Oprah's Book Club at Goodreads discussion

Book Discussions > Breath, Eyes, Memory *SPOILERS*

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (Books: A true story) (booksatruestory) | 218 comments Mod
The ending shocked me a little. I wasn't expecting her mom to commit suicide. As I was reading the book, it made sense to me because she seemed happy and at peace when she saw Sophie for the last time. But as I thought about it after I finished, I couldn't help but think that she ran away from her problems. It seems like she spent her whole life making decisions out of fear. I don't know. What do you think?

message 2: by Janet (last edited Jul 16, 2010 12:40AM) (new)

Janet The mother's suicide surprised me also. She held herself together for years until faced with another pregnancy (in her 40s? late 40s?). Perhaps she was dying of cancer.

I liked Sophie. I especially enjoyed the grandmother and learning how their cultural traditions drove many of their actions.

I also wonder if this is autobiographical, or semi-autobiographical.

message 3: by Jessica (new)

What made you think she was dying of cancer? Is it because she refused to refer to her pregnancy as a child? That an interesting interpretation.

message 4: by Janet (new)

Janet The book referred to the mother's prosthetic bra and her cancer. The mother would not discuss her current cancer status, which led me to think that the prognosis was not positive. Also, she was very thin.

message 5: by Jessica (new)

That went right over my head. Thanks for pointing it out to me :)

message 6: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisarosenbergsachs) | 66 comments I just finished reading it last night. The ending was not that surprising. Often when people have decided to commit suicide, they are at peace because they have found a solution to their problems. As a therapist, we tell people that as a warning sign. If someone has been extremely clinically depressed and then have a sense of well-being for no reason at all, watch out!

I thought the book was beautifully written and I enjoyed the poetry of the language that she used. It also gave a good insight into the culture of Haiti.