What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Wait Till Helen Comes
This topic is about Wait Till Helen Comes
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. Family lives in church? [s]

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Caitlin (new)

Caitlin | 8 comments Hi there.

My memories of this book are incredibly sparse, but I recall loving it and reading it cover to cover in a couple of days when I was about 11 years old. Every time I hear a specific song, my mind immediately goes to this book. I'd love to find it again.

A family moves into an old church. There is a graveyard that the daughter spends a lot of time in, and maybe (??) relates to a ghost haunting the church/graveyard.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Jackie "the Librarian" | 219 comments I think you are looking for Wait Till Helen Comes by Mary Downing Hahn.
Here's the review from School Library Journal:
Gr 4-7 Ghost story fans have a spooky treat in store with Hahn's eerie new novel. Molly, the 12-year-old narrator, and her brother Michael dislike their bratty 5-year-old stepsister Heather and resent the family move to an isolated converted church in the country. The adjourning graveyard frightens Molly, but Heather seems drawn to it. Molly discovers that the ghost of a child (Helen) who died in a fire a century ago wants to lure Heather to her doom. Molly determines to save her stepsister. In so doing, she learns that Heather's strange behavior stems from her feelings of guilt at having accidentally caused her mother's death by playing near a stove and starting a fire. Eventually, Molly wrests Heather from Helen's arms as the ghost attempts to drown them. The girls discover the skeletons of Helen's parents, and their burial finally puts to rest Helen's spirit. This is a powerful, convincing, and frightening tale. The details of everyday life quickly give way to terror. The pace never slackens. Characterization is strong, and descriptive passages set a mood of suspense. There should be a heavy demand from readers who are not ``faint at heart.'' Judy Greenfield, Rye Free Reading Room, N.Y.Copyright 1986 Cahners Business Information, Inc.

message 3: by Caitlin (new)

Caitlin | 8 comments YAY!!! I can't believe how quickly you found it!

I'm heading out to find it straight away.

I really do appreciate your help!

More exclamiation points!!!

Jackie "the Librarian" | 219 comments My pleasure!