[asmb] Book Club discussion

GoodReads

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jamie (JK), Houdini Mod (new)

Jamie (JK) (eimajtl) | 703 comments Mod
So, hey, we're using GoodReads for this. Some of you may just come to this club and that'll be the extent of your use of this site, but it's so much more awesome than this group. SO MUCH MORE AWESOME.

First off, you can win free books. Yep, absolutely free. Know what the best part is? They aren't crappy books. You can win some awesome stuff on here, I've won two books so far... the first did end up crappy and I've actually not read the other. Damn hard copies.

To find the Giveaways just click "find books" up there at the top of the page and then click the "giveaways" tab on that page. It'll give you the most current, but you can look at the giveaways based on a few different categories. You can also look and see what you've entered to win so far.

The second nifty thing is the book swap. This allows people with books they don't want or books they just are okay lending out that option. It's also a good way for you to get your hands on a book you've been looking for or can't get at your local library and don't want to buy. This is also found under the "find books" page and the "swap" tab.

Thirdly, looks like I'm the only one who prefers Ebooks right now, but that's okay. The site offers a lot of eBooks. Some are for download and others are for reading on the computer. Again, it's under the "find books" page and the "eBooks" tab. Even if you aren't a fan of eBooks this is a great way to preview some books before you borrow/buy them. It sucks wasting money or time going to the library for crappy books.

For a bit more fun there is a never ending book quiz made up of user submitted questions. The question covers tons of books and different subjects, that's under the explore menu as trivia. Then something kind of similar are the quizzes - you can pick specific quizzes. Some are general, others are for specific books.

There's plenty of other things to do on the site, but those are some of the more nifty things here. I'd urge you to check out those and then the rest of the site - it really is a wonderful place.

message 2: by Glodson, MIA Mod (new)

Glodson | 235 comments Mod
This is place is pretty cool.

I still don't know half of the stuff here, and it is obvious that I have no idea what I'm doing.

I'll have to loo into the book giveaways. Free stuff always makes me happy.

message 3: by Jamie (JK), Houdini Mod (new)

I've been on the site for a year now and I'm still finding new stuff too, it's wonderful. We'll have to get Humbug in here to share any secrets he may know since he's been on the site the longest.

Book giveaways are really neat. Once you get the book they want to you to write a review of it, but it doesn't have to be anything super fancy. Just what you thought of the book. Getting the book for free, I would say that's a good trade off.

message 4: by Glodson, MIA Mod (new)

Glodson | 235 comments Mod
I don't know how much he knows. He did profess that he hasn't been that active with the site.

But maybe he does know some stuff...

message 5: by Andra (new)

Andra | 75 comments I took your advice and I just won a book in one of those giveaway things! I'm so psyched I never win anything!

message 6: by Jamie (JK), Houdini Mod (new)

That's awesome!

What book did you win?

message 7: by Andra (new)

Andra | 75 comments Revisions of
by Goodloe Byron

I'm super excited!

message 8: by Jamie (JK), Houdini Mod (new)

Very nifty. It's awesome winning books. I'm in the same boat where I've never won anything before and then I randomly won contests on here!

Oh yeah, another awesome thing I forgot to mention about this site - the authors! There are a lot of authors that actually use the site. Check out your favorite authors and see if they are a member here. It can be fun.

Though also a little tough when they decide to post in your negative review or thread of one of their books. They've been very nice, it just makes me feel kinda like a douche. >.<

message 9: by Mary (new)

Mary (med401) | 234 comments One of the authors actually friended me. I entered to win one of his books, I guess that's why. I thought he was someone from our club until I looked closer.

message 10: by Punkyplatypus (new)

Punkyplatypus | 25 comments ....i just wanted to add that there's a goodreads iphone app...i'm sure there are similar versions for other smart phones...i'm gonna use it to help hunt down our monthly reads :)...

message 11: by Dian, Crazy Nooooob Mod! :D (new)

Dian | 440 comments Mod
Yeah, there is a goodreads app, but they also just have a regular mobile version too which is what i use on my smartphone.

message 12: by Keith (new)

Keith (oafaye) | 60 comments I use the mobile version too. I really wish they would update the mobile site though, it kinda sucks >.>

message 13: by Dian, Crazy Nooooob Mod! :D (new)

Dian | 440 comments Mod
I do prefer using the full site via my phone, but that's not an option for most ppl. The mobile gives me issues

message 14: by Keith (new)

Keith (oafaye) | 60 comments The mobile version works fine on my phone, it is just severely lacking in functionality. My phone does ok running the full version of the site, but some stuff just doesn't work

message 15: by Dian, Crazy Nooooob Mod! :D (new)

Dian | 440 comments Mod
I just prefer the full site on my phone. Mainly cause it keeps zooming in when I don't want it too

message 16: by Jenn (new)

Jenn (jabauss) | 17 comments cool! I had no idea (have not explored much!)

and just so you know, I prefer eBooks now...so you are NOT alone.... :)

message 17: by Nora aka Diva, The Diva Mod (new)

Nora aka Diva (DuctTapeDiva) | 391 comments Mod
JK wrote: "So, hey, we're using GoodReads for this. Some of you may just come to this club and that'll be the extent of your use of this site, but it's so much more awesome than this group. SO MUCH MORE AWESO..."

Woot! I found a book club that completely suits My reading tastes! I am quite thrilled. Horror Aficionados is the name of it. :)

message 18: by Jamie (JK), Houdini Mod (new)

That's very awesome! Hopefully it'll turn out to be a good club for you. There's a couple other clubs on the site that I like, but not too many - like 3 or 4 others aside from this one.

message 19: by Mary (new)

Mary (med401) | 234 comments I know I could find a couple of clubs I'd enjoy besides this one but I can hardly keep up with our BotM. Well, our BotM, my library stack, First Reads, and then my non reading life. So I've avoided looking.

message 20: by Nora aka Diva, The Diva Mod (new)

Nora aka Diva (DuctTapeDiva) | 391 comments Mod
Mary wrote: "I know I could find a couple of clubs I'd enjoy besides this one but I can hardly keep up with our BotM. Well, our BotM, my library stack, First Reads, and then my non reading life. So I've avoid..."
Well so far the BotM here hasn't kept me busy. lol, one I never finished & the other I read in under an hour. so, I have time. lol. I found another club as well Koontzland for Dean Koontz fans, he happens to be my favorite author. :)