Wild Things: YA Grown-Up discussion

Daddy-Long-Legs (Daddy-Long-Legs, #1)
This topic is about Daddy-Long-Legs
Classics > Daddy Long Legs by Jean Webster

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Angela Sunshine (angelasunshine) I just finished this book and really enjoyed it! It's funny and witty and the main character, Jerusha, reminds me a bit of Anne from Anne of Green Gables.

It's a quick read, all written in letters from Jerusha to her secret benefactor. The ending is a bit predictable, but that doesn't make it any less fun.

The topics she discusses are still very relevant today which makes this book timeless. Hard to believe it was written in 1912!

Thanks for the recommendation, Kandice! Your bookmark pulled me in. :)

message 2: by Jennifer W, WT Moderator (last edited Aug 18, 2010 07:06PM) (new)

Jennifer W | 1289 comments Mod
I didn't much care for this story. There were some memorable lines, but as a story, it didn't grab me. I did like that there were mentions of the fact that women couldn't vote when the story was written. I felt that Daddy Long Legs was rude, controlling and uppity. **Spoiler** Jerusha can do better than him.

message 3: by Jeanne (last edited Sep 01, 2010 02:58PM) (new)

Jeanne (jeanne_voelker) I read Daddy Long Legs when I was a young teenager. I read it because my mother had read it and found it romantic when she was a teen.

The letters are sweet, but the story seems dated now. The 'benefactor' idea seems too much like a 'rescuer'.Nevertheless, AngelSunshine is right that this story is witty and fun. The MC has a delightful voice.

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) I loved this too, I thought it was very cute!