SciFi and Fantasy eBook Club discussion

July Book Discussions > Old Man's War - the no spoiler thread

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

I just picked it up and will be starting it right after my latest alt history if finished .... in the meantime, what are your initial impressions of the book?

message 2: by Charles (new)

Charles (nogdog) I read it less than a year ago. I thought it was decent and an enjoyable read overall, but nothing so great that I'm going to re-read it again. It reminded me a lot of Starship Troopers and almost as much of The Forever War, but I can't say it was as good as either of those. Still a good read, mind you, but it sort of suffered in that I couldn't help but compare it to those two books.

message 3: by Elaine (new)

Elaine Dowling | 5 comments I really liked the book. I thought it was a clever idea that was developed in a way that was fun to read.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

It was a really fun book to read: the literary equivalent to fast food to be consumed whole to large gulps. SF lite. There were a few interesting flourishes --using retirees--but there rest seemed little retreaded, especially from Starship Troopers. It should be a 3.75 or maybe 3.99 stars book, just short of 4.00 in any case, but still enjoyable. I'm going to give it a few days of thought before posting more concrete ideas and comments.

message 5: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (jennyc89) Is this an unofficial group read? I've been meaning to read the book and I didn't realize there was a discussion on it.

message 6: by Charles (new)

Charles (nogdog) Jenny wrote: "Is this an unofficial group read? I've been meaning to read the book and I didn't realize there was a discussion on it."

It was "official", but 1 year ago. :-)

message 7: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (jennyc89) Ahhh, ok :)