Chicagoland Vampires discussion

Once you've finish the series > Magic Bites Group Read & Discussion

Comments Showing 1-50 of 71 (71 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Meredith Barrons | 280 comments Mod
This thread will be available on July 30th after we do our Magic Bites group read!

Okay, I am opening this thread now for discussion! I finished the book early and am dying to talk about it. I really loved the book, especially for the first book of a series. Sometimes it can be hard with all the world building that needs to be done, but after about 100 pages I got the hang of everything!

Kate is such a kick-ass heroine. I totally love her. Cullen is to die for, and I love the banter between him and Kate. Wonder if we will ever see Crest again. He was getting on my nerves and even though he is human I still felt like he was up to something! The whole idea of piloting vampires was a little confusing to me. I guess I finally broke it down to humans, pack, and then the vampires who are controlled by their piloters. I am still a little confused on the whole guild and order thing! I have to go back and read what each one does again. When I read the first time it was kind of information overload!

message 3: by Mariya (new)

Mariya (cr6zym0nkeyiz) | 487 comments Mod
oh, yes! i loved curran and kate! i love their love/hate relationship. i really cant wait to get my hands on the second one, this series is awesome! i loved the whole bit when kate went to the keep on all the shifters and when she put that spell on derek to protect her, obey her. i love derek too!

message 4: by Barb (new)

Barb | 3 comments Loved this book! Am already up to book #3, way past my monthly new book purchase limit :-)

This is such a great series, the words of power thing is really different, I like it. And I definately like the way Andrews has created the world, it's not the same old, same old, in terms of character types or environment.

The words of power are definitely interesting. I don't fully understand how the whole thing works. Why did she have to be "given" them by someone? Does the second book delve more into that?

message 6: by Mariya (new)

wht do u mean the power thing?

message 7: by Mariya (new)

theres like 3 other books im dying to read including magic burns, so hard to pick which to read next...im reading angel's blood right now and eternal kiss of darkness and then wht i had next on my list was magic burns, archangel's kiss, and rogue(shifters2)....but i think its between magic burns and archangel's kiss....such a hard decision.

but i will definetely read the next kate daniels series is amazing!

message 8: by new_user (new)

new_user Oh, Derek gets even more lovable, just you wait! And Curran is great in the next two books. To sum them up in a nutshell, Guild = mercenaries; they're people who fight for anyone for money only. Order = people working in the public's "best interest." If you submit a complaint to them, they handle it at their discretion. She mentions in one book that that might mean killing your aunt if she's a threat to the public, etc. They're Big Brother, LOL.

The power of words is kind of an old concept originating from the idea that language has power. Orators, storytellers and speakers skilled at manipulating words and ideas have swayed masses for centuries, but sometimes these words gain momentum and a word gains a life of its own. (To relate to current events, think of words like "terrorism" or "freedom," etc.) The words that Kate uses are more basic and for that reason carry a lot of meaning and power. They're affecting words, the primitive prototype of all languages and concepts common to all people, so when she's mastered one of these words, she's really mastered their meanings, the force/power behind them and their ability to affect people. Some people have believed throughout history that there are words so powerful that to even utter them aloud carries consequences, that they have power. So this is kind of where Kate's "words" are springing from. Hope that's not all babble, LOL. She's always drawing from folklore, ya know?

kc (4saintjude) (4saintjude) | 160 comments Barb wrote: "Loved this book! Am already up to book #3, way past my monthly new book purchase limit :-)

This is such a great series, the words of power thing is really different, I like it. And I definately..."

OK - just finished book 3 - couldn't stop! I have book 4 at the library on hold, not sure how I am going to wait until 10am tomorrow to get it! Curran gets better and better.

message 10: by kc (4saintjude) (last edited Jul 29, 2010 04:16AM) (new)

kc (4saintjude) (4saintjude) | 160 comments Mariya wrote: "theres like 3 other books im dying to read including magic burns, so hard to pick which to read next...im reading angel's blood right now and eternal kiss of darkness and then wht i had next on my ..."

I totally pushed off EKOD, and had to keep reading the Kate Daniels books. I feel like I am in the zone and they end with such enticing little tidbits that it draws you right on it.

message 11: by Meredith Barrons (new)

I HAVE to get book two today. I tried to start EKOD but I just want to read the next Kate Daniels instead. Obesessed ladies! Obsessed! New User- Thanks so much for explaining the words of power things. It makes much more sense to me now.... Oh, and what was that thing Bono said about her father not being her real one and where all her power comes from? I am really curious about that. I really hope Curran is in every page of the next book. I am in love! I want more than just a kiss between them. There is so much chemistry between them and I love how Kate doesn't even really realize it yet!

message 12: by Mariya (new)

omg. i know. i would be reading magic burns rite this minuted except the stupid library hasnt delivered it to the one close by where i live...i wanna read magic burns sooooo bad.

@KC: OMG. ur already on book 4. wow! but i get wht i mean. im currently reading angel's blood which is amazing like everybody says but as soon as i get the update at the library that magic burns is in im stopping to read whtever im reading (which will probally be EKOD, b/c im almost done wit AB) and diving rite into magic burns...

so since ur on book 4, how r the other 2 books, do they get better than the first? i want me some curran!

its a really good thing we had this group read, otherwise i probally wouldnt have read it, i wouldve kept putting it off and off..but im sooooo glad i read it!

message 13: by Mariya (new)

wht was ur guys favorite part in magic bites??

message 14: by kc (4saintjude) (new)

kc (4saintjude) (4saintjude) | 160 comments Meredith - Officially Obsessed here too! Like Fever, this series gets better and better with each book. Curran really makes his biggest splash in book 3 - but there is a slight bit more of him in book 2 than in Magic Bites. I think I'll be modifying my top 5 :)

Mariya - Since I can't pick up Magic Bleeds until 10 this AM, I started EKOD last night. It's been pretty good so far - but somber - Mencheres is a pretty serious guy. Finishing it will have to wait until tomorrow.

message 15: by kc (4saintjude) (new)

kc (4saintjude) (4saintjude) | 160 comments Mariya wrote: "wht was ur guys favorite part in magic bites??"

My favorite part was when Curran was in the tank. *BSE*

message 16: by kc (4saintjude) (new)

kc (4saintjude) (4saintjude) | 160 comments OK - here are general comments about the world/book etc. I found that things that are hinted at or not well explained in prior books usually do factor into the story later on - lots of little hints just like other fave series. Each book does build on itself, and it is much easier to read - they pick up really quick, unlike Magic Bites which took some time to get into.

I gather this takes place in about 2040 or so, where Magic is resurfacing in the world. They talk about how Magic and Tech (non-magic) have switched off over time, Tech having been prevalent most recently (think back to King Arthur the last time Magic was prevalent). Now Magic is slowly switching with Tech, and eventually Tech will disappear (meaning all of our technology innovations will cease working). That means cars, computers, etc. I didn't get it at first, but over time, more and more examples (like the electric lights switching off and fey lanterns switching on) help foster that understanding. During the books, Magic is slowly gaining the upper hand, but Tech still has a foothold, and we have them switching every couple of days or so.

Kate's parentage is relevant, and I am sure it will be the main focus of Magic Bleeds. There are little hints through MBi, MBu, & MS - about her powers and why she is special become more and more clear. If it seems like it might be important, you can expect to see it again (sound familiar?)

message 17: by Heather (new)

Heather Book Savvy Babe (booksavvybabe) | 19 comments alright, seeing as how this thread opened a little early, I will start the book today so I can join in!

message 18: by kc (4saintjude) (new)

kc (4saintjude) (4saintjude) | 160 comments The Guild vs the Order:

The Guild is basically like a union of magic workers. The Order is more like an 'altruistic' org. that gives magical aid. There are also paranormal police and military organizations too (think police, FBI, etc.) The Order is the hardest to compare to something in our world. But they had a story in Magic Burns that really made sense and why Kate doesn't care for them - (alert if you'd rather read this in the book yourself, then skip the rest of the post!)

Each time magic hits, you find a harpy in your tree. You call the Guild and they tell you it will cost you $500 to have a mercenary remove it. You don't have $500, so you call the Order. They evaluate what you can pay, and decide that it will only cost you $50 to have a 'Knight' take care of it, provided you sign an agreement that gives the Order complete authority in this magical manner. You sign and wait for Magic to hit again. When it does, you notice that your old Aunty is also missing, and putting two and two together, the harpy is actually your old Aunty who is harmless after all. You call the order and say you don't need their help anymore because Aunty is not hurting anyone, your kids love her, and you'll just keep your eye on her, etc. etc. The order, however, had previously determined that small % of harpy's carry a disease in their claws that could be potentially fatal to a human if scratched. Their charter is to protect humanity. The contract is non-retractable - no matter how much you plead, you have no recourse. So they take down the harpy.

OK - that was all I had for the moment. Thanks for indulging me :)

message 19: by Mariya (last edited Jul 29, 2010 08:31AM) (new)

Kc wrote: "Mariya wrote: "wht was ur guys favorite part in magic bites??"

My favorite part was when Curran was in the tank. *BSE*"

I ♥ CURRAN!!!!!

message 20: by new_user (new)

new_user Magic Strikes is the best one, wait til you read that one!!

message 21: by Amanda (new)

Amanda The Book Slayer (amanda_the_book_slayer) | 22 comments I just finished Magic Burnes and am dying to read Magic Strikes. This series is soooo goood. I really enjoy the action and the love interest between Kate and Curran. Curran is probably one of my fav. character's. I mean the guy is always saving her but and it's cute watching him struggle to get her to date him. lol

message 22: by Meredith Barrons (new)

I just picked up the second book today! I can't wait to start it! I hear they get better and better and I loved the first one! I definitely think it took a little while to get into it because of the world building but once it got going I was sucked in! I like how Kate is so strong on her own and doesn't need anyone to save her. She is totally kick ass! I am looking forward to more Curran! I definitely loved the part where he was in the tank, and I was cracking up at some of the one liners that him and Kate threw at each other!

message 23: by Mariya (new)

i have the second one ready to pick up at the library...will be starting it sometime this week if they dont add any shifts for me at work. gotta love kate and curran!

message 24: by Shelly (new)

Shelly (mashbay) Kate and Curran are too of my favorite characters to read. Both of them have some of the best quotes!

message 25: by Heather (new)

Heather | 16 comments I love this series. I am just about finished with Magic bleeds right now. So good. So much Curren. Damn that man is hot!!!

message 26: by Shelly (new)

Shelly (mashbay) He really is one of the hottest!

message 27: by Amanda (new)

Amanda The Book Slayer (amanda_the_book_slayer) | 22 comments Just finished Magic Bleeds and I love Curran as the main character. He is perfect for Kate. I have to say that is my fav. book so far. I wish the next one would come out soon.

message 28: by Meredith Barrons (new)

Okay, so I have literally read through all 4 of the Kate Daniels books in about two weeks. I LOVE this series. Curran is definitely in my top 5 now! Not to mention the humor in these books is the best. I can't believe that we have to wait almost a year for the next one!

message 29: by Mariya (new)

yes. i knoe. a year. im trying to slowly read them....i decided to take a break from 3-4....hoping i can ho;d off for a while so book 5 isnt too far away, but honestly i dont knoe how long ill last before i run up to the library and pick it up. lol

message 30: by Shelly (new)

Shelly (mashbay) I've reread this series so many times. I devour the books when they come out! I saw a picture of Mark or is it Marc Walberg the other day and in my mind Curran looks a little like him.

message 31: by kc (4saintjude) (new)

kc (4saintjude) (4saintjude) | 160 comments Meredith Barrons wrote: "Okay, so I have literally read through all 4 of the Kate Daniels books in about two weeks. I LOVE this series. Curran is definitely in my top 5 now! Not to mention the humor in these books is th..."

One of the funniest lines ever is from Magic Burns = When Kate says she needs to get Curran a bell.

Curran is in my top five too. I had to move Darcy to "not in the same category status" and that freed up a slot :) I was going to fill it with Z or V, but man, Curran....he is right there with Bones, Barrons, Dimitri, Ethan.

The only bad part was that I couldn't make him look like David Gandy in my head.

message 32: by Mariya (last edited Aug 26, 2010 08:47PM) (new)

*possible spoiler*
i was just reading the curran POV ebook..and omg. i love his POV. i always read them over and over. i love this part, is's so funny:

She crouched with her hand out. What the hell was she doing…
"Here, kitty, kitty, kitty."
Oh my God, she was retarded and I was going to kill Jim.

message 33: by kc (4saintjude) (new)

kc (4saintjude) (4saintjude) | 160 comments Thanks Mariya! I totally forgot about those stories - I downloaded them before I started reading the series.

message 34: by Mariya (new)

i read them rite away. and it is so funny. i love curran's POV. i hope we get more of them.

**possible spoiler**
do u remember in book 2 where kate found out what the soup meant when, curran feeding her it? i was soooo happy to hear his thoughts of what he was thinking about at that moment. he is too funny. i love curran.
**end of spoielr**

ill be picking up book 3 this week so i cant wait to get back into it. love this series!

message 35: by Hana (new)

Hana | 24 comments Mariya wrote: "i read them rite away. and it is so funny. i love curran's POV. i hope we get more of them.

**possible spoiler**
do u remember in book 2 where kate found out what the soup meant when, curran f..."

The books are worth reading! I just finnished the first 4 and cannot wait 4 the fifth one next year, they get better and better!

message 36: by Meredith Barrons (new)

I totally will not be able to take the waiting until next year. I love Kate and Curran, and Illona is hilarious. I think these books have the best one liners that I have read! It will be interesting to see what happens in the next book now that Kate and Curran are finally a couple...

message 37: by Mariya (new)

i just finished magic strikes and OMFG. i read it in 2 days. if i didnt have work i wouldve read it in one day. best book in the series so far. cant wait to start magic bleeds.

message 38: by kc (4saintjude) (new)

kc (4saintjude) (4saintjude) | 160 comments You are going to love Magic Bleeds :)

message 39: by Mariya (new)

haha. i already have a feeling i will. i knoe i said i wasnt gonna read them til i was close to magic slays but god, so hard to resist. these books are amazing!!!! cant wait to start magic bleeds.

message 40: by Meredith Barrons (new)

They get better and better! You will love it! Curran is totally in my top 5 now! I think we should do another group read. Any suggestions? I heard Stacia Kane's Unholy Magic series is really good.

message 41: by Mariya (last edited Sep 15, 2010 12:54PM) (new)

haha. i knoe he is up on my top 5 also. i mean how can he not be. and i dunno about another group read, ask lady vale about it, i may or may not participate this time....im kinda just trying to catch up on some of my series before starting a new one hopefully ill be caught up by next month....im trying to finish the shifters, nightwalkers, and georgina kincaid series b/c ive only read book 1 in each of them.

i keep on starting new series. i think i have an addiction for starting new series b/c i wanna read everything at once. i think im currently reading 25 or 26 series and waiting for the last book of some of them..haha.

but ill check out the description and some reviews of the unholy magic series to see if i wanna add it to my list.

message 42: by kc (4saintjude) (new)

kc (4saintjude) (4saintjude) | 160 comments I'm up for a group read - obviously I prefer UF. Haven't heard anything about Stacia Kane's series. Someone mentioned an angel series, but can't remember it. I think that it will have to be really really really good to keep up with Kate Daniels, Fever, CLV, VD, & Night Huntress!

Meredith - yeah, Curran is definately top 5 worthy.

message 43: by Mariya (last edited Sep 15, 2010 07:35PM) (new)

i would perfer something UF too. wht's on ur guys TBR list that you really wanna read soon.

cassandra palmer ~ i dont knoe, b/c i hear mixed reviews about this one i hear first book is hard to get through but the rest is really really good.

jaz parks ~ i really wanna read this one. im really interested and i hear that there is some real hot sexual tension between the hero and heroine.

elemental assassin ~ i hear good things about this series, but i wasnt too convinced too read, b/c i dont like the cover, i try not to do that though.

but wht r some on your guy's list u wanner read??? i maybe wanna look into them. and then maybe we can decide together.

message 44: by kc (4saintjude) (new)

kc (4saintjude) (4saintjude) | 160 comments I think my list if full of things you guys have already read! Outlander, Highlanders, and Morganville Vamps. I started the Zodiac series last week, and loved the first book.

You guys could do Georgina Kincaid. Not my fave RM series, but it was the awesome emotional roller coaster that you always get from RM. I think I wasn't in love with the hero, so I didn't get as into the story as I normally do. I really liked Georgina, and there was steamy stuff added in very clever ways.

message 45: by Mariya (new)

i already started georgina kincaid. and the highlanders i just started book 4 first...hahaha. maybe when meredith comes back on the post we could ask her for others she had in mind.

message 46: by Meredith Barrons (new)

I prefer urban fantasy also. I was thinking about trying the Cassandra palmer books again. I tried the first one a while ago but it was really hard to get into. What is the Zodiac series? I never heard of that one! I am also interested in the Riley Jenson books but I am not sure if that is UF or PR?

message 47: by Mariya (new)

i think that riley jenson was PNR. so was cassandra palmer hard to get into correct? that why i havent started it yet. i need a push. i have no idea what the zodiac series is...ill look into it.

message 48: by kc (4saintjude) (new)

kc (4saintjude) (4saintjude) | 160 comments Vicki Pettersson wrote the Zodiac series. I enjoyed the first one. I think it is considered dark Urban Fantasy.

message 49: by kc (4saintjude) (last edited Sep 16, 2010 11:31AM) (new)

kc (4saintjude) (4saintjude) | 160 comments If Cassie Palmer is good (ie: just one book being difficult is OK, as long as the others make up for it), that might be good to read. It seems to be a general UF problem...

message 50: by Mariya (new)

yea. i heard that the first book of the cassandra palmer is hard to get through...but i also heard that it is a fntastic series IF you can just get through book 1. id like to try it if you guys r game.

« previous 1