Against the Day Against the Day discussion

Neal Stephenson Similarities?

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Boyd (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:22PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Boyd There were quite a few passages in AtD that seemed very similar to some of Stephenson's explorations in Cryptonomicon and the Baroque Cycle. Did anyone else notice any of this? Specifically in their explorations of alchemy.

Teresa Haha! How fun. I just finished Cryptonomicon, and thought perhaps I had Stephenson over-the-topness on the brain. Glad I'm not the only one!

I'm only on page 80 in AtD, but maybe I'll revisit this topic when I'm further along. For now, I'm enjoying both authors' unabashed love affairs with the English language.

message 3: by Jan (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jan Szczerbiuk I have just read Cryptonomicon because of the supposed similarities with Pynchon. I have to say that I don't really see it - both erudite, both weaving fact and fiction but stylistically miles apart. Although I think Pynchon is much better, a class apart in fact, I will read more Stephenson; it was very enjoyable and carries some interesting ideas.

message 4: by Tim (new) - rated it 3 stars

Tim Jin Cryptonomicon was a better book than Against the Day, but I really like Neal Stephenson. Snow Crash!!!! :)

message 5: by Tim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tim i dont see it.. dhalgren maybe..