Reading the Chunksters discussion

Anna Karenina
This topic is about Anna Karenina
Archived 2010 Group Reads > Anna Karenina 16: Part III - Chapters 22-27

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by LynnB (new) - added it

LynnB These chapters are take in Vronsky, Anna, Karenin and Levin all in different parts of their lives. It was very interesting in general, but I find the parts that describe details of farming and government life to give more information than I'm needing and sometimes it gets easy to skim those parts instead a reading them, just so I get the general idea of what they are saying. In these chapters:

When Vronsky gets Anna's note, he thinks about how much he loves her and how happy he is with her. He sets off for her country house, as she has requested. When he arrives, Anna tells Vronsky that she has told her husband about their affair, so Vronsky fears her husband will want a duel. However, after reading Karenin’s letter to Anna he doesn't know what to think. He tells Anna to abandon her son and get a divorce. She burst into tears, having wanted him to shout something like "Come away with me now!". She wants him to be more passionate about their love.

Her husband, Karenin, delivers a speech before the Commission on the relocation of native tribes and Anna goes to her home in St. Petersburg. He was surprised to see her there as he had already forgotten the date he had set as an ultimatum. She says that though she is at fault, she can't change how she feels. Karenin demands only that Vronsky never set foot in his home, as he is worried about his own honor. He tells her there need not be any marital relationship.

Meanwhile, Levin has feels worn down from his unending struggle with the peasants over farming techniques. He wants to see Kitty, who is nearby, but feels he cannot. Dolly tries to lure Levin to visit but he doesn't do it, and instead he takes off to visit his friend Sviyazhsky who lives far away. Halfway there, he eats a meal at a well-to-do peasant's home, and life there makes an impression on him. Later, Sviyazhsky seems intent on arranging a marriage between Levin and his sister-in-law, but Levin wants Kitty or no one. Sviyazsky believes Russia is a ruined country and he believes in the issue of liberty for women. Levin notes that there are contradictions between what Sviyazhsky believes and how he lives.

At dinner, Sviyazhsky also entertains two old-fashioned landowners. Chapter 27 is mostly their discussion about farming and progress, which was interesting for Russian history, but these parts don't add to the story of Anna for me.

Andrea Lynee, I agree with you that the parts on politics and farming made the book a bit slower then the drama. In retrospect, I bet the farming and politics are interesting to some people. I think I was just so caught up in the dram and love story aspects that I was getting annoyed that I had to read about current events as well...lol I would most likely pick up more of these details on a second read. I was reaiding along, but I got too far behind and figured I just had to go with what I remember.