Fans of Jean Holloway "The Queen of Mystery & Suspense!" discussion

A CHAT with Jean Holloway > A chat with Jean Holloway!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 64 (64 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Bobbie (last edited Jul 22, 2010 05:36PM) (new)

Bobbie  Crawford | 43 comments Mod
Ladies & Gentlemen,

I hope that you are ready for the LIVE CHAT on Friday, July 23rd 2010. You are in for a treat!

Personal friend of mine and hugely successful author, Jean Holloway, has generously agreed to CHAT with us LIVE tomorrow night!

Date: Friday, July 23rd 2010

Time: 8:00pm EST

Place: Goodreads Group --> Jean Holloway Fans - We're Ace-aholics!

Jean will be chatting about Ace of Hearts, hopefully giving us a sneak preview of her upcoming release and more.

Jean Holloway is also giving away some FREE eBooks --- Ace of Hearts & Black Jack!!!

Excited? Me too!

THIS discussion group is where we will chat with Jean Holloway.

If you can't make it to the chat, please leave your questions and comments for you chance to win a fantastic FREE eBook!
:-)

Please enter your comments or questions below.

message 2: by Bobbie (last edited Jul 23, 2010 04:57PM) (new)

I can hardly wait!!! :-)

We will be chatting directly below!

message 3: by Jean (new)

Jean Holloway (jeanholloway) | 47 comments Mod
Me either! LOL

message 4: by Bobbie (new)

:-)

message 5: by Bobbie (new)

Hi Jean,

I would love it if you could tell us why you began writing.

What was the catalyst? :-)

message 6: by Bobbie (new)

NOTE: Please remember to refresh or reload your page every-so-often, so you can see the updated discussions (questions & answers).

Thanks a bunch!

message 7: by Jean (new)

And I thought I was bad with patience! LOL
I didn't plan on being an author. I honestly did it on a bet with my sis, Lori.

message 8: by Bobbie (new)

LOL I'm sorry, Jean ;-)

A bet with your sister, eh? Neat!

Did you have any thoughts of being an author BEFORE the bet? :-)

message 9: by Jean (new)

At 30, it wasn't til I started Ace that I knew I liked writing more than reading!

message 10: by Jean (new)

Nope, I admired writers who grabbed me, but I never thought of attempting it myself.

message 11: by Jean (new)

I was great in Math, so Dad said I would be an accountant & I was for 20 years!

message 12: by Bobbie (new)

Hmmm, that makes perfect sense!

With the bet...did you choose the ACE topic/plot or did it just come to you?

ANYONE else who is here is welcome and encouraged to comment and ask their own questions!

message 13: by Bobbie (new)

Really? I would never have guessed that you were an accountant. It is a great job though! :-)

message 14: by Jean (new)

After I took the bet, I realized I didn't know how or where to start, told hubby to drop me @ the park, so I could think. A house w/6 kids isn't condusive to writing. LOL

I started out thinking I wanted to shake people up,so I thought of some of the atrocious crimes that have been committed & wanted to add a shocker. On my 2nd trip to the park, Eric popped in & gave me the creeps.

message 15: by Bobbie (new)

Can we have an excerpt from Ace?

message 16: by Jean (new)

Accounting is boring & stressful, but it helps me understand the business end of writing.

message 17: by Jean (new)

OK, twist my arm, LOL. I'll be write back.

message 18: by Bobbie (new)

Oh...Eric! He is SOOOO evil and totally without emotion! The perfect villain for this story, really.

message 19: by Bobbie (new)

Okay! :-)

message 20: by Jean (new)

Shevaughn was at a loss. There had to be something they’d missed. The killer couldn’t be that thorough in cleaning up a crime scene, could he? She couldn’t imagine a man that brutal turning into Florence Johnston! She grabbed the Wilson file and began reading, slowly, so not to miss a word. Twenty minutes later, she was at the end of the report. Now there was nothing left but the pictures. Shevaughn hesitated for a moment and then concentrated on each picture. She tried to focus on everything except the wound, looking closely at the areas surrounding the body. Something caught her eye just as she heard a knock at the door.
“Come in.”
A clerk entered and handed her a manila envelope that contained the preliminary Goldberg report. She took it and went back to the picture, but whatever it was that had caught her attention was lost to her.
She put it aside and starting reading the new report. It seemed like a waste of time since there wasn’t anything there she could sink her teeth into, but she refused to let it deter her. She looked at the photos. The apartment almost looked haunted. It was so clean and neat. It looked like a photo from a Western catalog. She put it down, rubbing her eyes. She wondered if more experienced eyes could find something she couldn’t. If that’s what it took, maybe she should think about asking for some help. God, what if this case is too much for me? What if I don’t catch this guy? Stop doubting yourself, damn it. You’re going to solve this case, not just to prove they were right giving you this promotion, but for Tony, too. She had to do this. However, when his name came to mind, so did an unbidden thought. Could Tony have done it? She closed her eyes and shook her head negatively. No, he couldn’t have. She would prove it.
Determined, she went back to the Goldberg file.
She was looking at pictures of the bathroom when Jared walked in.
“Do you have any idea what time it is?”
Shevaughn’s tired eyes gazed up at the clock. It was almost midnight!
“What are you doing here?”
“Thought you might want some new eyes to look at the case files, so I caught a couple of Zs and came to relieve you. You need to go home and do the same.”
“I’m not ready to leave yet.”
“Oh, yes, you are. You can hardly see. Get outta here.”
“Well…I am a little tired. You’ll call me if you come up with anything?”
“You know it.”
She gathered up the files to hand to Jared when the thing that had escaped her earlier showed up with surprising clarity. In one photo, under the living room end table was a family portrait. It looked like the outline of the broken glass was almost a circular pattern. It wouldn’t have broken like that if someone had thrown it. Perhaps he’d stood on the picture and broken it with his heel. Maybe, just maybe, they could put the puzzle pieces back together and come up with a shoe print.
She called the lab, explained what she suspected and asked if they could do it. They promised to give it their best shot.
Satisfied, she left the precinct.

message 21: by Bobbie (last edited Jul 23, 2010 05:49PM) (new)

Thanks for the excerpt from Ace of Hearts, book 1 in the series! :-)

message 22: by Jean (new)

Eric was such a control freak (literally ;o)

message 23: by Bobbie (new)

I wonder if we have some quiet lurkers who are too shy to join in?

Please feel free to join in on this LIVE chat. :-)

message 24: by Jean (new)

Maybe I scared them off? LOL

message 25: by Bobbie (new)

Oh my goodness, wasn't he? ;-) Eric was one of many fictional characters that I love to hate!

message 26: by Bobbie (new)

ROFLOL I hope not.

I think that they are all just warming up to the chat, that's all. And busy reading what we're writing, no doubt. :-)

message 27: by Jean (new)

Yeah, someone said he was vampire-like?? To me Black Jack fit in that category better, but I'm getting ahead of myself, huh?

message 28: by Jean (new)

I love my bad boys (only on paper ;o)

message 29: by Bobbie (new)

So, where did the idea for the necrophilia come from? I have to admit, that shocked me a little bit.

The thing was...it really made the story more real...like I was watching your book play out, like a movie!

message 30: by Jean (new)

Like a movie, my favorite words. You know I love the macabre & you can't get more macabre than that, can you?

message 31: by Bobbie (new)

Ummm, I would say that Black Jack definitely had the more sensual, trance-like qualities of a vamp.

Eric was much more the cold-blooded, human psycho path!

message 32: by Bobbie (new)

No, you sure can't! ;-)

message 33: by Jean (new)

I think I read something about coroners (yuck) & it struck a nerve.

message 34: by Jean (new)

Yep, I want my villians to be distinctly different, memorable in their own way.

message 35: by Jean (new)

And I also wanted Tony to be the kind of guy everyone would love. That way you could understand Von's feelings.

message 36: by Bobbie (last edited Jul 23, 2010 05:33PM) (new)

The cold, hard truth of it is...psychos are CRAZY! If an author limits the characters or stifles the natural reactions or instincts of the characters, I think that it takes away too much of the story's authenticity and it ruins the story's credibility.

Well that's my opinion anyhow. :-)

message 37: by Jean (new)

Yeah, we'll see if you feel the same way after Deuces Wild! This one is creeping me out.

message 38: by Jean (new)

I thought Ace was more jarring than Black Jack, but Deuces makes Ace look like kindergarden!

message 39: by Bobbie (last edited Jul 23, 2010 05:36PM) (new)

Tony was a sweetheart without being a sappy, spineless, pushover (can you tell that I don't like weak male characters?). LOL

Tony was strong, honest and true. He was really easy to like, but I was suspicious of him for quite a while!

message 40: by Jean (new)

Women tell me Jacques didn't scare them as much as Eric 'cause they're broke! LOL

message 41: by Jean (new)

Not very trusting, huh? LOL Someone else told me they expected him to be a scounderl!

message 42: by Bobbie (new)

I felt the same way. Eric took the cake for crazy-as-hell, but Jacques was such an opportunist and so very determined --- he was still seriously twisted!

It's true though; if you didn't have a tonne of cash...you were pretty safe. ;-)

message 43: by Jean (last edited May 17, 2014 07:50PM) (new)

I don't do weak males either, but sometimes one pops up whether you want him to or not.

message 44: by Bobbie (new)

LOL so true! :-)

message 45: by Bobbie (new)

Could we have an excerpt from Black Jack? :-)

message 46: by Jean (new)

You know, when I started writing Ace, I knew if I had any success, I wanted a 4 book series. This is really all a dream come true.

message 47: by Jean (new)

Umhhh, yeah! LOL

message 48: by Jean (new)

He left for his day at the library. Today was research day. When he got there, he went directly to the microfiche machine and began looking through the newspaper obituaries for married men who died between 1980 and 1983. Their widows would be due for a little romance by now. He stayed there for hours, searching for her. His meticulous search netted seven names that merited further investigation. If some husband died and it made the first five pages of the paper, well, that meant a definite bonus because the dead man was powerful and with power came money. Their widows made excellent prospects for his future plans. Further investigation knocked five of the women off his list. He eliminated all the social butterflies, their disappearance wouldn’t go unnoticed. The first four were surrounded by way too much family and another one died last year. Now, he whittled it down to two.
He seemed to be always looking for his one big score, the one where he could retire from his life of crime and settle down. He greedily anticipated what he knew would be his biggest challenge. Helene represented a minor tidbit, a temporary fix for his extravagant tastes. He hoped it would be enough to tide him over. Wouldn’t do to have to stick to a budget. He lived by indulgence and intended to keep up his familiar and hedonistic lifestyle. Then he saw it…the headline and the article that explained how her husband died.
He felt a connection.
Engrossed, he read all he could find about the “Ace of Hearts” case. Fascinating…
This man, Eric Becker, appeared to be a kindred spirit, even though he lacked a sense of style. While reading, Becker struck him as lazy predator. Most of his victims seemed like they were chosen only by convenience since they were his co-workers, nevertheless he admired the man’s appetite. He didn’t seem to have any method to his madness and that’s what made him extremely unimaginative, in his opinion.
Ego turned out to be his downfall, naming himself, flaunting his passion in everyone’s face. Stupid fool, he should have tried to remain nameless. When he reached the end of the story, he found a surprising bonus, a childless, young widow. He forgot all about the second woman and Ace’s widow became his priority. This definitely merits some looking into.
Further investigation rewarded him with a picture taken of Terri being admitted to The Blackstone House. She looked no older than thirty-five, maybe a well-preserved forty at most. Tasty morsel compared to what I’ve dealt with lately. Lately hell, fifteen years had passed since he slept with a woman younger than himself. Admittedly, she looked quite haggard in the black and white photo. It showed a pale woman with black stringy hair and no makeup. He could tell that with a little work, she would be a knockout! He especially liked the fact that she didn’t resemble one of those hungry models. No one wants a bone, but a dog, he’d heard his uncle say many times. And he buries it.

message 49: by Bobbie (new)

I'm so very glad that your sister made the bet with you, years ago! :-)

What would I do without your books? :-) They are seriously in my all-time, top 10 favorites and I have read thousands of books!

message 50: by Jean (new)

How did you feel about the Jacques/Terri connection? I actually felt sorry for him when he started falling in love!

« previous 1