Babblers Who Read discussion

1 view
Favorite Childhood Books

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Scrabbler (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:22PM) (new)

Scrabbler | 10 comments I began to be a voracious reader as a child, well, as soon as I could read. Books were and are my friends. In front of my parents' house is a huge red maple tree, and as a kid, I would climb up there, get comfy on the big branches that formed a seat, and read while in my secret retreat.

As a kid I read everything I could, but remember Nancy Drew, Dr Seuss, and Beverly Cleary books. I loved non-fiction even when I was young, and read children's dictionaries. (I was preparing for Babble.) At about 15 I discovered The Catcher in the Rye and re-read that one regularly.

In my practice as a pediatrician I enjoy talking to kids about reading books. Kids are amazed when I discuss Harry Potter books with them. I get "cool points" too.

message 2: by Heather (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:22PM) (new)

Heather | 30 comments Mod
I remember picking up one of my mom's books, and being amazed at how tiny the print seemed compared to my books. I couldn't wait until I was able to read the books with the small print like my mom!

Favorite books: The Secret Garden, Encyclopedia Brown, Lois Duncan books (they were a bit supernatural), and I plowed my way through the Native American legends section at my school's library. I also had a book of Greek myths that I liked to read frequently.

message 3: by Yoink (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:23PM) (new)

Yoink | 7 comments I remember being read "The Water Babies" by Charles Kingsley by my mum as a child and being enchanted by the world under the sea that the characters found themselves in. Also, like Heather, I loved a book of Greek myths and legends that we had and would read and re-read them.

message 4: by LizSark (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:23PM) (new)

LizSark | 10 comments I read everything and anything as a child (well actually I still do!) but the ones that really stick in my mind are The Little Princess, The Secret Garden, The Flambards series and Alice in Wonderland.

My favourite child's book of today is one that I bought for my son when he was at playschool. It is called Giraffes Can't Dance by Giles Andreae

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Giraffes-Cant...

message 5: by FranMag (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:23PM) (new)

FranMag | 16 comments The Chronicles of Narnia are by far my favorite books from childhood.

message 6: by Lideola (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:23PM) (new)

Lideola | 3 comments The book I remember most from early childhood that I loved was Where the Wild Things Are and The Hungry Caterpillar. The ones were most memorable from when I was a bit older and could pick what I wanted from the library myself were:

Where the Red Fern Grows (I cried and cried)
The Chronicles of Narnia
Romeo & Juliet (I know- not technically a "book")
Nancy Drew stories
Alfred Hitchcock stories
Any Mythology- greek, norse, whatever I could get my hands on

I am so sure there are many more that I am forgetting.

message 7: by Jill (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:24PM) (new)

Jill (jillibus) | 4 comments I was given The Water Babies as a child (because I loved swimming) and really all I remember about it is the marvellous names "Mrs Doasyouwouldbedoneby" and Mrs Bedonebyasyoudid".

My favourites were all the Christopher Robin books including the verses, illustrated by E. H. Shepard: Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking-Glass; and Just So Stories by Rudyard Kipling, and I re-read them over and over again (still do sometimes!)

message 8: by Saintfranny (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:24PM) (new)

Saintfranny | 2 comments I read, over and over, a series of Christian books called "Uncle Arthur's Bedtime Stories." It had 20 volumes, each with, I don't know, 10-20 stories in them. I lent them to a friend years ago when she had her baby, and naturally, when I asked for them back recently, she had no memory of such a thing. :(
So, even though I don't exactly prescribe to Xtian thought anymore, I'm sad I don't have the books anymore.

message 9: by FranMag (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:24PM) (new)

FranMag | 16 comments Lideola, I used to read every kind of mythology I could also. The library had a series of hardcover books with mythology and stories from other countries. I'm sure I read all of them.

message 10: by Lbd (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:24PM) (new)

Lbd | 13 comments The usual suspects, Winnie the Pooh, Dr. Seuss, Robert Louis Stevenson, Agatha Christie, Madeleine L'Engle, The Little Prince, Polar Express, The Velvetine Rabbit, then my nieces were born and I discovered a cute collection called Serendipity books. They have the whole collection, and yes I read them first!

message 11: by Annie (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:25PM) (new)

Annie | 4 comments yay Fran! I love Narnia and my sister and I still have our original copies and she has a lovely boxed set in mint condition.

message 12: by FranMag (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:25PM) (new)

FranMag | 16 comments I was given a boxed set of paperbacks as a gift. I'm glad I got all the books at once because I read them back to back. I can't imagine waiting for the next one to come out!

message 13: by Doren (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:26PM) (new)

Doren | 6 comments I devoured everything in the Teaneck Library's junior room. I can still remember which stacks had the myths and biographies - my favorite genres then. And all AA Milne, Beverly Cleary and Eleanor Estes. The Secret Garden, The Enormous Egg (loved dinosaurs), The Wheel on the School were among favorite individual books