Silver Borne (Mercy Thompson, #5) Silver Borne discussion

Hypothetical Pack Order Question

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Sherryg I have been wondering....if Mercy and Adam had a male child who was like Charles.....Where would this dominant wolf child fall in the order of the pack? If Mercy had had a child of her own and her heritage had come thru and this child had been born like Charles....with Mercy and Adam mated and pack... where would this child fall in the order of the pack? Probably weird questions but it's been nagging at my mind and I wondered if you had ever considered such a thing and had an answer.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Never thought about that, but it's a good question. Adam is obviously pretty dominant and if Mercy were a werewolf she would be quite dominant as well, I think. So I imagine any child of theirs will be pretty dominant. But, then again, Mercy's magic might tweak the werewolf magic, so maybe their child will be sort of outside pack structure, like an Omega.

Steve Finelli It would all depend on the individual strengths of the child. Charles is dominate because he is personally powerful, he does not get any prestige or rank from his father Bran, he is a power unto himself. Any child that Mercy and Adam have would need to work his or her way up the rankings just like any other pack member.

Marília I agree with Moharr101, werewolves have an hierarchy and although that child would be respected for being the alphas son or daughter, just like Jessie, she or he would have to work their way up in the chain of comand of the pack!!!
I just wonder if the baby would be a wolf, a fox, a strange mix of both or just plain human???

Gerd I wonder, with one parent being a coyote, if the child would resonate that well with the other weres at all.
Regardless of possible strenght, would they really allow a mutt in their pack?

Illium I agree with Moharr101. Whether two alpha male/female mate, their child's rank will depend on how strong they are and work their way up to the ranks. In terms of what their child would be, I'm guessing it will bear more of a physical resemblance to either a wolf or coyote.

message 7: by Kendra (last edited Apr 11, 2011 05:22PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kendra Holst Well, if she were to have a child with Adam - and Marilia, I was talking the same question with my mother and we can't decide, either - I think that it would probably be graced with natural dominance. I think this because Bran has two sons that changed, and both are extremely powerful. So you have to assume that dominance, at least in part, is genetic. And also, Gerd, I think that having the parents of the 'mutt' being the two leaders of the pack, and the third (though technically second) being gay, they'd pretty much just have to take it.

Steve Finelli As they say apples don't fall far from the tree. I agree with Kendra that the child(ren), would most likely be pretty dominate and powerful. What the powers would be?? Who knows. If you go off what old Coyote said, the offpring of one touched by him typically will be like the parent, remember to be be a wolf you must almost die. The child would probably be born with the same abilities as Mercy.

As for the pack...??? That all depends on the pack, Mercy was raised with wolves but held no rank until she and Adam got together. I figure that her off spring would be treated the same unless it went through the change.

Michielle I agree with most of the posts. But Charles’s mother was a powerful Shaman, not a coyote shifter. She was much more powerful, giving Charles more magic than any of the others werewolves. For example, being able to shift w/ clothes on. He is also VERY old. But he is still no competition to Bran as an Alpha or the Marrock.

So, I do not think there would be an issue with pack dominance with the son/daughter of Adam and Mercy. And if the child was a lower rank and became a punching bag for the pack, I'm sure Mercy would put a stop to it.

Carrie I think the child would have a bit of prestige being a natural born werewolf as well as have some unique issues. It would be interesting to see what would happen if he had walker power too; would he/she change to wolf on full moons but coyote the other times?

Kendra Holst I don't believe that the child would have more than one thing. I think that if Mercy had a child with Adam, it would either be human, walker, or werewolf. I just don't see how the magics would be compatible all in the same person. I know it's magic, but there are rules to it.

Elayne Well Samuel wanted Mercy because she would be able to have his kids and they'd survive..so the children from the werewolf-coyote pairing must be pretty strong, especially if pa is the Alpha!!

message 13: by Haniccol (last edited Jun 22, 2011 08:51PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Haniccol It's obviously been way too long since I've read the first few books in the series because it took me a little bit to figure out my answer to this. Someone slap me down if I'm wrong, some of my books run together in my head.

I don't think that the child would be a werewolf at all. The only born werewolf that has ever existed is Charles. He was born from two werewolf parents, one of which had to use magic to not change and lose the baby. All the other werewolves were changed at some point in their lives because if being a werewolf was passed down genetically, Jesse would be a werewolf. I think that the child would either be a walker, like Mercy or just a normal (maybe somewhat magical) human. Mercy's mother isn't a walker, so Mercy is technically only half. We found out how she got the walker genes but it's really hard to say if being 1/4 walker would be enough for her child to shift. I suppose it would depend on Coyote and how generous he was feeling at the time of the child's conception.

Either way though, I really don't think that it would be possible that the two magics would combine because the werewolf magic isn't passed down from parent to child and the only passed down magic would be the walker magic.

Let me know what you think.

Haniccol And this is when I reread the first thing and see the "like Charles" part of it that I must of missed earlier...

Kendra Holst The reason I think that it would be possible for Mercy to have werewolf children is that the way they seemed to explain it in the book was that human and werewolf DNA cannot combine in the womb. But Mercy isn't human. She has basically, Native American godliness in her, even if only in part. Native American magic is what made Charles possible.

I'm not saying it's guaranteed, but it seems possible.

Audiobooks_Rock Gerd wrote: "I wonder, with one parent being a coyote, if the child would resonate that well with the other weres at all.
Regardless of possible strenght, would they really allow a mutt in their pack?"

they would. the alpha decides everything hes god.
his word is law. But the hypothetical son would have to work his own way to the top from the bottom, just like everyone else.

Katie Gordon Sherryg wrote: "I have been wondering....if Mercy and Adam had a male child who was like Charles.....Where would this dominant wolf child fall in the order of the pack? If Mercy had had a child of her own and h..."

the child would be adams second replacing darryl and warren would still be adams thrid

Missyb Sherryg wrote: "I have been wondering....if Mercy and Adam had a male child who was like Charles.....Where would this dominant wolf child fall in the order of the pack? If Mercy had had a child of her own and h..."

Mercy is the #2 in the pack because she's Adam's mate & he's alpha. Their child would be #3 if it was a wolf, if not the pack would protect it as they do with Adam's daughter.

Katie Gordon Missyb wrote: "Sherryg wrote: "I have been wondering....if Mercy and Adam had a male child who was like Charles.....Where would this dominant wolf child fall in the order of the pack? If Mercy had had a child ..."

exactly