Paranormal Romance & Urban Fantasy discussion

Totally Off Topic > One book and/or Series

Comments Showing 1-38 of 38 (38 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Danielle (new)

Danielle (4siegel) | 69 comments If someone asked you for a book recommendation and you could only choose ONE book/series, which would it be?

message 2: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 2659 comments Mod
I'd have to know what genre they enjoyed reading. I'm kind of an omnivore when it comes to books--I'll at least take a stab at anything. :o)

But, here's my list with breakdowns and explainations:

Mystery--Joanne Fluke's Hannah Swensen series. Mostly because I LOVE the recipes she puts in the books. The mystery is OK, but its definately a "cozy" mystery, in that you're more interested in the characters than the mystery.

PNR--Shelly Laurenston's 2 over-lapping series. The Magnus were-wolves and then the Pride series. Here Kitty, Kitty! is one of the first set (not the first one, but hey, I have a headache and that's the title I could remember.) Beast Behaving Badly is from the second/over-lapping series. She does a lot of humour in her books and I love the characterizations.

Fantasy Andre Norton's Witch World series. First book of which is, unsurprisingly, called The Witch World.

UF--ok, this one is a lot harder. Since I love both Jeaniene Frost's Night Huntress series, as well as Jim Butcher's Dresden series.

Of course, I'd also try to get a little more info on what kind of reading they like so that I'd have a better idea if the ones I just suggested would interest them or not. :o)

message 3: by Lory (new)

Lory (moty) | 103 comments That's a little difficult, but I would say the Sookie Stackhouse series.

message 4: by Shelly (new)

Shelly (mashbay) I wouldn't be able to pick the Fever series because the cliffhangers would drive the person crazy if they could only have one book so I would say The Maze by Catherine Coulter or Gone with the Wind.

message 5: by Emma (new)

Emma | 3 comments i would say The Mortal Instruments series by Cassandra Clare.

message 6: by Lady E. (new)

Lady E. (nightsky101) | 17 comments The Darkess Power series by Kelley Armstrong

message 7: by Catherine (new)

Catherine I would say the Harry Dresden series by Jim Butcher.

message 8: by Emma (new)

Emma | 3 comments ooooh im reading The Darkest Powers series at the moment :) its amazing.

message 9: by Lady E. (new)

Lady E. (nightsky101) | 17 comments Emma wrote: "ooooh im reading The Darkest Powers series at the moment :) its amazing."

is it amazing!! i love Derek!! have you read any of her other books? there good too :P

message 10: by Emma (new)

Emma | 3 comments derek is awesome :D no i havent read any of her other books im not sure which ones are good tehe :)

message 12: by Lady E. (new)

Lady E. (nightsky101) | 17 comments Erica wrote: "Emma wrote: "ooooh im reading The Darkest Powers series at the moment :) its amazing."

is it amazing!! i love Derek!! have you read any of her other books? there good too :P"

The Women of the Otherworld series

Jen  ~The dreamer~ | 649 comments The Night Huntress series by Jeaniene Frost for sure.

message 14: by ஐAndreaஐ (new)

ஐAndreaஐ (rosesrrblue) | 707 comments I totally agree. Night Huntress Series!!!

message 15: by Laura Lulu (new)

Laura Lulu (lauralulu) The series I recommend to everyone, regardless of what genres they like to read, is the Hunger Games Trilogy by Suzanne Collins. And every single person I have rec'd it to, both in real life and here on GR, has loved them. The 3rd & final one comes out next month.

The Hunger Games (Hunger Games, #1) by Suzanne Collins Catching Fire (Hunger Games, #2) by Suzanne Collins Mockingjay (Hunger Games, #3) by Suzanne Collins

But if it was someone who was a fan of the UF/PNR genre, I would recommend Ilona Andrews' Kate Daniels Series. Definitely my fave UF series.

Magic Bites (Kate Daniels, #1) by Ilona Andrews Magic Burns (Kate Daniels, #2) by Ilona Andrews Magic Strikes (Kate Daniels, #3) by Ilona Andrews Magic Bleeds (Kate Daniels, #4) by Ilona Andrews

Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog) | 411 comments I agree with you Laura, those two series are definately brilliant. Curran is my fave hero, ever! and the Hunger Games is just plain brillinat

message 17: by Heather (new)

Heather Book Savvy Babe (booksavvybabe) | 26 comments I would choose the sookie stackhouse series:
Dead Until Dark (Sookie Stackhouse, #1) by Charlaine Harris Charlaine Harris

message 18: by Shelly (new)

Shelly (mashbay) I was going to say the same as Laura, but they are series. I'd go with those!

message 19: by Laura Lulu (new)

Laura Lulu (lauralulu) Shelly wrote: "I was going to say the same as Laura, but they are series. I'd go with those!"

Ooh, I forgot it was just supposed to be one book--so I'd recommend the 1st book of each of those series. :)

message 20: by Danielle (new)

Danielle (4siegel) | 69 comments It can totally be a series. It's hard to just read the first book. Thanks. Y'all have great answers!!!!

message 21: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (lrc123) | 115 comments Either the Night Huntress novels or the Black Dagger Brotherhood novels. Whenever i see someone pick up one of those in the bookstore, I'm always like "That's a really good book/series. I highly recommend it".

message 22: by Irene (new)

Irene Hollimon | 182 comments Oooh mmm it's tough but the first one to jump to my mind was the Sookie Stackhouse series by Charlaine Harris

message 23: by Heather (new)

Heather | 243 comments Jeaniene Frost's Grave series
Sherrilyn Kenyon's DH series
SEP's Chicago Star series
Gena Showalter's Lord series
Suzanne Collin's Hunger Game series
J.D. Robb's In Death series
Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum series

message 24: by Angela (new)

Angela (angbens) | 343 comments Black Dagger Brotherhood. It is the series that I mostly recommend to anyone that like PNR

message 25: by Kelleigh (new)

Kelleigh (goodreadscomsunshine2047) Fever Series by Karen Marie Moning...hands down!

message 26: by Ann aka Iftcan (last edited Jul 22, 2010 01:38PM) (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 2659 comments Mod
Kelleigh, no, no, not the Fever Series. At least, not YET. Maybe recommend it in say the middle of Nov. Otherwise the poor person will curse us all forever when she hits that last one and suddenly discovers that the last book isn't due out til THE MIDDLE OF JAN. (Contemplating pulling out my Dr. Demento's Do-It-Yourself Voodoo for Idiots Home Study Course and sticking a few pins into proxy dolls of the editors for that publisher.)

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) That's tough. My all time favorite changes. This would be easier if it was by genre or by age group (YA vs adult).

If I was in the mood to only have the best romance, it would be Tairen Soul.

Mortal Instruments takes it for both my personal favorite YA series and favorite hero, although Hunger Games is the best YA out there right now and I almost hate to not give it top honor. HG is better hands down, but MI edges it out for me because of Jace. Katniss is 10,000 times better than Clary, though.

If it was the best all around series that has a bit of everything from action to romance, it would be Rachel Vincent's shifter series. Sorry, Mercy Thompson...I like you, but I like werecats better.

Favorite to recommend for all ages : The Percy Jackson series.

message 28: by Irene (new)

Irene Hollimon | 182 comments Oooh Mercy Thompson could kick Faythe Sander's tail!
I like the werecats series but it took me a little while to get into. Marc Ramos just doesn't do it for me.
Adam Hauptman on the other hand, ooh la la. Handsome, Rich and the heart of a wolf : )

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) Jace > Marc!

I like Adam too though. :)

Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms) (ter05) | 608 comments YES to Mortal Instruments and JACE!

message 31: by Kristin (last edited Jul 23, 2010 06:28PM) (new)

Kristin (krispymac) | 4 comments Totally agree with Ilona Andrew's Kate Daniels series! each book is better than the last in my opinion.
The series that really got me into the fantasy/romance genre was the Black Jewels trilogy by Anne Bishop. The settings and descriptions are so rich and full, it was captivating. Been hooked in the fantasy world and all its' sub genre's ever since!
Daughter of The Blood by Anne Bishop Heir to the Shadows (The Black Jewels, #2) by Anne Bishop Queen of the Darkness (The Black Jewels, #3) by Anne Bishop

always good to see discussions with great recommendations!

message 32: by Camilla (new)

Camilla (millaz) I think I would go with Kresley Cole's 'Immortals After Dark' series..

(Love Gene Showalters LOTU series too though..)

message 33: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (bama_sugar82) | 10 comments There are so many I would recommend but I guess my tops would be:

"The Dark Series" By Christine Feehan
"The House of Night" By P.C. and Kristen Cast
"Sookie Stackhouse Series" By Charlaine Harris

But it was Christine Feehan who got me started on PNR and the fact that there are so many books in that series, you don't get bored easy! I love my Carpathians!

message 34: by Danielle (new)

Danielle (4siegel) | 69 comments Ok, since I posted this discussion, I have read Mortal Instruments series and the Hunger Games series! Both insanely brillian!! loved them both so much. thanks for the recommendations!
Now what to read next...think I am going to try Hush Hush then Night Huntress!

Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms) (ter05) | 608 comments The Iron King and the newly released The Iron Daughter are really good too. Personally I discovered Juliet Marillier's books through a facebook friend and in two months have bought and devoured every book she has written including two that have one of her short stories in them. Try the Sevenwaters series starting with Daughter of the Forest.

message 36: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Kolodziej (ejkolodziej) | 107 comments The Tortall Series by Tamora Pierce is a great pick for any age

message 37: by Lily (last edited Aug 16, 2010 10:06AM) (new)

message 38: by Danielle (new)

Danielle (4siegel) | 69 comments Thanks girls!!! I will try them all!!!!