Zeitoun Zeitoun discussion

Police charged over post-Katrina bridge shootings

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Kokeshi An interesting article from the BBC:

Six New Orleans police officers have been charged in connection with the fatal shooting of civilians on a bridge in the days after Hurricane Katrina.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/10623960

message 2: by Ted (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ted Civilians can be criminals.

Maria They were a family, unarmed, on a bridge, not committing any crimes. How is it OK that they were shot?

The Bamboo Traveler The article was from 2010, but it is still amazing that it took 5 years for charges to be made. I just finished reading Zeitoun. Great book, but awful and disgusting what happened and the fact that few people know about what really happened during and after the hurricane.

Betty I was moved and infuriated by the book. Eggers does an amazing job of telling this story; but it's just outrageous that this kind of thing can happen in our own country. Maybe not all that surprising in these times, but still outrageous.

message 6: by Jukka (new) - added it

Jukka And convicted:
Officers Guilty - NY Times

Another particularly heinous case was the murder of Henry Glover, for which another bunch of cops have been convicted -- they burned the body trying to cover up the murder.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

I couldn't put this book down. It is outrageous. Zeitoun was only trying to help his neighbors. He also wanted to make sure his family stayed safe and well while living away from him. He fed the pups left behind. Then, his whole life went down the drain due to nothing he had done wrong. Truly incredible and sad that this situation happened.

Silverblue Betty wrote: "I was moved and infuriated by the book. Eggers does an amazing job of telling this story; but it's just outrageous that this kind of thing can happen in our own country. Maybe not all that surpri..."

Couldn't agree more....Loved the book and ached for the family. What I'm wondering is that, for the most part, the public says "it's just outrageous that this kind of thing can happen in our own country." yet no one cares enough to demand change.

S.W. This book shocked me .... The unjust branding of people as criminals in such a desperate situation is appalling. I hope that if I'm ever in such a situation that I am in a place where human rights are not violated. As a person who lives outside of America it was terrible to hear that the land of the free could treat its citizens in such a way.

message 11: by Jan (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jan Strnad Zeitoun, and the various other tragedies that sprang from Katrina, are a sobering reminder that we still have a lot of evolving to do.

Catherine I had to keep reminding myself that this happened in the US; disgusting.