Challenge: 50 Books discussion

Finish Line 2009! > Cristin Ashley's Reading List

Comments Showing 1-50 of 87 (87 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Ash (new)

Ash | 212 comments Here we go! A little late, but still in the challenge!

1. Survivor by Chuck Palahniuk
2. The Screwtape Letters by C.S. Lewis

only 48 more to go! :)

message 2: by Ash (new)

message 3: by Ash (new)

Ash | 212 comments 4. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. Rowling

*SO sad the series is over, yet, somewhat happy with the ending. Wish there was more, but isn't that what all authors aim for?

message 4: by Ash (new)

Ash | 212 comments 5. The Book of Illusions: A Novel by Paul Auster

*Slow at times, and somewhat disappointing. Looking into other Auster books.

message 5: by Ash (new)

Ash | 212 comments 6. Fight Club by Chuck Palahniuk.

message 6: by Ash (new)

Ash | 212 comments 7. The Virgin Suicides by Jeffrey Eugenides.

*I would like to see the movie now that I've read the book. Should be interesting with Lux played by Kirsten Dunst.

message 7: by Ash (new)

Ash | 212 comments 8. The Crucible by Arthur Miller.

Better the third time. Since in Salem, I wanted to re-read this book, and it was completely different and far more powerful this time.

message 8: by Ash (new)

Ash | 212 comments 9. Choke by Chuck Palahniuk.
10. The Memory Keeper's Daughter by Kim Edwards.

message 9: by Ash (new)

Ash | 212 comments 11. Twilight by Stephenie Meyer

message 10: by Ash (last edited Feb 25, 2009 02:44AM) (new)

Ash | 212 comments 12. New Moon by Stephenie Meyer

A complete let-down from the initial book in the series. Although that's not unusual, I was heavily disappointed in the fact there was next to zero action in the book. Over 400 pages of "teenage angst" and nothing was resolved/decided. Of course, I'm caught up in the love story, and it's not going the way I want it to. :( I'm having a hard time picking Eclipse back up because of that.

message 11: by Alicia (new)

Alicia (diva2416) I liked Eclipse about 10x better than New Moon. It took me over a month to get through New Moon and I had Eclipse done in like 2 days. Not sure if that helps, good luck!

message 12: by Amber (new)

Amber | 129 comments Pick up Eclipse!! I promise. I didn't THINK I liked New Moon much either due to the Jacob factor. But after I read the final two books, I look back on New Moon and love it. It lays a ton of foundation for the next two books.

In fact now that I am done reading all four, I want to go back and re-read New Moon. Now that I am not pissed that all it talks about is Jacob.
:)

message 13: by Ash (new)

Ash | 212 comments I have already bought all 4 books, so I'm going to finish them all ($22 or more apiece!) I've finished Eclipse now, and it's still not going the way I want! We'll see how it all turns out - thank you for the encouragement! :)

message 14: by Ash (new)

Ash | 212 comments 13. Eclipse by Stephenie Meyer

Finally finished this one. Took me about a month.
Still not going the way I wanted it to go. Oh well, I need to complete the series, so on to Breaking Dawn.

message 15: by Ash (new)

Ash | 212 comments 14. Breaking Dawn by Stephenie Meyer

Was pretty good. I enjoyed the ending, and I'm thinking there will be more at some point. There's no way the Cullens and the Volturi will live in peace for the rest of eternity.

If I were to recommend these books to a friend, I would tell them to read the first and last books. You get the jist of everything that happens from Twilight and Breaking Dawn. No need to read the exhaustive goings-on in New Moon or Eclipse.

message 16: by Ash (new)

Ash | 212 comments so...36 books to go and only 2 months to read them in...somehow I think I need to extend this challenge to 2 years!

Here's to 50 books in two years! :)

message 17: by Mary Todd (new)

Mary Todd (marytodd) | 924 comments Here's to however many books Ashley reads in a year!!!

message 18: by Ash (new)

Ash | 212 comments 15. Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe by Fannie Flagg

In comparison to the movie, it was completely different. Many important details were opposite of what was depicted in the movie; the main detail being that Ruth and Idgie were in love. In the movie, there was no hinting at that fact - or did I just miss it? Also, there were many charaters that were left out, which has to happen in book-to-movie conversions to help keep things moving. In the trial scene, it's Ruth who gives the emotional testimony that sends people over the edge, but in the book, she's been dead for 8 years at that point! They are both good stories, but definately separate. It was a page-turner for me because it took so many different turns from what occured in the movie. Any thoughts?

message 19: by Molly (new)

Molly | 330 comments Ashley wrote: "15. Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe by Fannie Flagg

In comparison to the movie, it was completely different. Many important details were opposite of what was depicted in the movie;..."

It's been a long time since I've seen or read either. But I do remember that the book covered their relationship pretty clearly whereas in the movie I think it was hinted at but never addressed. I have the book at home waiting to be re-read soon!

message 20: by Michael (new)

Michael (bigorangemichael) | 52 comments Ashley wrote: "12. New Moon by Stephenie Meyer

A complete let-down from the initial book in the series. Although that's not unusual, I was heavily disappointed in the fact there was next to zero a..."

I "read" the audio versions of the first three. Part of it was to see what the buzz was about. And part of it was I felt I could't really have a valid opinion unless I'd read the books.

I hate to tell you, but it doesn't ever really get much better.

If you're looking for a good novel by Meyer, try "The Host."

message 21: by Ash (new)

Ash | 212 comments 16. The Fellowship of the Ring by J.R.R. Tolkien

I've always loved this story ever since I first heard of it while working at a bookstore in my hometown. I'm finally getting around to reading it. I'll probably make a collection of my favorite quotes and post them on Goodreads.

message 22: by Ash (new)

Ash | 212 comments 17. The Metamorphosis and Other Stories by Franz Kafka

message 23: by Ash (new)

Ash | 212 comments 18. Boost Your Interview IQ by Carole Martin
19. How to Choose the Right Person for the Right Job Every Time by Lori Davila and Louise Kursmark

message 24: by Ash (new)

Ash | 212 comments 20. The Age Of Innocence by Edith Wharton

WONDERFUL book - I wish there was a sequel!

message 25: by Anton (new)

Anton Roe (antonroe) | 7 comments Ashley wrote: "5. The Book of Illusions: A Novel by Paul Auster

*Slow at times, and somewhat disappointing. Looking into other Auster books."

Ashley wrote: "4. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. Rowling

*SO sad the series is over, yet, somewhat happy with the ending. Wish there was more, but isn't that what all authors aim for?"

Keep the faith with Auster!! I thought the first half of this book was excellent.

message 26: by Ash (new)

Ash | 212 comments Anton wrote: "Ashley wrote: "5. The Book of Illusions: A Novel by Paul Auster

*Slow at times, and somewhat disappointing. Looking into other Auster books."

Ashley wrote: "4. Harry Potter and the Deathly Ha..."

I'm going to give him another shot. I have "Travels in the Scriptorium" coming soon on my reading list. Thank you for the encouragement!

message 27: by Ash (new)

Ash | 212 comments 21. Ethan Frome by Edith Wharton.

message 28: by Ash (new)

Ash | 212 comments 22. Life & Times of Michael K by J.M. Coetzee

message 29: by Ash (new)

Ash | 212 comments 23. Siddhartha by Hermann Hesse
24. Travels in the Scriptorium by Paul Auster

I've given Auster another chance, and I still am not a fan. Sometimes he brings things to life with descriptions that are sickening to me. I'll leave it at that. I got a wonderful quote from this book, so it will get a three-star rating.

message 30: by Emily Sorrells (new)

Emily Sorrells Timbuktu by Paul Auster was good. I liked it. Also the Country of Last Things is supposed to be pretty good. Never heard of Travels in the Scriptorium. How did it end up?

message 31: by Ash (new)

Ash | 212 comments Emily wrote: "Timbuktu by Paul Auster was good. I liked it. Also the Country of Last Things is supposed to be pretty good. Never heard of Travels in the Scriptorium. How did it end up?"

I've read In the Country of Last Things, and it was a pretty decent read, but Travels in the Scriptorium was terrible. An old man is kept in captivity and given drugs to soften his memory - he's held there by the people he's wronged over his lifetime. It sound good, but the actual story is graphic in all the wrong ways. I'm done with Auster! haha.

message 32: by Anton (new)

Anton Roe (antonroe) | 7 comments oh no!! give Auster one more try!!

Mr Vertigo is my recommend. an amazing story about a boy who learns to fly.

message 33: by Ash (new)

Ash | 212 comments 25. The Good Earth by Pearl S. Buck

message 34: by Emily Sorrells (new)

Emily Sorrells Ashley wrote: "25. The Good Earth by Pearl S. Buck
"

Great book!

message 35: by Ash (new)

Ash | 212 comments 26. The Secret Diaries of Charlotte Bronte by Syrie James.

Very interesting book. It makes me want to read all for Charlotte Bronte's (Currer Bell's) work. And for some reason, I thought she wrote more than just four novels. (One of which was published posthumously.) Who knew?

message 36: by Ash (new)

Ash | 212 comments 27. My Life in France by Julia Child

message 37: by Ash (new)

Ash | 212 comments 28. The Lost Memoirs of Jane Austen by Syrie James.

message 38: by Ash (new)

Ash | 212 comments 29. The Copyeditor's Handbook by Amy Einsohn.

message 39: by Ash (new)

Ash | 212 comments 30. The Associated Press Stylebook 2009 by the AP.

Only 20 more to go! Maybe by the end of the year?

message 40: by Ash (new)

Ash | 212 comments 31. The Man Who Ate Everything by Jeffrey Steingarten.

message 41: by Leslie (new)

Leslie (lesliegloe) | 70 comments Ashley wrote: "31. The Man Who Ate Everything by Jeffrey Steingarten."

Did you like this? I get so mad at him when he judges Iron Chef, yet I'm curious what his book is like.

message 42: by Ash (new)

Ash | 212 comments Leslie wrote: "Ashley wrote: "31. The Man Who Ate Everything by Jeffrey Steingarten."

Did you like this? I get so mad at him when he judges Iron Chef, yet I'm curious what his book is like."

It was exhausting to read. He goes into WAY too much detail, and half of the time it's not worth it. The book is composed of short essays he wrote (for various outlets) over the course of 10 years or so. I never realized how long he's written for Vogue.

I found most of his chapters drawn-out and uninteresting. The chapters on salt, white truffles and Olestra, however, are page-turners. Also, I do like him on Iron Chef, because of the knowledge he brings into his reviews. Many of the guest judges, in my opinion, have no business being on that show.

Thanks for the comment!

message 43: by Leslie (new)

Leslie (lesliegloe) | 70 comments Ashley wrote: "Leslie wrote: "Ashley wrote: "31. The Man Who Ate Everything by Jeffrey Steingarten."

Did you like this? I get so mad at him when he judges Iron Chef, yet I'm curious what his book is like."

..."

I agree about how most of the guest judges don't deserve to be on Iron Chef! I do respect his food knowledge, which is why I was curious about the book, but it doesn't sound like it's anything I want to run out and grab right now. My list of reads is so long already! Thanks!

message 44: by Ash (new)

Ash | 212 comments 32. Cafe Pasqual's Cookbook: Spirited Recipes from Santa Fe by Katharine Kagel.
33. Getting Started Crochet (Getting Started series) by Judith L. Swartz.

Both were fun to read!

message 45: by Ash (new)

Ash | 212 comments 34. Cooking with Master Chefs by Julia Child.

message 46: by Ash (new)

Ash | 212 comments 35. Sex and the City by Candace Bushnell.
36. Daisy Miller by Henry James.

message 47: by Ash (new)

Ash | 212 comments 37. Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen.
38. Coraline by Neil Gaiman.

message 48: by Ash (new)

Ash | 212 comments 39. InStyle Parties by the InStyle Magazine Editors.

LAME! I picked up this book thinking it would be full of classy tips on throwing amazing parties, but it's like an Idiot's Guide! AND they named dropped every other page. But then again, it IS InStyle.

message 49: by Ash (new)

Ash | 212 comments 40. My Kind of Town by Eric and Margaret Burnette.

message 50: by Ash (new)

Ash | 212 comments 41. The Lighthouses of New England by Edward Rowe Snow.

« previous 1