Dangerous Hero Addict Support Group discussion

Authors Book(s) Discussion > Gena Showalter

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ty (last edited Jul 19, 2010 10:18AM) (new)

Ty specifically - Lords of the Underworld Series

I tried to find a thread on this and couldn't. Hope it's okay that I started a new one...

You can't get any more "dangerous hero" than ancient mythical Greek warriors who each are infested with a demon from hell, all in punishment for the heinous crime of opening Pandora's box, now can you? Each demon is, of course, responsible for the many evils of the world - death, violence, disease, wrath, etc.

Certainly my favorite Dark Lord so far is Gideon - Keeper of Lies (the blue hair does it for me), but my favorite story so far is probably Darkest Passion - Aeron and Olivia. It was the first novel of the series that made me get up and walk away in tears. I do that sometimes. Walk away. to breathe. cuz I just. can't. take. it. Yeah, I know. I'm a sap.

But anyways. The first 4 books didn't really endear me much. In fact, after Sabin and Gwen of the Darkest Whisper, I almost walked away for good. But, I stuck with it because I liked the world building and the plot development. However, I am pleasantly surprised and intrigued by the current turn of events and I must say, I am actually looking forward to the next book - which is not 'til 2011, arrrgh!

So what does everyone think? Is anyone else reading them - the novels, novellas, e-shorts, and various other offerings out there? What's your favorite story? Your favorite hero? Least favorite? I even enjoyed the shorts - particularly Lysander, one of the elite "Seven" angels (I do love wings - whisper of Nalini Singh), and Bianca the harpy.

message 2: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee Lychee, Do you mean the Lords of the Underwold series?

message 3: by Ty (new)

Ty oops yes. I'm at work and not responsible for my typings... ha.

Jael ~ *~ Syhren ~* ~ (wwwgoodreadscomprofilejael) Oh I love this series! I haven't read darkest Lie yet. I love Gideon and that blue hair but I just can't bring myself to read his story just yet. I don't want it to end. I too almost walked away from the series after the Darkest Kiss. I am glad i didn't I loved Reyes and Sabin's story . I dfo agree Aeron and Olivia is the best so far , atleast until I read Darkest Lie, which is taunting me from my bookcase. LOL

message 5: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Loves 'Em Lethal (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) | 9736 comments Mod
I fell in love with this series. So far my fave hero is Lucien. He's so sad and lonely.

message 6: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Loves 'Em Lethal (new)

I agree, Kiki!

message 7: by Othena (new)

Othena I can't decide between Maddox,Aeron or Gideon.
She writes great heroes.

message 8: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Loves 'Em Lethal (new)

I still love Lucian, Torin, and Aeron the most out of the lords. I thought I didn't like Sabin until I read his book.

message 9: by Akaria (new)

Akaria Gale | 59 comments Favorite lord is Sabin. There's just something about him that makes me melt. I also love Lucien and Gideon. Didn't care for Reyes' story. Actually he was ok. Danika was really annoying though. Oh, and how adorkable are Bianka and Lysander? The Harpies are great!

message 10: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Loves 'Em Lethal (new)

Danika was annoying. Totally agree with you there, Akaria. Kiki, I will keep my distance from Torin, because I don't want to get beat down by his jealous wife! :)

message 11: by Wan (new)

Wan (wanwaddell) | 252 comments I love them all. Even William. Have you guys read the special when Willam interviewed the Lords? Hilarious!!!

message 12: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Loves 'Em Lethal (new)

Not yet, Wan. Is that on GS's website?

message 13: by Wan (new)

Wan (wanwaddell) | 252 comments No I read it in the Dark Beginnings (Includes Lords of the Underworld, #0.5 & #3.5 & #4.5) by Gena Showalter .

message 14: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Loves 'Em Lethal (new)

Okay, I haven't read it yet. I'm looking forward to it.

Valerie ~ Val Hall ~ | 152 comments I must say that I was a bit worried how Amun's was going to turn out. All the Lords have endearing qualities but the keeper of secrets I was feeling sorry for him. So The Darkest Secret is my second best to Lucian's story.

message 16: by Cindi (new)

Cindi (ourtrumpcard) | 381 comments I am reading Darkest Passion right now, and am also lovin' Aeron and his angel. GS is one of my very, very fav authors and her creativity astounds me. Plus, she and I must have the same taste in men because I am hot of all of them! Blue hair, tats and piercings = yes, please. But I have to admit that sometimes I get a bit thrown off when Ms. S skips around the world with her storylines and certainly I can't tell where the battle between the Greek gods and Titans will end up...and now she's introduced The One True Deity and Lucifer!!! I wonder how Gena did in high school mythology class?

message 17: by Wan (last edited Apr 04, 2011 04:01PM) (new)

Wan (wanwaddell) | 252 comments Valerie wrote: "I must say that I was a bit worried how Amun's was going to turn out. All the Lords have endearing qualities but the keeper of secrets I was feeling sorry for him. So [book:The Darkest Secret|84149..."

Ohhh,is it that good? Man I have to put it in my TBR next month.

Valerie ~ Val Hall ~ | 152 comments Well I am sold to this series so I can hardly be objective. The side stories are nice too, Strider making an ass of himself and know more about William.

message 19: by Wan (last edited Apr 06, 2011 02:40PM) (new)

Wan (wanwaddell) | 252 comments @Cindi -- That's why I love this series so much. It's soooooo out of the (Pandora's) box. LoL

message 20: by Kia (last edited Apr 08, 2011 02:59PM) (new)

Kia (kiasomers) | 14 comments I'm with you ladies. I love my lords as well… with my favs thus far being Aeron, Reyes, and after reading The Darkest Secret, Strider and William are working their way onto my list. I really hated William at first, but the way he is with Gilly is starting to warm my heart to him.

Gena is amazing at her plot and storyline. I never know where the story is going to end up and there is always really interesting additions to the plot, but there are some things that I wish were different. For one, I also, almost walked away from the series a few times, but not because of a specific lord or lady. As strong as Gena's plot strengths are, sometimes I wish that her ability to describe and develop emotions within each romance were stronger… and her vocabulary in such situations was broader. Everything is "mine" and "slitted eyes" and so forth. As different as all the romance stories are, they get so boring sometimes because they are all written and described exactly the same way.. with the same words.

Sorry.. I had to vent on that one. It's something that has been urking me since book 2 and it's not getting any better. I did indeed enjoy Amun's book though, and am really really impatiently waiting for Strider's. I have a feeling it is going to be very amusing… and sexy.

message 21: by Suzisu (new)

Suzisu (sisuzisu) | 36 comments @Kia, i have to agree with you a little on the limited range of vocab and descriptions. Don't get me wrong, I love the series and have enjoyed most of them, but while I loved Gideon's story (Darkest Lie) the whole way of handling his 'opposite speak' was done so clumsily that I think it really detracted from the UX. Have had to walk away from the series for a bit, but will come back to it. Try the Demonica Series, if you like the LotU, you might like them.

message 22: by Kia (last edited Apr 08, 2011 02:58PM) (new)

Kia (kiasomers) | 14 comments Sisu wrote: "@Kia, i have to agree with you a little on the limited range of vocab and descriptions. Don't get me wrong, I love the series and have enjoyed most of them, but while I loved Gideon's story (Darke..."

I love the series too, but the vocab gets too repetitive, making it almost boring.. doesn't it. As anxious as I am to read Strider's story because I'm really curious to learn more about him, I am almost glad it doesn't come out until October, because I agree with you. I need to take a break between books or else it wouldn't hold my interest.

As far as the Demonica series, it's already on my to-read list. I have the first couple books taunting me from my book shelf, but I haven't had a chance to dive into them yet. I'm sure I will enjoy them. Thank you for the recommendation, I appreciate it.

message 23: by Akaria (new)

Akaria Gale | 59 comments If you like the Lords you're gonna love the smokin' males in Demonica. They are all awesome but Eidolon and Con are my favorites.

message 24: by Cindi (new)

Cindi (ourtrumpcard) | 381 comments Sisu wrote: "@Kia, i have to agree with you a little on the limited range of vocab and descriptions. Don't get me wrong, I love the series and have enjoyed most of them, but while I loved Gideon's story (Darke..."
So true! I did not enjoy that book...

As much as I love GS's creativity, I'm with ya'll - Demonica is an incredible series!

message 25: by Shellbelle (new)

Shellbelle  | 161 comments Okay so I LOVE LOTU, and I have The Darkest Secret all downloaded on my Nook, but I can't seem to make myself read it! Amun has never been my fav, but I don't hate him. So tell me, for those of you who have read it, is it good? How does it relate to the rest?

message 26: by Kia (last edited Apr 08, 2011 10:55PM) (new)

Kia (kiasomers) | 14 comments Shellbelle wrote: "Okay so I LOVE LOTU, and I have The Darkest Secret all downloaded on my Nook, but I can't seem to make myself read it! Amun has never been my fav, but I don't hate him. So tell me, ..."

I felt the exact same way prior to starting The Darkest Secret. I have to say though that I was pleasently surprised. I enjoyed it a heck of a lot more then I expected to, for the very same reasons you can't bring yourself to read it. Amun is still not one of my absolute favorites in the bunch, but I couldn't help but adore him for all his amazing qualities. You will enjoy it, I promise. Plus.. it gets you very excited for the next one. At least it got me very excited for the next one.

message 27: by Shellbelle (new)

Shellbelle  | 161 comments Kia wrote: "Shellbelle wrote: "Okay so I LOVE LOTU, and I have The Darkest Secret all downloaded on my Nook, but I can't seem to make myself read it! Amun has never been my fav, but I don't hat..."

That makes me a little more excited to read it, Thanks! Is the next book Striders? and Then Paris right? I can't wait for Paris:) He is my fav.!

message 28: by Kia (new)

Kia (kiasomers) | 14 comments Shellbelle wrote: "Kia wrote: "Shellbelle wrote: "Okay so I LOVE LOTU, and I have The Darkest Secret all downloaded on my Nook, but I can't seem to make myself read it! Amun has never been my fav, but..."

Yes.. The 8th book is Strider's and then Paris. If Paris is your favorite, then you will be excited to hear that you get a couple good scenes of him in Amun's book.

message 29: by Shellbelle (new)

Shellbelle  | 161 comments Kia wrote: "Shellbelle wrote: "Kia wrote: "Shellbelle wrote: "Okay so I LOVE LOTU, and I have The Darkest Secret all downloaded on my Nook, but I can't seem to make myself read it! Amun has nev..."

YAY!!! Now I'm reading this next:)

message 30: by SATIN SUE (new)

SATIN SUE     | 5 comments hi every one, iv just popped by to invite you all to an interview on my blog...im interviewing Gena today at 3pm english time...i hope you can all stop by....

http://satinsbookishcorner.blogspot.com/

message 31: by Becky (new)

Becky  (bucktuskl) | 2 comments This is my favorite series by far. Reyes is my favorite but I love Maddox too :)