European Royalty discussion

European Royalty Discussions > Confessions of Chatherine de Medici

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rio (Lynne) (new)

Rio (Lynne) | 29 comments Who had read this? I just finished it and I would love to discuss it.

message 2: by Misfit (new)

Misfit | 696 comments Rio wrote: "Who had read this? I just finished it and I would love to discuss it."

I read it last month. I think this is an ongoing group read over at one of my other groups, A History of Royals.

message 3: by Rio (Lynne) (new)

Rio (Lynne) | 29 comments Thanks Misfit. I'll check it out.

message 4: by Gemma (new)

Gemma (bookmoodreviews) | 61 comments Ooh it's sitting on my tbr pile. Is it as good as the last queen?

message 5: by Rio (Lynne) (new)

Rio (Lynne) | 29 comments I loved the Last Queen, so I was excited to get this one. Sadly, for me, it wasn't as good, but I did still enjoy it.

message 6: by Gemma (new)

Gemma (bookmoodreviews) | 61 comments I think I may read this next.

message 7: by Rio (Lynne) (new)

Rio (Lynne) | 29 comments Gem, let me know what you think after you read it.

message 8: by Rio (Lynne) (new)

Rio (Lynne) | 29 comments Oh and Gem, did you read Diane Haeger's The Courtesan? It's about Catherine de Medici's husband and lifelong love Diane de Poitiers? If you're like me, you like both sides of the story.

message 9: by Gemma (new)

Gemma (bookmoodreviews) | 61 comments NO I haven't even heard of it. Hmmm intresting.

message 10: by Mandy (new)

Mandy Moody | 544 comments We read The Courtesan as a group read - you can find the old discussion posts and go through them, if you like :) I didn't like it much, but I think some members did!

I'd forgotten about Gortners new one - Thanks for the reminder! I just put it on hold at my library, I'm in position 2. Can't wait to read this one!

message 11: by Mandy (new)

Mandy Moody | 544 comments My copy is in! I'll be picking it up today - I'm excited to read this one :)

message 12: by Jemidar (new)

Jemidar Just finished this yesterday and I'm happy to discuss :-).

message 13: by Rio (Lynne) (new)

Rio (Lynne) | 29 comments Jemidar wrote: "Just finished this yesterday and I'm happy to discuss :-)."

I don't want anyone who hasn't it read it yet to hear any spoilers, but I want to know what you thought about the portayal of Hercule, Duke of Anjou? Also, Margot poisoning Charles. My favorite part of the book was The Massacre of St. Bartholomew.

message 14: by Rio (Lynne) (new)

Rio (Lynne) | 29 comments The The Hostage Queen just arrived in the mail (about Margo). I can't wait to read it. Thanks to Misfit bringing this book to our attention.

message 15: by Mandy (new)

Mandy Moody | 544 comments I finished this a couple of days ago.
Really liked it!
Me review is here:
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/68...
I gave it 4 stars.

Rio - I thought the depiction of Hercule was really interesting...I'd not read him portrayed quite that way before...
I looked up his picture after I finished - he wasn't terrible looking, but then, you never know what the court painters changed...
There's a quote about him from Elizabeth I - something about him being "not so deformed as she'd been led to expect" LOL! I'd never heard his name as Hercule, either... Anyone know why?

This one would be a GREAT group read - it was divided up into books perfectly!