tbr-reading-challenge discussion

Welcome!

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Maria (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:22PM) (new)

Maria Elmvang (kiwiria) | 123 comments Mod
Welcome to this group. When I listed all my books on GoodReads, I discovered I own more than 70 books that I've never read! And yet I keep going out to buy more books! That makes no sense, so for the next... 6 years apparently ;) I'm dedicated to reading at least one book a month that I *own* but have never read before.

Do you want to join me? Just jump right in! :)

message 2: by Nightfalltwen (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:23PM) (new)

Nightfalltwen I think I have a problem with this one. LOL.

There are only three books on my shelf that I haven't read.

What do I do when I've finished those? o.O

message 3: by Maria (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:23PM) (new)

Wow! Well done! Either you don't have many books, or you're a LOT more organized than I am... Personally I'd guess the latter ;)

Hmmm... do you have some sort of "books I've always wanted to read but never gotten around to" list? Do those instead then :-D

Or pick somebody off goodread and choose books from their shelves?

Or take one of those "top 100 books" lists?

I'm just shooting off ideas here really. Whatever works for you :)

message 4: by Alexandra (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:24PM) (new)

Alexandra I also have a stack of books I've picked up but haven't read yet because I end up getting new books to read instead. There are also many books I have I'd like to reread, but don't often get to that either.

message 5: by Nightfalltwen (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:24PM) (new)

Nightfalltwen I probably also just don't have that many books. What's actually on my bookshelf (my list here is books I've read but not necessarily own) is here: http://nightfalltwen.livejournal.com/...

Right now I have a bunch of books from my "to read" list on this site on hold at the library.

I think it's because I don't normally buy a book and stick it on my shelf. I buy a book and it stays with me until I've read it :D

message 6: by Maria (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:24PM) (new)

That's probably it. I tend to go crazy at times - especially when in London as they have such good deals compared to Denmark. Or I'd get books as gifts and not get around to read them, so they'd be stuck on my shelf and eventually forgotten.

Well, to *some* people 100+ books would be TONS - guess I'm just kinda obessed when it comes to books ;) As listed here, I own 400-something (the 695 are books owned AND books read. I decided to make a specific 'owned' shelf to keep track of the former).

message 7: by Lacey (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:24PM) (new)

Lacey | 8 comments That's crazy to think of London as a place for good deals! Come to Oklahoma! Your suitcase would weigh down the plane!

message 8: by Nightfalltwen (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:24PM) (new)

Nightfalltwen I don't let people give me books. They're never on my wishlists for Christmas unless it's a specific book in a series that is coming out around Christmas and I know I'll like it because I planned on buying it for myself anyway. But I don't normally let people buy me books because I'm fairly selective about what I read.

Funny thing is... I totally buy books for other people. I'm great at selecting books that I know the rest of my family will like to read.

Hee. :D

I never differentiated between owned and not-owned-but-read books on my list at this site. Maybe I should! ^_^

message 9: by Maria (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:25PM) (new)

Oooh my! I LOVE getting books. That's definitely my favourite gift :) I'm quite specific in my wishes though, but as there are always 5-10 books I'd like, that usually doesn't prove a problem.

At first I contemplated having two different accounts - one for my owned books and another for not-owned-but-read books, but decided that was more trouble than it was worth, and ended up creating the shelves instead. I like knowing how many books I own :D

message 10: by Suvi (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:25PM) (new)

Suvi (orpheusbooks) Books are always on my Christmas wish list but only because I myself get to choose the ones I'd like to have. One time I got a youth adult book I once saw in a book store and decided would never want to read it. Well my aunt had bought it to me... After that I started to make specific wishes.

message 11: by Nightfalltwen (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:25PM) (new)

Nightfalltwen No I absolutely hate it. No one ever knows what kinds of books to pick out for me, so unless I've requested something specific (IE: a new copy of a book that I don't have anymore but used to own or a book that is being published shortly before christmas), I don't want to wait for someone to get it for me.

Mostly I think it's because I'm too impatient. Like I know there's a book I want to read that is being published in November. Now I could totally put that on my Christmas list... but there's no way I could wait that long to read it.

Plus I like going into bookstores and reading the backs of books and the first few pages before I invest in a story.

message 12: by Maria (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:26PM) (new)

I totally understand that, and trust me, if I had the money for it I would NOT be waiting for Christmas or my birthday either. Unfortunately books in DK are really expensive (so much so that it's cheaper to buy a book off Amazon *including* postage), so I have to limit myself somehow.