What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Query abandoned by poster > ABANDONED. Adult Fiction - Set in Germany during WWII

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jennifer Annan (new)

Jennifer Annan House (jannanhouse) | 10 comments This book was set in Germany during World War II in a village near a concentration camp. I can't remember the title or any character names...just that it was an absorbing read and I would like to reread it.

message 2: by Carmen (new)

Carmen | 46 comments Jennifer, could you give us more information. Year you read it, Year published, some plot or characteristics of the protagonist??

message 3: by Jennifer Annan (new)

Jennifer Annan House (jannanhouse) | 10 comments I read it some time between 2003 and 2007, and it was a new book at the time. It was probably 200 - 250 pages max, in soft cover, and it told the story of the relationship between the villagers and the prisoners at the concentration camp. I recently visited Germany and that's when I remembered the book...

message 4: by Jan (new)

Jan (auntyjan) wasn't Boy in the striped pyjamas..by any chance? One boy on the inside and one on the outside?

message 5: by Jennifer Annan (new)

Jennifer Annan House (jannanhouse) | 10 comments No, it wasn't, but similar. Arghhh!! (but thanks for helping!)

message 6: by Steffi (new)

Steffi Could it be:
Anna Seghers: The Seventh Cross
Markus Zusak: The Book Thief

message 7: by Jennifer Annan (new)

Jennifer Annan House (jannanhouse) | 10 comments No...I started The Book Thief this year...still need to finish it...and I've never heard of The Seventh Cross but I will look up that one. Thanks for your suggestions!

message 8: by Chris (new)

Chris Antenen Jennifer wrote: "This book was set in Germany during World War II in a village near a concentration camp. I can't remember the title or any character names...just that it was an absorbing read and I would like to r..." I think it was The Book Thief, excellent book.

message 9: by Chris (new)

Chris Antenen Sorry. I was really sure. Let us all know when you find out.

message 10: by Jennifer Annan (new)

Jennifer Annan House (jannanhouse) | 10 comments I sure will, and thanks for your help.

message 11: by Deb (new)

Deb | 48 comments Those Who Save Us by Jenna Blum has a young woman who passes bread to those in the concentration camp...

message 12: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 39562 comments Mod
Was it YA or adult?

message 13: by Jennifer Annan (new)

Jennifer Annan House (jannanhouse) | 10 comments Adult. And I still haven't found it. Thanks for trying.

message 14: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Jennifer Annan, are you still looking for this book?

message 15: by Jennifer Annan (new)

Jennifer Annan House (jannanhouse) | 10 comments Yes, have you found it?

message 16: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

No...it wasn't Deb's suggestion of Those Who Save Us?

message 17: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

How about None Shall Know?

message 18: by Jennifer Annan (new)

Jennifer Annan House (jannanhouse) | 10 comments No, although the first one seems close to it.

message 19: by Tab (new)

Tab (tabbrown) | 5046 comments Do you remember anything about the cover?
Anything about about any of the characters? Did it take place during the beginning, middle, or towards the end of the war?

message 20: by Jennifer Annan (new)

Jennifer Annan House (jannanhouse) | 10 comments Thanks for your reply. I don't remember the cover at all. I remembered the book when I was touring Dachau in 2010 and it came back to me. I would say beginning to middle of the war. The children living outside of Dachau didn't realize why the children were imprisoned.

message 22: by Jennifer Annan (new)

Jennifer Annan House (jannanhouse) | 10 comments No...I thought it could be but picked up a copy and it was not. Thanks for trying.

message 23: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Still looking?

message 24: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl wrote: "Still looking?"

No response. Moving to Abandoned.