Mrs Fisher's Tulip Mrs Fisher's Tulip discussion

Melanie Hughes

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jan (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jan T Does anyone know if she has written other novels, maybe under another name? I hope there will be a sequel of "Mrs Fisher's Tulip" soon, I want to know what happens next.

Jean Paul I think she writes mainly screenplays, but her website says a sequel to "Mrs Fisher" is in the pipeline. I think the new novel should have a better cover.....

Amanda Davis I couldn't agree with you more Donna, I love it to bits. To me Sally seems to be in danger at times and it made worry for her. I think David is actually not as nice as he seems at first. He's cheating on his pregnant wife for a start. The ending just made me cry, it's so true to life. There are a few typos as well, but not too many. Lovely first book.

Jean Paul There are some typos but it didn't detract from me enjoying the book. Some people (one on Amazon in particular) get very upset and go round looking at every apostrophe and blank space. A bit anal for me really. The content of "Mrs Fisher's Tulip" is so lovely and well observed, it transcends small things like that. Sorry! end of rant.

Suzie Topp I'm new here today, Hello. I just wanted to say thanks to my friends from the MCH fan club for leading me to this site. Hello Donna :-)

I really love this book, I give it as presents to my friends. I started reading "Mrs Fisher" and simply couldn't put it down. I finished in a day. I think that Sally and her sisters and Mel are lovely characters, I carry them in my heart now. By the way, I never noticed the typos you mention, so they're not important to me. I met Melanie Hughes at a book signing, she's a really lovey person.

Anne Sainsbury Hello I think I know some of you here :-) Melanue Hughes has been quite an accomplished actress for many years, you can look at her profile on the Internet Movie Database (IMDB), film TV and stage. I was quite surprised when I looked her up. I do think her book, Mrs Fisher's Tulip is excellent. She also has a website www.melaniehughes.eu.

message 7: by Jean (last edited Jul 23, 2010 11:06AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jean Paul I never really saw how the lists thing worked here before - I have added "Mrs Fisher" to one of them "Books that blew me away", because it did.

Amanda Davis Does anyone know where to get a copy of "Operation Julie", It's the film that Melanie Hughes played the lead role in some years back? I can't find it anywhere, I would really like to see it. Donna maybe you have some idea?

message 9: by Jan (last edited Jul 24, 2010 06:02PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jan T I saw "Operation Julie" on TV, a mini series, I think in the late 80's. It was about a woman chemist who made LSD tablets and gave them away for free, she lived in Wales. Melanie Hughes played her character. Sorry I haven't got a copy but I think you can buy them on ebay, but it may be a vhs cassette that you'll get.

message 10: by Jan (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jan T I just added "Mrs Fisher's Tulip" to the "Books that kept me up all night" list, it's not very long and I think it's suitable for this book.

message 11: by Ken (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ken Sears Hi Jean :-) and hey guys. Jan, I've voted on the list you mention. I just want to say that Melanie Hughes book really took me back to my teenage years, it's so well observed and the dilemas are so funny and Sally's responses to them so touching, you really feel for her.

message 12: by Ken (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ken Sears Hmmm..... This list seems to be mainly vampire books, but all the same it's still worth doing.

message 13: by Jean (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jean Paul Hello all, I've added "Mrs Fisher" to a few more lists, please have a look and maybe vote(?)

message 14: by Ken (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ken Sears Hiya Jean, I'm looking now........

message 15: by Anne (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anne Sainsbury Yes, I'm not sure either, but I'm working on some now:-P

Cathy Hi Donna, It's meeee Cathy. Well, I did join up. It's a bit confusing here just now........

message 17: by Jean (last edited Jul 27, 2010 03:25PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jean Paul Hello, Yes it is me. I mentioned earlier about this person on Amazon. I can't understand where she's coming from. I wish I'd never started with the first comment. I think she's a bit of a looney actually, maybe best avoided?

Whoever "JD Salanger" is she really has got him angry; "You're barely literate" etc, what a cheek! I really think Amazon should control their website better and have some moderators to control this kind of thing.

message 18: by Jean (last edited Jul 27, 2010 03:31PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jean Paul Oh! by the way, in case you don't already know, Melanie Hughes website is at:

http://www.melaniehughes.eu

Drop in and have a look, it's a very tastefull site...

message 19: by Anne (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anne Sainsbury She may just be a bit insecure, but she's only got one review and that's got 1 star, which is very strange. It's almost like she just wants to damage the sales of "Mrs Fisher"?...

message 20: by Cathy (last edited Oct 01, 2010 10:33AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cathy Wow this thread is getting a bit long. Look, "Mum's Dog" or whatever can say she dosen't like "Mrs Fisher's Tulip", I mean I like it a lot but it's not for everyone and she did make a few points which are true (re the punctuation etc). Where she's wrong is to get so nasty about it when she gets pulled up short.

message 21: by Jean (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jean Paul I have emailed Melanie Hughes asking her to join Goodreads as an author. I hope she will. I met her a book signing last Christmas, she is an increibly nice person but quite shy, which is a bit at odds with her public image as an actress. Do you think we should draw a line under this "Mum's Dog" thing now?

message 22: by Anne (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anne Sainsbury I've just been looking at Melanie Hughes filmography from her website and on IMDB, quite impressive really....

message 23: by Hiroki (last edited Nov 28, 2010 02:03AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Hiroki Did any of you in the UK see the article in the Sunday Times about fake negative reviews on Amazon UK's website. Does this explain the "Mum's dog" person attitude to "Mrs Fisher"? I went back to look at the Amazon comments and I really wonder if there was something strange going on, because i'ts almost as if they were too negative especialy the "No ISBN number" thing and the reaction afterwards when it was pointed out to her by Melanie Hughes the author. It really looks as if she was trying to hit sales in a negative way rather than just "review" the book. Maybe "Mum to One Dog" is a plant who gets paid or has some other interests?

Hiroki I will try and find the article online and post up a link to it.

Hiroki http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/p...

I'm not sure the link will work AND you have to pay to read the whole thing, however there it is...

message 26: by Anne (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anne Sainsbury Hi Donna, I just looked up the article, I'm actually quite shocked that this kind of thing goes on. It's really awful, publishing used to be the sort of businesss that you'd want your daughter to go into. But if any of it's true (I suspect it is) then it's really a sign of just how bankrupt it's become and doesn't really deserve to survive as it is now.

message 27: by Jean (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jean Paul Hi all, according to Melanie Hughes website, "Mrs Fisher's Tulip" will be out on Kindle soon. Does this mean it'll work on my Sony e-reader? Does anyone know?

Nadia Jean, It should work ok on your reader but I'm not sure.

message 29: by Jean (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jean Paul By the way, Nadia, sorry you were wrong. Kindle versions of books only work on the Kindle from Amazon. And "Mrs Fisher's Tulip" is available on Kindle now.