THE JAMES MASON COMMUNITY BOOK CLUB discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archives - Fun Stuff > 75 Signs You're A Bibliophile

Comments Showing 1-50 of 61 (61 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (lissieb7) | 52 comments My husband found this and sent it to me. I thought you all might enjoy it as well.

http://www.universityreviewsonline.co...

message 2: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. Very clever Melissa :D

message 3: by Kate (new)

Kate (kpaone92) | 1 comments Very funny and oh so true! Does it make you a bibliophile for life if you print out all 75 of these reasons and hang them over your writing desk to remind yourself every single day (while you drink your coffee) that this is why you fell in love with reading and writing in the first place?

message 4: by Jill (new)

Jill Hutchinson (bucs1960) Melissa.........what a great list!!! I found myself in many of those reasons and, like Kate, I have printed the list and will hang it over my desk. So now we know why we are bibliophiles for life!!!!! Thanks for sharing.

Rick-Founder JM CM BOOK CLUB  | 7278 comments Mod
VERY FUNNY!!!- love the Harold Bloom quip best- I guess he is (was?) a genuis in his critiques- I just dont get him at all- and have no intent to claim I do to impress others.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

I particularly like No.15 the one about catching public transport. I have been catching the slow train to work so I get an extra 15 minutes reading time. :)

message 7: by Jaleh Rose (new)

Jaleh Rose | 4 comments Haha...number 20 is so true...it's why Belle is my favorite Disney princess

message 8: by Tracey (new)

Tracey Alley (traceya) Absolutely hilarious and almost undeniably true - I hit so many yes's on that list it was scary :)

message 9: by David (new)

David Peters Is it just me, but everytime I see a great trailer for a movie or tv show I automatically wonder if it is based on a book. Then if it is I read it right away and then often don't watch the movie.

David wrote: "Is it just me, but everytime I see a great trailer for a movie or tv show I automatically wonder if it is based on a book. Then if it is I read it right away and then often don't watch the movie."

not just you- if I have to choose the book or the movie- I choose the book- with rare exceptions (To Kill A Mockingbird, A River Runs Through It- which was a double winner- great book by Norman MaClean- great film by Redford)

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

Rick, Harold Bloom's an interesting fellow. I'm not one for literary criticism, but I've always admired Bloom, if for no other reason than his ardent objection of the continuing politicization of literary study in American universities. (I know I'm sounding like a pretentious fool, but it's okay, because I am.)
Also, I get the feeling, from what few articles of his I've read, that he is a true lover of literature. His passion comes across in his writing, and you don't get that in a lot of literary criticism.
And finally, this article was great.

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

Rick wrote: "David wrote: "Is it just me, but everytime I see a great trailer for a movie or tv show I automatically wonder if it is based on a book. Then if it is I read it right away and then often don't wat..."

I am in love with the words of that book, A River Runs Through It, Rick. I watched the movie first and Redford's voice speaking out some of the most moving sentences I had heard, made me buy the book. Romancing the language.

message 13: by Robin (new)

Robin (goodreadscomtriviagoddessl) I liked the list as well, found myself in most of those, even the not going out to recess. Used to love the swings, though.

message 14: by Emily (new)

Emily | 21 comments Love it. A number of those reasons are very true of me. I did spend recess reading, and in high school I read while walking the halls from class to class.

Emily wrote: "Love it. A number of those reasons are very true of me. I did spend recess reading, and in high school I read while walking the halls from class to class."

same here Emily! We had this thread for a some time- felt it was time to bring it to attention of our many new members- thanks to Melissa for creating this thread!

message 16: by Genine (new)

Genine Franklin-Clark (suz83yq) | 23 comments A great list, and, yes I, too, have printed it out. I have never felt so surrounded by those of my own kind as I have since joining Goodreads.

message 17: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Davie (kathydavie) | 45 comments Books are my drug of choice...

Kathy wrote: "Books are my drug of choice..."

LOL!!!

message 19: by K. (new)

K. K. | 5 comments Can't live without them.

message 20: by Paul (new)

Paul  Perry (pezski) | 14 comments Excellent! I happily confess to having a David Sedaris crush, despite being heterosexual.

message 21: by B0nnie (new)

B0nnie | 4 comments hundreds of books on the shelves yeah, solved that problem with an ereader . . . which holds what, a million??

B0nnie wrote: "hundreds of books on the shelves yeah, solved that problem with an ereader . . . which holds what, a million??"

LOL- Still have 1000's of books on shelves here- AND two Kindles- one filled up- so had to buy another! I don't even want to try and analyze that!!

message 23: by Paul (new)

Paul  Perry (pezski) | 14 comments B0nnie wrote: "hundreds of books on the shelves yeah, solved that problem with an ereader . . . which holds what, a million??"

I don't see having hundreds of unread books on my shelves as a problem ;D

message 24: by B0nnie (new)

B0nnie | 4 comments Rick wrote: "LOL- Still have 1000's of books on shelves here- AND two Kindles- one..."

oh, if one is good, 2 is better - maybe the kindle doesn't have a sd slot? you could put thousands of books on one card

message 25: by B0nnie (new)

B0nnie | 4 comments Paul 'Pezski' wrote: "I don't see having hundreds of unread books on my shelves as a proble..." books do furnish a room . . .

message 26: by Caitlan (new)

Caitlan (lionesserampant) I love this article. I sent it to my APE Literature teacher XD

message 27: by The FountainPenDiva, Old school geek chick and lover of teddy bears (last edited Feb 17, 2012 01:41PM) (new)

The FountainPenDiva, Old school geek chick and lover of teddy bears (thefountainpendiva) 5. You fight to diversify the literary canon.

Great writing can come from anyone, anywhere. And a true bibliophile knows that the real literary canon is made up of far more than just a bunch of dead, high strung white guys. Oh, they contributed alright! But they are not the entirety.

Just. Yes!!! I wish I wasn't always preaching to the choir but people seriously need to expand their horizons.

I DO not like David Sedaris, but much of the rest of this list applies to me, LOL!

message 28: by Ken (new)

Ken Consaul | 307 comments A bibliophile is a person who would read a list with seventy five entries.

message 29: by Caitlan (new)

Caitlan (lionesserampant) XD

message 30: by Peter (new)

Peter Meredith (goodreadscompetermeredith) | 17 comments I was a little lost(Harold Bloom?) until I hit #7 I hate the very concept of sparkly vampires!

Ken wrote: "A bibliophile is a person who would read a list with seventy five entries."

lol!!!!!!!!!!!!!

B0nnie wrote: "Rick wrote: "LOL- Still have 1000's of books on shelves here- AND two Kindles- one..."

oh, if one is good, 2 is better - maybe the kindle doesn't have a sd slot? you could put thousands of books o..."

not sure if it has sd slot- probably just buty a 3rd Kindle when this one gets filled up! and don't even ask about all the books I have in Archive on my first Kindle!

message 33: by Kathy G. (new)

Kathy G. I confess--- I'm doomed too.

Funny story---- Someone left a huge pile of donated books at the library--- outside--- and it was raining.
At least they were under the large overhang of the roof--- but still-----

I was on my way to work and could not stop.
I worried all day about those poor books.
I came by after work with the intent to go to the police and put the books in my car so I could take them when the library was open. (I didn't want to look like a crazed book thief.)

But--- the books were gone.
I pray they went to a good home---- and not the dumps.
Man, this drove me nuts.

Talked to librarian on Sat. when open--- and they never saw the books.

:-(

I'm still swooning!!!

message 34: by Rick-Founder JM CM BOOK CLUB (last edited Feb 18, 2012 01:30PM) (new)

Kathy G. wrote: "I confess--- I'm doomed too.

Funny story---- Someone left a huge pile of donated books at the library--- outside--- and it was raining.
At least they were under the large overhang of the roof--..."

I must say- I completely identify with your feelings- books are such treasures- thats why I have so so many- I cannot fathom throwing any out- I will donate some- but - quite a book hoarder here- I confess! Just gives me a feeling of great comfort knowing that I have so many books- and as I consider books akin to time machines- if I feel like visiting 14th Century England- just pick up a Christy English novel or if I 19th Century france- a voyage is as far as getting one of my Dumas or Zola books.

message 35: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Michael Funny ... and so many all too true!

No. 14 ... reading in the car, reminded me of my boss (a very non-traditional attorney) many years ago in Las Vegas. One of his hobbies was rockhounding and he would drive way out in the desert on weekends. His wife once railed to me about his habit of reading ... while driving ... on these trips. In the 60s I don't suppose there was ever a lot of traffic on any of these roads so I don't imagine it was particularly dangerous ... lots of long, straight roads across flat desert country ... but it appalled her.

Sharon wrote: "Funny ... and so many all too true!

No. 14 ... reading in the car, reminded me of my boss (a very non-traditional attorney) many years ago in Las Vegas. One of his hobbies was rockhounding and he ..."

I love LOVE reading- but must side with the lawyer's wife on this one!

message 37: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Michael Rick wrote: "I love LOVE reading- but must side with the lawyer's wife on this one!"

Me too ... can't imagine flying through the desert with the driver with his nose in a book!

message 38: by Anne (Booklady) (new)

Anne  (Booklady) Molinarolo (wwwgoodreadscomAnneMolinarolo) | 11 comments My Condo has 4 overflowing Book Shelves. My NOOK is full. My new Kindle just arrived!

Addicted to books? You Betcha!

message 39: by Anthea (new)

Anthea Carson (antheajane) You find yourself perusing this site for new books: http://ebooktop100.blogspot.com/2012/...

message 40: by Derrick (new)

Derrick (noetichatter) Yes, I do have a bit of a crush on Sarah Vowell. . .

message 41: by Anne (new)

Anne (spartandax) | 104 comments I always take a book anywhere I go when I leave home. I learned this to my sorrow over 30 years ago when my car broke down, and we had to wait about 4 hours while it was getting fixed. The only reading material was a couple of rat eared copies of "Popular Mechanics."

Anne wrote: "I always take a book anywhere I go when I leave home. I learned this to my sorrow over 30 years ago when my car broke down, and we had to wait about 4 hours while it was getting fixed. The only rea..."

I also have a book wherever I go- yes- I have my Iphone with many books on it- but I love the old fashioned books- so I have a copy of The World According To Garp by John Irving in my car

message 43: by Jaye (new)

Jaye http://www.addisonsauction.com/mcmurt...
Larry McMurty is selling (at auction) the books in his 4 warehouses. See above for description.
He still has 28,000 in his personal collection at home.

here's the link to the auction info:
http://www.addisonsauction.com/thelas...
"He built it – they came. From all over the world, bibliophiles descended upon Archer City, Texas to see Larry McMurtry’s vast collection of hundreds of thousands of volumes spread out over four buildings. McMurtry continually rounded up new stock, cracked a whip, and corralled the books into the sleepy town. Once there, he personally culled the herd and kept only the best books to offer for sale on his shelves. Over the years, his efforts resulted in four buildings stocked with one of the finest selections of collectible and antiquarian books in the world."

message 44: by Stefan (new)

Stefan Yates (stefan31) Is it wrong that I immediately clicked the link and downloaded the sale bill just to see what was there?

message 45: by Stacey (new)

Stacey Oddly enough, just last night I watched the Twilight Zone episode mentioned in item #29. I love that one but the end just kills me.

message 46: by Anne (new)

Anne (spartandax) | 104 comments Stacey wrote: "Oddly enough, just last night I watched the Twilight Zone episode mentioned in item #29. I love that one but the end just kills me."

That episode broke my heart. How sad for that poor man.

message 47: by Fran (new)

Fran Smith (mfran) | 16 comments Wonderful list!

Jaye wrote: "http://www.addisonsauction.com/mcmurt...
Larry McMurty is selling (at auction) the books in his 4 warehouses. See above for description.
He still has 28,000 in his personal collec..."

wow!!! and I thought I had alot of books!!! about 10,000 plus another 20,000 e-books- a mere trifle

Stacey wrote: "Oddly enough, just last night I watched the Twilight Zone episode mentioned in item #29. I love that one but the end just kills me."

A super episode!! I have the Complete Twilight Zone Series on DVD- have to say my favorite episode is the Ed Wynn/Murray Hamilton one- "A Pitch for the Angels"

message 50: by [deleted user] (new)

I read while my husband drives whenever possible.

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.