The Next Best Book Club discussion

Other Novels To Discuss > The History of Love by Nicole Krauss

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 2: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne (entropy-reversed) I've recently finished this book and would love to discuss it with people! particularly how it ended..

message 3: by Shae (new)

Shae | 23 comments I read it awhile ago, but I'd love to give it a try. :)

message 4: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne (entropy-reversed) am i allowed to mention 'spoilers' in this section?

message 5: by Kaion (new)

Kaion (kaionvin) Of course! It'd be pretty hard to discuss some books without spoilers.

message 6: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne (entropy-reversed) i know, but in another of my groups they have separate threads for 'spoilers' and 'non- spoilers'.
Ok, so, someone please please explain what actually happened in the book, the end was far too confusing, turns out Bruno was dead all along? so the neighbour upstairs was just someone he had created in his mind to keep him company?

message 7: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joaowens) | 5 comments I read this quite some time ago, but really loved it and recommend it to many people.

message 8: by Esther (new)

Esther (eshchory) | 573 comments I read this book and loved it.
I was taken aback at the end to realised how much was illusion. and it took me a while to figure out all the intertwining strands. But that didn't detract from my enjoyment.

And yes Bruno was dead.

message 9: by Donna (new)

Donna (dfiggz) | 1626 comments I was confused about that as well but Thx for clearing it up Esther!

It has been some time since I read it.

message 10: by Donna (new)

Donna (dfiggz) | 1626 comments I was confused about that as well but Thx for clearing it up Esther!

It has been some time since I read it.

message 11: by JSou (new)

JSou I loved this book, too. I still think about Leo Gursky.

message 12: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne (entropy-reversed) Leo Gursky was an excellent character.. the rest of it, i'm not so sure about

message 13: by JenniferD (last edited Jul 20, 2010 04:04PM) (new)

JenniferD (jooniperd) This novel is in my top ten. I adored the characters and the prose was stellar. I read this novel when it first came out, in 2005, (and again this past May) and the last words of this haunting novel resonates like a pealing bell. “He fell in love. It was his life.”

There are actually several quotes from the book I have noted:

"The truth is the thing I invented so I could live."

"Then he almost, but didn't, say the two sentence he'd been meaning to say for years: part of me is made of glass, and also, I love you."

"When they write my obituary. Tomorrow. Or the next day. It will say, Leo Gursky is survived by an apartment full of shit."

I am not even that mushy or gushy but this book really conjured emotion.

message 14: by JSou (new)

JSou I agree, Jennifer. I gave this book 5 stars; I thought the whole thing was beautiful.

message 15: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne (entropy-reversed) It was beautifully written. I spent the entire book completely immersed in it and shocked at how much i was enjoying it because it's not my usual read, but when i finished it i was left thinking 'OK, what was the point in that?' I don't know, it just left me wondering what exactly had happened and I just don't like books where nothing really happens.. the whole book felt like it was leading up to something and i really enjoyed it! but nothing actually became of it all.. i rated it 3 stars..

message 16: by Esther (new)

Esther (eshchory) | 573 comments Suzanne wrote: "It was beautifully written. I spent the entire book completely immersed in it and shocked at how much i was enjoying it because it's not my usual read, but when i finished it i was left thinking 'O..."

Krauss is a post-modern writer and they seem to feel that plots and endings are entirely optional. This is the reason I nearly skipped this book.

She does and more of an ending and a 'point' compared to most post0morderns I know what you mean.

Despite that I loved this book because I felt it really was about loved not the obsessive passion that most authors seem to confuse with love.

message 17: by Claire (new)

Claire (clairebear8) | 514 comments I loved this book as well. I read it about a month ago and thought the writing was beautiful and the love story was beautiful. I was really surprised at the end too!

message 18: by Joanie (last edited Aug 18, 2010 11:26AM) (new)

Joanie | 714 comments I read this a few years ago and liked it but wasn't quite as taken with it as some others seemed to be. Krauss is married to Jonathan Safran Foer and I actually felt their styles and plot lines were really similar, especially with Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close. There were differences to be sure, but a lot felt the same to me and I think that might be part of the reason why I didn't love it as much as others did. History of Love may have been written first, I'm not sure, but I read it after reading both of JSF's novels.

message 19: by Esther (last edited Aug 18, 2010 10:41PM) (new)

Esther (eshchory) | 573 comments Joanie wrote: "I read this a few years ago and liked it but wasn't quite as taken with it as some others seemed to be. Krauss is married to Jonathan Safran Foer and I actually felt their styles and plot lines we..."

I read ELIC and really disliked both the characters and the writing style. Knowing that Nicole
Krauss was his wife made me a little nervous when approaching The History of Love.
Although her book is definitely post-modern, not a genre I'm fond of, her writing style seemed gentler and more caring and her characters were kinder, more nuturing of one another and not so quirky they tested my patience.

message 20: by Joycer (new)

Joycer | 23 comments I loved this book. It was absolutely beautiful :)