Stephen King Fans discussion

Short Stories & Collections > Different Seasons-mark spoilers

Comments Showing 1-50 of 55 (55 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Hayley (new)

Hayley | 83 comments I'm currently reading different seasons and I am really enjoying the 4 novella's. My favourite was The Body, stories that revolve around friendships are always great reads.

Has anyone else read different seasons?

message 2: by Dan (new)

Dan | 34 comments Oh yes, what a great book! They are all amazing novella's, it would be hard to pick a favourite.

Apt Pupil is probably the most thought provoking example of the darker side of the human condition.

The one that gets the least amount of attention 'The Breathing Method' reminds me so much of M.R James' ghost stories.

I also love the minor references thrown in and the way each story is linked by a 'different season'. Great book.

message 3: by Hayley (new)

Hayley | 83 comments I agree, I love the fact they are linked in some way or another. Also, Ace Merrill(I think thats right) is in The Body but also in a number of other King books, I suppose setting your stories in Castle Rock will mean you revisit all your characters as long as they come out of the last story alive.

I've just started reading 'The Breathing Method'so am looking forward to something special, especially since the other 3 Novella's are brilliant.

message 4: by Hayley (new)

Hayley | 83 comments I'm really looking forward to reading the rest of The Breathing Method. I wondered if Stand By Me was the The Body - I recognised the story.

Ashok have you seen the film adpatation(sp) of The Apt Pupil - I would like to see it.

message 5: by Dan (new)

Dan | 34 comments I've seen the adaptation of The Apt Pupil. I was extremely disappointed with it, not even Sir Ian Mckellen could redeem it. Seriously, I wouldn't even bother. It's a shame though, because it's a cracking story. That's the thing about book-to-film adaptation, they're either done successfully or not. In this case, not. The disgust and paranoia one feels when reading Apt Pupil, must have been the hardest thing to translate to film and I personally didn't feel like they pulled it off. Shame!

Let us know what you think of The Breathing Method, it's highly underrated in my honest opinion.

message 6: by Steve (last edited Jun 25, 2008 12:17PM) (new)

Steve | 247 comments I don't have an ounce of enjoyment from my initial read of Apt Pupil, and I'm not really sure I can salvage the prospect of trying to again. Such an unpleasant story, even for King standards (Richard Bachman probably ghosted it? :))
That said, the 3 others are standout King works which showed the world that he wasn't a one-trick pony in lit.

message 7: by Hayley (new)

Hayley | 83 comments I found Apt Pupil one of the hardest to read because no matter what the man had done in his past he was old and did not deserve to be treeated in such a way - it would have been more humane if the old guy had turned himself in before it was to late to turn back.

Dan, I'm struggling a bit with Breathing Method, maybe I need to have some time to just seat down and get stuck in. At the moment I'm reading a couple of pages at a time which doesn't help the flow of the story. I will make it my aim for the weekend - to finish the Breathing Method.

message 8: by Dan (new)

Dan | 34 comments Hayley, keep with it. It's a bit of a slow burner, definitely not as readable as the other stories.

It does kind of feel like the odd story out of the four, but it definitely has it's charm. Then you can start reading The Stand. Go on, you know you want to.

message 9: by Hayley (new)

Hayley | 83 comments I'm going to order The Stand off Amazon but I know what I'll do because I'm a nightmare for it - I'll get the Stand and start reading it straight away.
I was in Waterstones (MAnchester has a massive one) and there was quite a few King books I hadn't read so i will be purchasing them as soon as I can - I'm going to need more storage space.

message 10: by Dan (last edited Jun 26, 2008 02:03AM) (new)

Dan | 34 comments It's worth it. The Stand is an epic read, the characters live in your mind forever after reading it. I can't recommend it enough! Stay away from the mini-series though.

Storage space, I know what you're saying! I have a terrible habit, especially with King, of re-buying books I have, just for the different cover.

And whilst I'm on the subject I don't like the new covers of the King back catalogue. You've probably seen them in Waterstones, block colours, unimaginative.

message 11: by Hayley (new)

Hayley | 83 comments I know, I perfer the old 80's covers with a graphic picture on the front - my mum is a big King fan (I read Gerald's game at 14 because my mum had a copy) and she had the quite a few with the old covers.

I'm about to redecorate my room and my dad is going to put up shelves in the alcoves so that I can store my books better.

I just ordered The Stand of Amazon and used Amazon Prime so I'll get the book tomorrow - I'm so excited.

message 12: by Hayley (new)

Hayley | 83 comments I def agree with you there Ashok and once I've read Breathing Method I'll be able to comment more - my favourite is definitely The Body. once I've read Breathing Method I'm going to tackle The Stand - bring it on!!

message 13: by Joanie (new)

Joanie | 59 comments I have this book and know I definitely read "The Body" and "Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redeption" but I can't remember if I read the other two-I'm going to have to dig it out and re-read the whole thing.

message 14: by Hayley (new)

Hayley | 83 comments I would Joanie, I've liked the first three storys and am currently getting into Breathing Method - I'll definitely be reading them again.

message 15: by Hayley (new)

Hayley | 83 comments I'm really forward to reading The Stand - Amazon are doing a months free trail of Amazon Prime so i'll get the book tomorrow - my friday night is going to consist of a reading of The Stand. I'm going to try and finish reading the Breathing Method tonight so that tmorrow I can concentrate on The Stand.

message 16: by Hayley (new)

Hayley | 83 comments I finially finished reading the Breathing Method and loved it, it is a slow burner but I did not expect it to end the way it did - I mean that poor woman. King definitley knows how to add a bit of horror to a story.

message 17: by Joe (new)

Joe Golden | 49 comments Different Seasons is the best thing Ive ever read by Steven king.I read the first 3 stories several times.There that good. The 3eds not as good but the first three make up for it.Enjoy!

message 18: by Joe (new)

Joe Golden | 49 comments Apt pupil was the worst movie adpatation.They changed too many things and was a huge bomb.
Stand by me was the body.The Shawshank redemption was the best transfomation from page to screen to me.

message 19: by Hayley (new)

Hayley | 83 comments The only thing with the The Shawshank Redemption was the acsting of Red, the book describes Red as being a red head(if I remember rightly) yet the cast Morgan Freeman in the part - as I was reading the book, I could actually "hear" Morgan Freeman as the narrator of the story.

The four storoies definitley show that King can write just about anything he puts his hand too - I can't wait to get started on The Stand but I'm still waiting for it to be posted.

message 20: by Moon (new)

Moon I didn't really like "The Body" when I read these novellas. But I greatly enjoyed "The Breathing Method". It's been so long since I read Different Seasons that I think it's long overdue for a re-read.

message 21: by Jc11king (last edited Nov 12, 2010 02:17PM) (new)

Jc11king | 103 comments I read Apt Pupil, The Body and The Breathing Method when I was 15.
I read Rita Hayworth & Shawshank Redemption earlier this year. I plan to reread the last 3.

Oh by the way, if any of you like Metal...I found a song about Apt Pupil by Anthrax.
It is called "A Skeleton in the Closet"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zm0JT5...

message 22: by Chris , The Hardcase (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 1117 comments Mod
That song is on the Anthrax album "Among the Living". The title track is about Randall Flagg, and he's on the cover: http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I...

message 23: by Kit★ (new)

Kit★ (xkittyxlzt) | 609 comments I just finished re-reading this and I thought it was amazing!! Here's my review, marked in case of any spoilers: (view spoiler)

Let me know what you guys think :)

message 24: by Grant (new)

Grant Spendlove | 93 comments Whenever I read "The Breathing Method," I can see myself in that club, sitting in the reading library with a good novel by Edward Gray Seville, watching the stop-and-go light through the frosty window. Anybody besides me think that, if they ever adapt this into a movie, only the great Robert De Niro should be allowed to play Stevens? And who would you choose to play the various club members?

"Rita Hayworth and Shawshank Redemption" remains, not just one of the best King stories ever written, but one of the best stories ever written by anyone. And I still say that, despite being a big fan of O. Henry, Edgar Allan Poe (can't wait for "The Raven"), Mark Twain and H.P. Lovecraft. There's a reason this story spawned the best King film adaptation.

"Apt Pupil": Damn! Does this story pack a wallop! There but for the grace of God, y'know? And King is 100% right about our fascination with the Nazis. Do you think that if any journalist living today had the means and opportunity to resurrect Adolf Hitler (or Osama bin Laden, or Jeffrey Dahmer for that matter), and interview him about what, how, why, that that journalist would take a pass?

"The Body": The less blah blah blah about this one, the better. Read it and weep.

message 25: by Steve (new)

Steve | 247 comments Whoa. You didnt like The Body at all? Huh. Apt Pupil is the one I did not enjoy.

message 26: by Lena (last edited Sep 23, 2011 06:30PM) (new)

Lena | 91 comments I loved this one--The Body is to this day one of my favorite shorts ever. I remember the first 3 stories vividly, found the 4th disappointing after the others.

I know I'm a minority, but I thought Shawshank Redemption (the movie) fell far, FAR below the novella. Maybe I saw the movie too soon after reading and no movie could really measure up. Also, again in the minority here, I thought the movie for "Apt Pupil" was alright. Less disappointing than Shawshank for me. The Body & Stand by Me--loved them both.

message 27: by Grant (new)

Grant Spendlove | 93 comments Wait, I think some people may have gotten me wrong. Maybe it's my fault -- I shouldn't have put it the way I did. What I meant by the "blah blah blah" comment is that words can never do this story justice. I've seen a lot written about "The Body," but I don't think any of it really expresses what a good story it is. I don't think any commentary or review or criticism could. "Read it and weep" meant it will affect you , perhaps deeply, forever.

The part of that story that most affects me now, as I'm getting older, is where the grown-up Gordon is talking about his thoughts on going back to look for the berrying pot he's sure Ray Brower was carrying.

message 28: by Bianca (new)

Bianca I received a copy of "Different Seasons" from my father on my 16th birthday. When I came home from school and saw the book standing on my writing desk, I was overwhelmed with joy .
I started reading the book later that day and I fell in love with each one of the stories!
"The Shawshank Redemption" was wonderfully-written (and I agree that the movie is one of the best Stephen King-adaptations), "Apt Pupil" was addictive, "The Body" was one of the best friendship stories I had ever read and "The Breathing Method" managed to shock me (I vividly remember the scene after the accident).
To sum up, I have to say that "Different Seasons" is a 'must' for any King fan. And I think it deserves a re-read.

message 29: by Olga (new)

Olga Kowalska (WielkiBuk) (bombeletta) | 1 comments I am currently reading this book and I must agree, it is amazing! I'm on the last novella "The Breathing Method" (no spoilers please) and I can't wait to find out what is this mystery club all about :)
So far "Apt pupil" is my favourite: the transformation of the boy is unbelievable...
I agree with Bianca: it is a must!

message 30: by Scott (new)

Scott | 401 comments I could have sworn that Apt Pupil was the last story in the book that I read. I guess I could easily be wrong though since it has been about 20 years since I read it.

message 31: by Dustin (new)

Dustin Kyle wrote: "Apt Pupil and The Breathing Method. I have to agree, those two were stand outs!"

They are all stand outs for me.:)

message 32: by Angie, Constant Reader (new)

Angie | 2572 comments Mod
I can't wait to get my hands on this book!!

message 33: by Cormac (new)

Cormac Zoso (Cormac_Zoso) | 11 comments I'm just sitting down now to start 'Different Seasons' for the November Group Read. I read it when it first came out ... and just looking it was WOW 30 years ago this past August 27. I believe I reread the three novellas when the movies were made of them ... 'The Breathing Method' being the one not made into a film. Three out of four ain't bad tho ;) ... but frankly, the plot of 'Breathing' completely escapes me. It will be nice to be re-introduced tho lol ...

message 34: by Angie, Constant Reader (new)

Cormac wrote: "I'm just sitting down now to start 'Different Seasons' for the November Group Read. I read it when it first came out ... and just looking it was WOW 30 years ago this past August 27. I believe I re..."

Do you mark the dates in the books when you read them?

message 35: by Cormac (last edited Nov 02, 2012 07:31PM) (new)

Cormac Zoso (Cormac_Zoso) | 11 comments Angie wrote: "Cormac wrote: "I'm just sitting down now to start 'Different Seasons' for the November Group Read. I read it when it first came out ... and just looking it was WOW 30 years ago this past August 27...."
oh no i don't lol ... i see how you might get that impression but it was released aug 27, 1982, that's just why i mentioned it in my post :) but it's not a bad idea i guess, listing the dates you've read them since there are several stephen king books i've read quite a few times ... it would be nice to know just how many times i have read them :)

one in particular i'd be interested in knowing a full tally on is 'The Stand' there was about about a ten or twelve year period there a friend of mine and i would read it together once a year ... i haven't kept up on the once a year reads for a long time but probably still reread it every two or three years ... might be a good poll to post for this group of hardcore constant readers :)

btw i really like the pic of the 'dancing in the rain' on your profile page :) very cool

:)

message 36: by Angie, Constant Reader (new)

Thanks!

message 37: by [deleted user] (new)

I read Different Seasons when I was very young, I never really "got" any of the stories. I'm currently doing a chronological re-read of all King's work and I have to admit I approached this book with a lot of trepidation. I was pleasantly surprised.

My 31 year old self seemed to understand the complexities of the stories in a way I couldn't grasp the first time around.

My favourite one this time around had to be Apt Pupil, I found it to be the most terrifying and spent weeks afterwards researching the holocaust, the real horror came in the knowledge this story led me to. Something that I'd only known of in the style of diluted grade ten history lessons.

I enjoyed every other story almost as much, The Breathing Method is a close second favourite mostly because it's just so absolutely bizarre.

On a side note: Has anyone else picked up on the slight (very slight) homo-erotic undertones in each story? Or is it just me?

message 38: by Casey (new)

Casey Gonzales I've only read Shawshank and Apt Pupil; both were great and I'm unsure why I never finished it. I read them as a teenager. I was wondering: Do you think it is necessary to read the novellas in order?

message 39: by [deleted user] (new)

I don't know if I ever read Different Seasons complete. I've read Shawshank and The Body before, not sure about the other two.
I reread Shawshank and liked it a lot, I started with Apt Pupil but I realy don't like that story, I came half through. Then started The Breathing Methode because I believe I never read that story, rejected that after a few pages. I didn't want to spoil my memories about the Body.
All but all not as satisfying as expected.

message 40: by Gabo (new)

Gabo (gaboignacio) I finished the book yesterday and all I can say is; excellent. I liked the four stories, but I really loved "The Breathing Method". It started a bit slow to my taste, but as reading progressed I was caught by that New York apartment and the stories told within its walls. Apt Pupil was, I think, the weakest story of the four, not for the tale itself, but mostly because of the ending, it was very sudden and not really what I had in mind.

message 41: by A.D. (new)

A.D. Koboah (adkoboah) | 76 comments Hi Guys

This guy in The Guardian newspaper has been re-reading all of Stephen King’s books in the order that he wrote them. He is reviewing Different Seasons this week.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/books...

Enjoy!

ADK x

message 42: by Gareth (new)

Gareth Evans (the_daddy2009) | 1 comments Just finished my 2nd King novella, The Brething Method was superb.

message 43: by Squire (new)

Squire (srboone) | 11 comments Ironically, my favorite of these 4 novellas is the only one that hasn't been made into a movie (The Breathing Method); and my least favorite was made into one of the best SK movies (Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption).

message 44: by Aditya (new)

Aditya Squire wrote: "Ironically, my favorite of these 4 novellas is the only one that hasn't been made into a movie (The Breathing Method); and my least favorite was made into one of the best SK movies (Rita Hayworth a..."

Just finished Different Seasons must agree that Shawshank was the weakest of the 4(never thought i would be saying that after seeing the film) though it was still a great read 4/5.
I think the reason behind it is that i saw the movie first & this is one such rare case where the movie was far greater then the book.The best of the book had to be The Body.

message 45: by Squire (new)

Squire (srboone) | 11 comments I think the reason "Shawshank" made a better movie than a story is becaue the story focused on Red. So you either "got him" or you didn't. The movie expanded upon the base of characters you to whom viewers could relate. Even though, "Shawshank" is still Red's movie, more people seemed to identify with Andy than any other characer. And that's the genius of the movie: a generic prison escape movie would have been uninteresting. But a prison escape movie from the perspective of an unknowing facillatator makes it universal. The viewer is forced to ask 2 questions: 1) What IS the Shawshank repedmption? And 2) WHO got redeemed?

The answer to the 2nd is, of course, Red. Andy never got redeemed. He started out the movie believing he was innocent, and he ended the movie still believing that. The fact that he escaped doesn't really matter.

That makes Andy the answer to the first question. anyway the point is, there were more ways to access the movie than the book.

message 46: by Aditya (new)

Aditya I wanted to imply some of the same points when i said the movie is much better but you obviously made your points in a manner far eloquent than mine.I would like to add that the movie is much better because it has a more satisfying ending.The payoff is more substantial like a less ambiguous ending & that Andy actually swindles the money from the warden rather than living off his own savings.

message 47: by Katie (new)

Katie GW (katieteacup) | 7 comments I bought this book not really knowing what to expect but I was pleasantly surprised.

I have only watched the film version of The Body out of the stories but that is one of my favorite films! Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption, The Body and Apt Pupil were absolutely amazing! I could not stop reading this collection of tales, I remember reading it in every spare moment over a couple of days.

Looking back, I am a neutral by The Breathing Method. I admit it was good and it definitely captivated my interest but I believe it paled in comparison to the the other three stories.

I passed the book onto a friend and she asked me which short story was my favorite but I just can't pick!

message 48: by Kat (new)

Kat (katsobsession) | 40 comments Grant wrote: "Whenever I read "The Breathing Method," I can see myself in that club, sitting in the reading library with a good novel by Edward Gray Seville, watching the stop-and-go light through the frosty win..."

Have to agree with you on this one! I didn't like The Body much at all, found it boring. The other 3 stories are excellent, and are some of my favorites. If I had to pick a favorite....I'm not sure I could. Always did like The Breathing Method tho, I love that building! Apt Pupil, very good, scary and gives you the creeps. I need to watch Shawshank Redemption, I love the story, never seen the movie.

message 49: by Aditya (new)

Aditya Kat wrote: " I didn't like The Body much at all, found it boring."

I thought The Body was the best of the lot though i agree it moved at a slow pace, the ending & the characters made up for it.

message 50: by Katie (new)

Katie GW (katieteacup) | 7 comments Aditya wrote: "Kat wrote: " I didn't like The Body much at all, found it boring."

I thought The Body was the best of the lot though i agree it moved at a slow pace, the ending & the characters made up for it."

I totally agree you! I loved the film just as much :)

« previous 1