Challenge: 50 Books discussion

2010 > Becky's 50 Books a Year List

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Becky (last edited Jul 31, 2010 08:58AM) (new)

Becky The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner An Eclipse Novella by Stephenie Meyer

Review: Good addition to series.

Book Synopsis: Fans of The Twilight Saga will be enthralled by this riveting story of Bree Tanner, a character first introduced in Eclipse, and the darker side of the newborn vampire world she inhabits.

In another irresistible combination of danger, mystery, and romance, Stephenie Meyer tells the devastating story of Bree and the newborn army as they prepare to close in on Bella Swan and the Cullens, following their encounter to its unforgettable conclusion.

Bree Tanner can barely remember life before she had uncannily powerful senses, superhuman reflexes and unstoppable physical strength. Life before she had a relentless thirst for blood... life before she became a vampire.

All Bree knows is that living with her fellow newborns has few certainties and even fewer rules: watch your back, don't draw attention to yourself and, above all, make it home by sunrise or die. What she doesn't know: her time as an immortal is quickly running out.

Then Bree finds an unexpected friend in Diego, a newborn just as curious as Bree about their mysterious creator, whom they know only as "her". As they come to realize that the newborns are pawns in a game larger than anything they could have imagined, Bree and Diego must choose sides and decide whom to trust. But when everything you know about vampires is based on a lie, how do you find the truth?

message 2: by Becky (last edited Jul 31, 2010 08:57AM) (new)

Becky The Last Song by Nicholas Sparks

Review: There where some wonderful characters and story lines in this book but the author put too much into one story! He really didn't need to hop scotch though the characters pov the way he did, it made the story drag as well as take your mind off the true emotion of the book!

Book Synopsis: Seventeen-year-old Veronica 'Ronnie' Miller's life was turned upside-down when her parents divorced and her father moved from New York City to Wilmington, North Carolina. Three years later, she remains angry and alienated from her parents, especially her father ...until her mother decides it would be in everyone's best interest if she spent the summer in Wilmington with him. Ronnie's father, a former concert pianist and teacher, is living a quiet life in the beach town, immersed in creating a work of art that will become the centerpiece of a local church. The tale that unfolds is an unforgettable story about love in its myriad forms - first love, the love between parents and children - that demonstrates, as only a Nicholas Sparks novel can, the many ways that deeply felt relationships can break our hearts ...and heal them.

message 3: by Becky (last edited Jul 31, 2010 08:56AM) (new)

Becky The Notebook by Nicholas Sparks

Review: Not one of my favorites but it's a quick read with some touching moments that will melt your heart.

Book Synopsis: Echoing the emotional vibrancy and power of Love Story and The Bridges of Madison County, this unforgettable, deeply moving first novel offers a dual ...more Echoing the emotional vibrancy and power of Love Story and The Bridges of Madison County, this unforgettable, deeply moving first novel offers a dual tale of love lost and found and of a man's gentle battle to reach an aging woman who cannot remember the most cherished moments of her life.

message 4: by Becky (last edited Jul 31, 2010 08:55AM) (new)

Becky Nights in Rodanthe by Nicholas Sparks

Review: This was a beautifully told story of second chances in love, healing and family. I don't normally enjoy heartbreaking endings but this book lavished the reader in healing, and though the story deals with heartbreak it all served to reveal a deeper meaning. I would definitely recommend this book to any reader.

Book Synopsis: At forty-five, Adrienne Willis must rethink her entire life when her husband abandons her for a younger woman. Reeling with heartache and in search of a respite, she flees to the small coastal town of Rodanthe, North Carolina, to tend to a friend's inn for the weekend.

But when a major storm starts moving in, it appears that Adrienne's perfect getaway will be ruined-until a guest named Paul Flanner arrives. At 54, Paul has just sold his medical practice and come to Rodanthe to escape his own shattered past. Now, with the storm closing in, two wounded people will turn to each other for comfort-and in one weekend, set in motion feelings that will resonate throughout the rest of their lives.

message 5: by Becky (last edited Jul 31, 2010 08:52AM) (new)

Becky Hush, Hush (Hush, Hush, #1) by Becca Fitzpatrick

Review: I read this book with no exceptions or suggestions, I was merely hoping to find something good off the best seller list on "Barnes and Noble". Saying that I'm neither disappointed nor excited about having read it.
Positives: Well written, enjoyable characters, easy to follow, quick read. If you're looking to simply clean your palate, something non challenging with light drama and light romance then this may be a good book for you.
Negatives: Story development was very slow going, a lot of inner monologue without a lot of discovery. The story keeps you in the dark for 85% of the book, only in the finial 25 pages do you begin to understand the characters/ exciting incidence. Most disappointing for me was the book is sold as a love story but the author missed the mark almost completely in developing it.

Book Synopsis:
Nora Grey has never been particularly attracted to the boys at her school, until Patch came along; but after a series of terrifying encounters, Nora finds herself in the middle of an ancient battle between the immortal and those who have fallen, and choosing the wrong side will cost her life

message 6: by Becky (last edited Jul 31, 2010 09:03AM) (new)

Becky The Last Vampire (The Last Vampire, #1) by Christopher Pike

Review: Good characters with a very interesting plot. I would recommend this book to any reader who enjoys the "classic" vampire characteristics!

Book Synopsis: Alisa Perne is the last vampire. For five thousand years she has been living among humans, living off humans. Beautiful and brilliant, she hunts alone. She thinks nobody knows her secret. But someone is stalking her. Someone wants her dead. And Alisa has a choice to make; to keep a long-held promise or protect the mortal she seems to be falling for!

message 7: by Becky (new)

Becky Dear John by Nicholas Sparks

Review: Another heartwarming story about love, passion and what happens when there isn't a "happily ever after". This book has some wonderful characters and powerful lessens to be weaned that will speak to any reader. Not one of my favorites but still worth the time.

Book Synopsis: An angry rebel, John dropped out of school and enlisted in the Army, not knowing what else to do with his life--until he meets the girl of his dreams, Savannah. Their mutual attraction quickly grows into the kind of love that leaves Savannah waiting for John to finish his tour of duty, and John wanting to settle down with the woman who captured his heart. But 9/11 changes everything. John feels it is his duty to re-enlist. And sadly, the long separation finds Savannah falling in love with someone else. "Dear John," the letter read...and with those two words, a heart was broken and two lives were changed forever. Returning home, John must come to grips with the fact that Savannah, now married, is still his true love--and face the hardest decision of his life.

message 8: by Becky (new)

Becky Sabriel (The Abhorsen Trilogy, #1) by Garth Nix

Review: For me "Sabriel" was one of those books that took a little while to get into, but evolved into something so amazing that I had a hard time putting it down. The wonderful writing coupled with unique settings, and strong characters makes "Sabriel" one of my all time favorite books.

Book Synopsis: Since childhood, Sabriel has lived outside the walls of the Old Kingdom, away from the power of Free Magic and the Dead who refuse to stay dead. With her father missing, Sabriel must cross into that world to find him. There she confronts an evil that threatens much more than her life--and comes face-to-face with her own hidden destiny.

message 9: by Becky (new)

Becky Lirael (The Abhorsen Trilogy, #2) by Garth Nix

Review: "Lirael" is an amazing second book to this wonderful trilogy. It begins by introducing the reader to a whole new world of characters, settings, and danger. I loved how the author chose to hop scotch between two characters pov, it gave me something to look forward too! I would definitly recommend this book to anyone looking for a good fantasy.

Book Synopsis: Lirael has never felt like a true daughter of the Clayr. Abandoned by her mother, ignorant of her father's identity, Lirael resembles no one else in her large extended family living in the Clayr's glacier. She doesn't even have the Sight--the ability to See into the present and possibly futures--that is the very birthright of the Clayr.

Nonetheless, it is Lirael in whose hands the fate of the Old Kingdom lies. She must undertake a desperate mission under the growing shadow of an ancient evil--one that opposes the Royal Family, blocks the Sight of the Clayr, and threatens to break the very boundary between Life and Death itself. With only her faithful companion, the Disreputable Dog to help her, Lirael must find the courage to seek her own hidden destiny.

message 10: by Becky (new)

Becky Abhorsen (The Abhorsen Trilogy, #3) by Garth Nix

Review: There was so much story to complete in this final book but the author does it brilliantly. I am so thankful that I read these books, they're full of strength, struggle, and personal discovery. I couldn't have asked for a more beautiful ending!

Book Synopsis: And only Lirael, newly come into her inheritance as the Abhorsen-in-Waiting, has any chance of stopping it. She and her companions -- Sam, the Disreputable Dog, and Mogget -- have to take that chance. If Orannis's unspeakable powers are unleashed, it will mean the end of all Life. With the help of her companions and a vision from the Clayr to guide her, Lirael must search in both Life and Death for some means to defeat the Destroyer -- before it is too late. . . .

message 11: by Becky (new)

Becky Suzanne's Diary for Nicholas by James Patterson

Review: Not one of my favorite reads but it did have some nice character development and some well meaning life lessons.

Book Synopsis: Katie Wilkinson has found the perfect man at last—but one day he disappears from her life, leaving behind only a diary for her to read.

The diary is written by a woman named Suzanne and is addressed to her new baby boy, Nicholas. In it she pours out her heart about the joy he has brought her. As Katie reads this moving story, she realizes that the man she's fallen in love with is Suzanne's husband, Nicholas's father. She reads on, filled with terror and hope as she struggles to understand what happened—and whether her new love can survive.

Written with Patterson's perfect pitch for emotion and suspense, this novel captures beautifully the joys of a new family. This is an unforgettable story, at once heartbreaking and full of hope.

message 12: by Becky (new)

Becky The Hunger Games (Hunger Games, #1) by Suzanne Collins

Review: No words could describe how much I love this book, it's a must read to all!

Book Synopsis: Could you survive on your own, in the wild, with every one out to make sure you don't live to see the morning?

In the ruins of a place once known as North America lies the nation of Panem, a shining Capitol surrounded by twelve outlying districts. The Capitol is harsh and cruel and keeps the districts in line by forcing them all to send one boy and one girl between the ages of twelve and eighteen to participate in the annual Hunger Games, a fight to the death on live TV.

Sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen, who lives alone with her mother and younger sister, regards it as a death sentence when she steps forward to take her sister's place in the Games. But Katniss has been close to dead before—and survival, for her, is second nature. Without really meaning to, she becomes a contender. But if she is to win, she will have to start making choices that will weigh survival against humanity and life against love.

message 13: by Becky (new)

Becky Catching Fire (Hunger Games, #2) by Suzanne Collins

Review: Wonderful second book to this amazing trilogy.

Book Synopsis: Against all odds, Katniss Everdeen has won the annual Hunger Games with fellow district tribute Peeta Mellark. But it was a victory won by defiance of the Capitol and their harsh rules. Katniss and Peeta should be happy. After all, they have just won for themselves and their families a life of safety and plenty. But there are rumors of rebellion among the subjects, and Katniss and Peeta, to their horror, are the faces of that rebellion. The Capitol is angry. The Capitol wants revenge.

message 14: by Becky (new)

Becky Mockingjay (Hunger Games, #3) by Suzanne Collins

Review: Sadly I was extremely disappointed with this last book, the characters where weak, story line was lacking and the climax didn't leave me satisfied. Too many unneeded deaths, drug induced black outs, and way too much whining. Sorry Collins, not your best work.

Book Synopsis: Katniss Everdeen, girl on fire, has survived, even though her home has been destroyed. Gale has escaped. Katniss's family is safe. Peeta has been captured by the Capitol. District 13 really does exist. There are rebels. There are new leaders. A revolution is unfolding.

It is by design that Katniss was rescued from the arena in the cruel and haunting Quarter Quell, and it is by design that she has long been part of the revolution without knowing it. District 13 has come out of the shadows and is plotting to overthrow the Capitol. Everyone, it seems, has had a hand in the carefully laid plans -- except Katniss.

The success of the rebellion hinges on Katniss's willingness to be a pawn, to accept responsibility for countless lives, and to change the course of the future of Panem. To do this, she must put aside her feelings of anger and distrust. She must become the rebels' Mockingjay -- no matter what the personal cost.

message 15: by Becky (new)

Becky Beautiful Creatures (Caster Chronicles, #1) by Kami Garcia

Review: Beautiful Creatures was an overall enjoyable read. Being introduced to the world of a Caster was a first for me. Unlike other "magical" characters I've read the world of a Caster is a cursed one, with the choice to be good or evil taken away. I enjoyed most of the central characters, the plot and development was also good. I think my biggest complaint about this book was the droning on about the history of the town, as well as close minded residents and their obsession with the past. It's good to have a firm foundation of the place the characters live but after awhile it was just slowing the story to an bothersome pace. This book could have easily been shorted to under 400pg, the fact that it was almost 600 is ridicules. I read that one of the authors grew up in the south and really wanted to bring history into the story, in my opinion she did to much or at least didn't do it in an interesting fashion.

Book Synopsis: Lena Duchannes is unlike anyone the small Southern town of Gatlin has ever seen, and she’s struggling to conceal her power and a curse that has haunted her family for generations. But even within the overgrown gardens, murky swamps, and crumbling graveyards of the forgotten South, a secret cannot stay hidden forever.

Ethan Wate, who has been counting the months until he can escape from Gatlin, is haunted by dreams of a beautiful girl he has never met. When Lena moves into the town’s oldest and most infamous plantation, Ethan is inexplicably drawn to her and determined to uncover the connection between them.

message 16: by Becky (new)

Becky Graceling (The Seven Kingdoms, #1) by Kristin Cashore

Review: This was an exciting book to read. I really enjoyed the journey it took me on and all the characters this world of the "Graced" introduced me too. I fell in love with Po and his genuine, free spirited personality. He's a light in the story and a perfect complement to Katsa. Its definitely one of my favorite reads so far!

Book Synopsis:Katsa has been able to kill a man with her bare hands since she was eight — she’s a Graceling, one of the rare people in her land born with an extreme, and in her case horrifying, skill. As niece of the king, she should be able to live a life of privilege, but Graced as she is with killing, she is forced to work as the king’s thug. When she first meets Prince Po, Graced with combat skills, Katsa has no hint of how her life is about to change.

She never expects to become Po’s friend. She never expects to learn a new truth about her own Grace — or about a terrible secret that lies hidden far away... a secret that could destroy all seven kingdoms with words alone.

message 17: by Becky (new)

Becky Shiver (The Wolves of Mercy Falls, #1) by Maggie Stiefvater

Review: "Shiver" made me shiver in the worst possible way.

Sadly I just wouldn't recommend this book to anyone. I'm not an overly critical reader and I understanding that not everyone has the same idea as to what makes a book interesting but "Shiver" really let me down. Having said that I feel it's my obligation to warn other readers about the blandness of this book so they're not expecting a vivid and wonderfully told story. For me this was an incredibly long and tediously boring read. The scenes we're cold and lifeless, the plot was strangely pathetic and the obsession the characters had toward each other was confusing and immature. I know a lot of readers enjoyed this book so I wont sit here and rip it to shreds but if you haven't read it but are planning to just please don't set your expectations high.

Book Synopsis: the cold.
Grace has spent years watching the wolves in the woods behind her house. One yellow-eyed wolf—her wolf—watches back. He feels deeply familiar to her, but she doesn't know why.

the heat.
Sam has lived two lives. As a wolf, he keeps the silent company of the girl he loves. And then, for a short time each year, he is human, never daring to talk to Grace...until now.

the shiver.
For Grace and Sam, love has always been kept at a distance. But once it's spoken, it cannot be denied. Sam must fight to stay human—and Grace must fight to keep him—even if it means taking on the scars of the past, the fragility of the present, and the impossibility of the future.

message 18: by Becky (new)

Becky City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments, #1) by Cassandra Clare

Review: City of Bones was a very enjoyable read for me. It's one of those books that had me completely submerged the story, at times I'd look up and realized that four hours had passed in what seemed like minutes:). I particuarlly enjoyed the development of each character, everyone had their own unique story that was told so well, it never left me feeling lost or board. The author did a wonderful job keeping the story exciting without going overboard with drama/action ect. I would say this is one of my...moreCity of Bones was a very enjoyable read for me. It's one of those books that had me completely submerged the story, at times I'd look up and realized that four hours had passed in what seemed like minutes:). I particularly enjoyed the development of each character, everyone had their own unique story that was told so well, it never left me feeling lost or board. The author did a wonderful job keeping the story exciting without going overboard with drama/action ect. I would say this is one of my favorite books of the year and will prob be one I buy for my own collection.

Book Synopsis: When fifteen-year-old Clary Fray heads out to the Pandemonium Club in New York City, she hardly expects to witness a murder - much less a murder committed by three teenagers covered with strange tattoos and brandishing bizarre weapons. Then the body disappears into thin air. It's hard to call the police when the murderers are invisible to everyone else and when there is nothing - not even a smear of blood - to show that a boy has died. Or was he a boy?

This is Clary's first meeting with the Shadowhunters, warriors dedicated to ridding the earth of demons. It's also her first encounter with Jace, a Shadowhunter who looks a little like an angel and acts a lot like a jerk. Within twenty-four hours Clary is pulled into Jace's world with a vengeance, when her mother disappears and Clary herself is attacked by a demon. But why would demons be interested in ordinary mundanes like Clary and her mother? And how did Clary suddenly get the Sight? The Shadowhunters would like to know....

Exotic and gritty, exhilarating and utterly gripping, Cassandra Clare's ferociously entertaining fantasy takes readers on a wild ride that they will never want to end.

message 19: by Becky (new)

Becky Heretic's Daughter by Kathleen Kent

Review: This was a haunting read, it challenges the reader and the heart of family and what it means to truly love. I wouldn't normally enjoy such a depressing story but the author is able to pull exquisite insight out of the most horrible of circumstances.

Book Synopsis: Martha Carrier was one of the first women to be accused, tried and hanged as a witch in Salem, Massachusetts. Like her mother, young Sarah Carrier is bright and willful, openly challenging the small, brutal world in which they live. Often at odds with one another, mother and daughter are forced to stand together against the escalating hysteria of the trials and the superstitious tyranny that led to the torture and imprisonment of more than 200 people accused of witchcraft. This is the story of Martha's courageous defiance and ultimate death, as told by the daughter who survived.
Kathleen Kent is a tenth generation descendent of Martha Carrier. She paints a haunting portrait, not just of Puritan New England, but also of one family's deep and abiding love in the face of fear and persecution.