Outlander Series discussion

Archived > Audible.com

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Does anyone know much about this site? I know it's not specific to the Outlander series, however I'm looking to purchase Outlander as an audio book so I thought this was an appropriate forum to ask about it!
Audible.com has an option to pay $7.49 per month for the first 3 months, then $14.95 per month, with the option to cancel at any time.
How does this actually work? Do you pay the monthly fee, and then also pay for any purchases on top of that? Or are purchases included in that monthly fee and you can get as many as you want?
Thanks!

message 2: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 1124 comments Jessica - I have audible and love it!! I pay 14.95 a month and that gets me 1 credit, which is the equivalent of a book (i.e. outlander). there are very few purchases that are more than 1 credit (some of the subscriptions to like the harlequin ebooks and stuff). If you want any additional purchases then you have to buy but they are still at a discounted price. like I bought one of the in death books by jd robb between months. if i wasn't a member it would have cost like $30, but it only cost me $17. plus they have huge sales where you can pick up books for like 5.95, 8.95 and have featured books of the month. i just got nora roberts new one for 9.99 (didn't opt to use my credit on that)

message 3: by trish (new)

trish warren (trishwarren) | 35 comments Jessica, Audible pretty much always runs a deal where the first 3 months are $7.95. That price will get you one credit per month. All of the Outlander series are 1 credit.
After 3 months you pay $14.95/mo which will also get you one credit. Most books are 1 credit and if you don't use it you will just have credits in your account.

message 4: by Sherdnerd (new)

Sherdnerd | 7 comments I'm an audible.com member and it's great. Smooth downloads to my computer and to my iPod and the files play smoothly. I used to get CDs from the library and dowload them to my iPod but found the recorded format to be combersome - the short segments (2-3 minutes each) would hicup when played on my iPod - this does not happen with audible files. And my computer crashed a couple of months ago but no fear, I was able to redownload a book I already purchased but hadn't backed up.

And every couple of months the have a sale that's too good to pass up. I purchased Voyager a couple of months ago for $4.95. It's taking me quite a while to get through it - it's over 40 hours long - so money well spent. Not to mention it is very well read.... I'm trying to decide which one to get next....

Jessica - I also have purchased JD Robb's In Death books - they're great, aren't they...

message 5: by Lori (new)

Lori (scholarlyme) | 46 comments Audible member as well and LOVE it because I keep listening to audio books almost constantly (!!) and the 1 credit per month thing for $14.95 is just great for me to keep on building my library. I've read tons of sci-fi, fantasy, fiction of all sorts. I've been a member for almost 5 years.

Has anyone tried the Kindle?? I think that might be cool cause you get the printed version, too....

message 6: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 1124 comments I have a kindle, but if you are using text to speech, its not the same as an audiobook, its more robotic...but i guess you could be listening and reading to the book at the same time - because you can play audiobooks on it - never tried though

message 7: by Lori (new)

Lori (scholarlyme) | 46 comments Delicious Dee the book slut wrote: "I have a kindle, but if you are using text to speech, its not the same as an audiobook, its more robotic...but i guess you could be listening and reading to the book at the same time - because you ..."

Thanks for responding, Dee. So, is the text that you download not the same as the printed book??

message 8: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 1124 comments ?? i'm not sure I understand your question...

you can listen to audiobooks from audible on your kindle...not problem...you can read books on your kindle, but if you use the text to speech option that is available on some books, if it not like listening to the audiobook because it is a computerized voice...but the text is the same...does that make sense? is that what you were asking?

message 9: by Lori (new)

Lori (scholarlyme) | 46 comments Delicious Dee the book slut wrote: "?? i'm not sure I understand your question...

you can listen to audiobooks from audible on your kindle...not problem...you can read books on your kindle, but if you use the text to speech option..."

Yes! Thanks - I'm glad I asked.

message 10: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 1124 comments i do highly recommend it though - i love my kindle!

message 11: by Lety (new)

Lety | 13 comments Sherdnerd,
How much space do you need on your ipod for the audiobooks? 40 hours is a lot!

message 12: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 1124 comments Lety - I can tell you have I have a 32gb Itouch and have no only drums of autumn on there, but at least 10 other audiobooks...so plenty of room...I think there are like 7 sections for each, and they are between about 70 and 90 mb each

message 13: by Lety (new)

Lety | 13 comments Thanks, Dee. So an Itouch, a Kindle, what else? You're all tech! :)

message 14: by Lori (new)

Lori (scholarlyme) | 46 comments Lety wrote: "Thanks, Dee. So an Itouch, a Kindle, what else? You're all tech! :)"

I just use a small iPod that also contains a lot of music (because I teach group fitness too). Usually, the audio is broken up into sections of 6-8 hours of audio. I put one or two sections on at a time and have plenty of room for my music - I only have like 8G.

message 15: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 1124 comments pretty much any type of MP3 player can be used...when you set up your account it will ask you to select the format (and they have a guide to help you pick which one) - but any type of ipod, kindle, zunes etc

Lety wrote: "Thanks, Dee. So an Itouch, a Kindle, what else? You're all tech! :)"

message 16: by Lety (new)

Lety | 13 comments I'm planning on buying an iTouch to get the audio books from audible and was wondering if 32 or 64... but I think 32 will do, right? I will also download the Kindle app for iTouch so I think I'll be all set. :) I've been wanting to reread the series, but don't have the time, so audio seems like my option, so I can listen on the go and do other things as well. Your comments have been very helpful. Thanks.

message 17: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 1124 comments i have a 32 and even with all my stuff on it, I only have like 4gb full...so 32 should be plenty

message 18: by Wan (new)

Wan (wanwaddell) | 564 comments I see it on Facebook that you can down load ABOSAA for free at audio.com.

message 19: by Lotte (new)

Lotte | 330 comments Wan wrote: "I see it on Facebook that you can down load ABOSAA for free at audio.com."

Thanks for sharing! Bur excuse me, what do you actually mean, audible.com or audio.com? I checked on both: audible has just got the abridged version and audio refers you to "cheapest books". In this thread I'm assuming you write about an audio book or is it something to download to "Kindle"?

message 20: by Wan (new)

Wan (wanwaddell) | 564 comments Yes, that's what I meant. Sorry. I went back there today, it wasn't free anymore. If you have facebook account you can still see it advertised as free but I didn't try to download, though.

message 21: by Lotte (new)

Lotte | 330 comments Wan wrote: "Yes, that's what I meant. Sorry. I went back there today, it wasn't free anymore. If you have facebook account you can still see it advertised as free but I didn't try to download, though."

Thank you! I'm desperately waiting for the unabridged audio book, though.

message 22: by Chris (new)

Chris | 13 comments I just saw that offer on facebook today but decided not to download ABOSAA as it was abridged. So I downloaded Drums instead - for free.