Friends of Independent Bookstores discussion

Where do you go?

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Abbeville (new)

Abbeville Press (abbevillepress) | 1 comments What Independent stores do you like to frequent?

We might as well promote the places we like to go, so as to further the independent movement.

We at Abbeville enjoy the Raconteur for one, located in the quaint little town of Metuchen, NJ.

How about you?

message 2: by James (new)

James | 6 comments In Albuquerque I like Page One, Page One Too (their used bookstore), and Title Wave (also a used bookstore.)

message 3: by Nancy (new)

Nancy | 1 comments I am lucky to live in a city that has many independent bookstores (except one of my favorite small ones, Michael Coy Books & Espresso recently closed). The three biggest are Elliott Bay Book Company, University Book Store, and Third Place Books. There's also a great mystery bookstore, with very knowledgeable employees; it's called Seattle Mystery Bookshop

message 4: by Sue (last edited Jul 05, 2008 10:25AM) (new)

Sue (suedomis) | 1 comments I work in a wonderful book and gift shop in Yakima, Wa., called Inklings Bookshop. Inklings would still be my favorite bookshop even if I didn't work there. When in Seattle I love the Un. of Wa. Bookstore,& Elliot Bay Bookstore, and when in Edmonds, Wa. I love Edmonds bookshop (I worked there many years ago).When in Leavenworth, WA. I like A Book for All Seasons, and in Portland, Or,we go to Powells downtown.

message 5: by Kim (new)

Kim I love the Ravenna Third Place Books (and Honey Bear Bakery) in Seattle. It's cozy yet has a huge selection, with new and used books. Plus, they give teachers a discount on all books, not just those that are for the classroom.

message 6: by Bradley (last edited Aug 04, 2008 10:11AM) (new)

Bradley | 1 comments There is a quaint used bookstore called the Neverending Story in Lapeer.. and a small indie bookstore called the Bookshelf in Lapeer as well. Neither of them are interested in selling my book however. =) I range far and wide for my books. =) Btw, I am from Michigan. hehehe =)

message 7: by Mary (last edited Sep 02, 2008 11:10AM) (new)

Mary | 1 comments Ok, I'm biased, because I work there, but:

The Learned Owl Bookshop in Hudson, Ohio is very special. Three floors two of which you don't really notice are there unless you look, friendly people (customers & staff) & homey feel. Check it out if you're in our neck of the woods.

Another favorite: Atticus books in New Haven CT. Does anybody know if it's still around. Such a lovely, soothing place...

message 8: by A.S. (new)

A.S. | 1 comments Moravian Book Shop in Bethlehem, PA, Clinton Book Shop in Clinton NJ and the Chester County Book and Music Company in West Chester, PA are my three favorites. Each is special for different reasons I won't bore you with, but well worth the hour+ drive from my house!

message 9: by Nina (new)

Nina | 11 comments Boulder Bookstore on the Pearl St Mall in Boulder CO. I can spend hours roaming the shelves. And the Tattered Cover in Denver.

message 10: by lisa_emily (new)

lisa_emily | 2 comments I'm very luck to live in Oakland, right across the bay from San Francisco and next to Berkeley. Independent bookstores are so plentiful that I never buy from Amazon's or from the big chains; however, even here there is a possibility of losing one of your favorite stores, as we have seen Cody's failure-a very sad day.

Bookstores I frequent:
Pegasus & Pendragon - its three locations, one in Oakland, two in Berkeley; Diesel on College Ave.; Moe's & Shakespeare's Books on Telegraph, Black Swan & Spectator Books on Piedmont Ave; City Lights in SF, Modern Times, Dog-Eared Books, Adobe Books- all in the Mission, SF; Booksmith in the Haight.

Bookstores I don't go to that often, but still really love: GreenApple in SF, Serendipity in Berkeley and Bibliomania in Oakland. But truth be told, I will pretty much go into any independent bookstore I come across, I bought a few books last weekend in Alameda, but I don't even remember the name.

message 11: by Jan (new)

Jan (jansteckel) | 6 comments When we were looking for a home in the Laurel District of Oakland, California, we made an offer on one place because it was a block away from the Laurel Bookstore, an indie bookstore with a friendly owner, Luann Stass. Though we ended up in another home, we still walk 3/4 of a mile to the Laurel Bookstore as often as we can to browse or buy books, chat with the friendly staff and owner, or look for listed readings or community news. When my first poetry chapbook was published, the bookstore hosted a reading. Now we like to bring friends and relatives there to pick out their own birthday and holiday presents.

Like lisa_emily above, we also like Pegasus, Pendragon, Diesel, and Moe's. I'd add Walden Pond books in Lakeshore, another neighborhood where we used to live.

message 12: by James (new)

James | 6 comments In addition to the two local bookstores I visit often here in Albuquerque, Page One and Title Wave, I like to go to www.bookfinder.com, or to eBay/Half.com, and often get books online from small non-chain stores via those two websites. Can't beat'em for selection or price, either.

message 13: by lisa_emily (new)

lisa_emily | 2 comments Yes, Walden's too- how could I forget.

Jan- thanks for the tip on l\Laurel Bookstore, I rarely go to that neighborhood, I will have to check it out.

message 14: by Jan (new)

Jan (jansteckel) | 6 comments And we'll have to check out Black Swan and Spectator books on Piedmont Ave., lisa_emily, thanks.

message 15: by Nina (last edited Nov 20, 2008 04:34AM) (new)

Nina | 11 comments Robins Bookstore in Philly is a wonderful indie store-they have readings constantly and are a huge support to the writing community. They also have a nice used book section.

message 16: by Louise (new)

Louise Chambers (louisec303) My favorite is Tattered Cover Bookstores in Denver, Colorado. I prefer the LoDo (Lower Downtown) location in the heart of the historic preservation district of Denver.

I am also extremely fond of Capitol Hill Used Books in Denver. Poetry books and cookbooks galore!

message 17: by Nina (new)

Nina | 11 comments I'm not familiar with Capitol Hill, I've got it on my check-it-out list next time I'm in Denver. I agree about the LoDO location

message 18: by Nina (new)

Nina | 11 comments I just received a very distressing e-mail from the publisher of Philadelphia Stories. There was sad news for the world of independent publishing last week: Robin's Book Store, Philadelphia's oldest independent book seller, is going out of business after 73 years. In the words of owner Larry Robin: "Operating a book store was always a better hobby than a way to make a living, but now it is impossible. Blame it on the Economy. Blame it on the Chain Stores. Blame it on the Internet. Blame it on Reading Habits."

This is so sad.

message 19: by Carol (last edited Dec 22, 2008 09:33AM) (new)

Carol | 3 comments Elliott Bay Books, 3rd PlaceBooks & 3rd Place 65th street, Fremont Bookstore, Open Books, a Poem Emporium (45 st.- Wallingford) all in Seattle!!! and more--

message 20: by Nina (new)

Nina | 11 comments Any recommendations for San Diego, Gaslamp area?

message 21: by Jess (new)

Jess | 1 comments I've seen it here a few times, but I'm adding my vote for The Tattered Cover in Denver, Colorado. I could spend days in there...And they would welcome me, too. If you're ever in CO, make it a must-see stop

message 22: by Bruce (new)

Bruce I'd like to recommend two bookstores in the New Hampshire Seacoast area. They are River Run books in Portsmouth and Water Street in Exeter. Both have friendly and knowledgeable staff. I am a trustee of the library in Stratham, and Water Street has been a great partner for us.
Also, in the Bay Area, if you get down to Santa Cruz, you should take a look at both Bookshop Santa Cruz, and Logos (which specializes in used books). Several years ago, while I still lived in Santa Cruz, Crown Books opened a store across the street from Bookshop Santa Cruz and one of their VPs said they would "put them out of business in six months". The town rallied around Neal Coonerty (the owner), and Crown Books was never able to make a go of it - proof than we can push back against the chains if we collectively make the effort!

message 23: by Kate (new)

Kate (kpaone92) | 1 comments I'm in Chicago, IL and I'm happy to say that indie book stores are still around and doing great things in our area. I frequent Quimby's, Women and Children First, and Book Cellar, most often.

message 24: by Lisa (new)

Lisa At Oblong (lisaatoblong) | 1 comments If you are ever in the area where Massachusetts, Connecticut, and New York meet, please stop in at Oblong Books and Music in Millerton, NY. We have been in business for 33 years and opened a second store in Rhinebeck, NY 9 years ago. We have been named "Best of the Hudson Valley" by Hudson Valley Magazine 4 years in a row! I started working here over 20 years ago when the owners asked me if I would watch the store while they got a cup of coffee. I have been here ever since.

message 25: by Louise (new)

Louise Chambers (louisec303) I just took my out of town vistor to the new Tattered Cover on Colfax Ave. in Denver. She was wowed! I like it alot myself. It is so roomy and so many books.

Now that they have used books, it's even more of an adventure.

message 26: by Alex (new)

Alex Melnick (aemelnick) New to the group. Thought I'd revive this old thread.

One of my favorites is Russian Hill Books in San Francisco. I work at Diesel in Brentwood [Los Angeles], so I like it, of course. I also still like one of my former employers, Books Inc. in San Francisco.

message 27: by Jan (new)

Jan (jansteckel) | 6 comments Alex wrote: "New to the group. Thought I'd revive this old thread.

One of my favorites is Russian Hill Books in San Francisco. I work at Diesel in Brentwood [Los Angeles], so I like it, of course. I also sti..."

I like Diesel here in Oakland on College Ave.

message 28: by Carol (new)

Carol | 3 comments Oh the joy of living in Seattle. Open Books/a poem emporium (poetry only!!) http://openpoetrybooks.com, Secret Garden books www.secretgardenbooks.com/, Elliott Bay Book Company www.elliottbaybook.com, Couth Buzzard Books www.buonobuzzard.com, & there are more!! Eagle Harbor Books (in Winslow on Bainbridge is) Queen Anne Books, The University Bookstore, and and on— yippee