Literary Exploration discussion

To Kill a Mockingbird
This topic is about To Kill a Mockingbird
The Book-Club Books > July 2010 - To Kill a Mockingbird

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michael, Mod Prometheus (last edited Jul 21, 2010 07:38PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Michael (knowledgelost) | 1255 comments Mod
To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
July's Book is To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee. To celebrate 50 years of Publication.

message 2: by Michael, Mod Prometheus (new) - rated it 3 stars

Impression so far: seems very Southern.

message 3: by Michael, Mod Prometheus (new) - rated it 3 stars

The first 10 chapters were almost a waste, I don't think the book really started till Chapter 11

message 4: by Mary, Quiet Observer (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mary (fruity) | 128 comments Mod
Would you consider it very southern if you read it yourself, rather than use the audiobook with the southern accent?

I love the first 10 chapters. although i'm only up to chapter 8. But I love the way it portrays the innocence of childhood.

message 5: by Mary, Quiet Observer (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mary (fruity) | 128 comments Mod
I have finished the book and thought it was great. unlike Chazz, i found the court case rather boring and predictable and much prefered the adentures of Scout and Jem and their coming of age story.

Lisa James (sthwnd) I read this years ago & loved it, read it again as an adult & still loved it. Loved it even more because it's not only on the 1001 Books to Read Before You Die list, it's also on the Banned/Challenged books lists.

It is VERY Southern. It's a time capsule of the way life WAS down here at the time. Yes, the descriptions of the court case were a little dry, but they were accurate.

Sonali V I have read this book innumerable times and never do i find it boring. Everytime I find something I had not paid enough attention to.It deals with so many topics but with the lightest of touches.

Franky I think the court case was fairly important to the coming of age of Scout and especially Jem. They realize they have to broaden their perspectives and views, and this is what Atticus tries to get across to them. Tom Robinson is sort of symbolic of that mockingbird that Atticus is trying to teach the children not to hurt. Just because the world isn't fair, it doesn't mean you have to go along with it. You have to show integrity, and hold your head up and do what's right. Atticus' response to the tragic events following the trial serve as a model to his children. So, to me, the case was a very big part of the learning experience of the book. Just my thoughts, though.

Sonali V You are absolutely right Franky. Everythng that Atticus wants his children to learn comes together in that scene.I think the night Atticus sits on guard outside the prison and all that follows is a phenomenal piece of writing, so much is conveyed in such a short space.