarthy.
I'm sorry for my horrible english, but i try my best.
I think that Mccarthy is the greatest living writer, he has an incredible liric talent and he is born to write stories.
My favourite novel is blood meridian, but i also like suttree a lot.
I hope his new novel will be published soon, because i'm so exited about that.
Thanks for your attention and bye bye from all the italian fans of this amazing artist

message 38: by Shayan (new)

Shayan Foroozesh (shayanfz) | 2 comments Giovanni wrote: "Hello guys!!!
I'm sorry for my horrible english, but i try my best.
I think that Mccarthy is the greatest living writer, he has an incredible liri..."

hello and bye bye :)
and your English is good ;)

message 39: by Mon67 (new)

Mon67 | 2 comments Giovanni wrote: "Hello guys!!!

Hey Giovanni, and all. I am Italian and totally in love with the master.
I have read some of his books:
Child of God (it's a great book,and no, I am not a freak)
Blood Meridian (masterpiece)
No country for old men
The Road
Pretty Horses
The Crossing (masterpiece)

I think I need to read Outer Dark and Suttree, from what I read in this group.
I'll do that when I finish the Trilogy.

message 40: by Stephen (new)

Stephen | 9 comments Mon67 wrote: "Giovanni wrote: "Hello guys!!!

Hey Giovanni, and all. I am Italian and totally in love with the master.
I have read some of his books:
Child of G..."

read Suttree at your earliest convenience, its fantastic

message 41: by Giovanni (last edited Sep 02, 2015 10:07AM) (new)

Giovanni Cocchini | 4 comments Another italian fan of McCarthy, that's fantastic!!!

I agree with Stephen about suttree but i want also know what you think of cities of the plain, and in particular about his epilogue which is for me one of the most intresting piece of literature written in the last century

And i also wanna know the opinion of the rest of the group, of course

message 42: by Mon67 (new)

Mon67 | 2 comments I haven't read cities of the plain. I have only read The Crossing, which is a masterpiece.
Anyway that will be my next book, so we'll talk about it soon.
Ciao compare!

message 43: by Giovanni (new)

Giovanni Cocchini | 4 comments Mon67 wrote: "I haven't read cities of the plain. I have only read The Crossing, which is a masterpiece.
Ciao compare!"

Scusa avevo visto nel tuo messaggio che avevi letto sia oltre il confine sia cavalli selvaggi...quindi ho supposto che stavi leggendo città della pianura...comunque sono ansioso di sapere cosa ne pensi

Ciao ciao

message 44: by Giovanni (new)

Giovanni Cocchini | 4 comments Mon67 wrote: "I haven't read cities of the plain. I have only read The Crossing, which is a masterpiece.
Ciao compare!"

Scusa avevo visto nel tuo messaggio che avevi letto sia oltre il confine sia cavalli selvaggi...quindi ho supposto che stavi leggendo città della pianura...comunque sono ansioso di sapere cosa ne pensi

Ciao ciao