Movies We've Just Watched discussion

Good,old fashion, edge of your seat thrillers

Comments Showing 1-42 of 42 (42 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Gail (new)

Gail D.C. | 228 comments I just love what I consider good, old fashion, edge of your seat thrillers!

There are two that come to mind that I just love and believe fit well into this heading. I am sure there are more and if you have any please let me know!

Mine are "The lady in white" and "What lies beneath".

I love the suspence and the what comes next and trying to figure out the movie. All of this WITHOUT the blood and guts. I have a few friends who do not like scarry movies and I tell them that they are missing something!

I guess my taste (?) may come into question here as I am rating the movies on a whole (and I don't care if you like them or not ;) I can't be made to not love these films.)and not on the acting quality of any of the people. Of course there are parts that I fastforward through but I just love these! Although it just about killed me when Harrison Ford turned out to be the bad guy! Loved it! I know it is against type but I think he did a great job! Hope to hear what you think!

message 2: by Crystal (new)

Crystal | 118 comments One of my all time favorite thrillers is "Single White Female".

That movie had me on the edge of my seat when i first saw it and it still gives me chills. I didn't want to room with anyone for a long time after that film.

"What Lies Beneath" was also really good. I didn't see Ford being the villian at all.

message 3: by Charissa (new)

Charissa (dakinigrl) Single White Female is on TV right now in my hotel room... crazy cooincidence!

I thought M. Night Shayamalan's new film 'The Happening' was a good edge of your seat thriller. I even had to cover my eyes for parts of it!!

message 4: by Jim (new)

Jim (jim_) "Three Days Of The Condor", "Basic Instinct", and ThunderHeart" come to mind.

message 5: by Gail (new)

Gail D.C. | 228 comments Jim ThunderHeart was good I had forgotton about that one.

Cryslal I have not seen Single White Female but I remember hearing about it. Was it really that good?

Charissa I am not sure about seeing the Shayamalan film is it really good. I know you said you liked it but the pre-views have me a bit leery of it. Dose it have a twist like his other films?

message 6: by Jim (new)

Jim (jim_) How about the old versions of "Night Of The Hunter" and "Charade"?

message 7: by Crystal (new)

Crystal | 118 comments Gail, don't compare M. Night's new movie to his previous movies. He is not trying to top his last films, he just wants to make them. Go and see the movie but don't go in there with the idea it's going to be like "The Sixth Sense" and "Signs". M. Night stated that this movie is a fun "B" movie.

"Single White Female" is a great movie. Rent it if you get a chance.

message 8: by Gail (new)

Gail D.C. | 228 comments Jim I have not heard of the night of the hunter and the charade you are talking about is it the one with audry hepburn? If is I loved that one too.

message 9: by Gail (last edited Jun 23, 2008 12:21AM) (new)

Gail D.C. | 228 comments Crystal I just read a spoiler review of the happening. Wow it is full of blood and graphic details. Not my cup of tea. I go for the thrillers that just make you jump and scare you half to death with out making you sick and giving you bad dreams. But if you said it was good then I will take your word for it but after all that I have read about it I don't plan to see it. :)

message 10: by Jim (last edited Jun 23, 2008 11:26AM) (new)

Jim (jim_) Gail, yeah that's the right movie. I believe that it was redone as "Something About Charlie". It pales by comparison to the original. If you haven't seen "The Night Of The Hunter" you should, it has a great performance by Robert Mitchum somewhat similiar to his role in "Cape Fear" another great thriller.

message 11: by Robyn (new)

Robyn (roxy_nj) | 35 comments Gail,
Yeah for bring up "Lady in White"!! I LOVE that movie!! Excellet creepy movie without being bloody. I haven't met many people who know it.

Sadly I can't think of anything else to contribute. 'Lady in White', 'What Lies Beneath', and 'Cape Fear' would have been my suggestions. Sexy Harrison Ford as psycho-guy makes the movie so much creepier.

message 12: by Gail (new)

Gail D.C. | 228 comments Jim I will have to look up "TNOTH" and I do love Charade! It is a fav film.

Roxy I discovered "LIW" when I was in high school! I was at a viedo store with a date and I believe he said it was really good so we sat and watched it. We started late and it got over about 1 a.m. What an evening!

I completly love Harrison as the Bad guy. All his films prevous he was the hero so as soon as you see him you go oh here is the good guy how will he help or fix it and then slowly but slowly you see he is no sweet heart! My husband and I saw this film opening night and what a great experance! The who theater was into the film. We were all jumping at the same time and everything.

We have not come across quite that same experance with an opening night crowed for some time.

message 13: by Gail (new)

Gail D.C. | 228 comments I was just looking at some of the other postes and saw the topic by rachel on "Wait untill Dark" It is an older film that is another Audry Hepbutn great! This film too is a great thriller. I had forgotten about it.

message 14: by Manuel (new)

Manuel | 469 comments Wait until Dark is a wonderful example of a thriller. It still holds up quite well after 40 years.

Hepburn is a great actress. Amazing to think almost the entire film takes place in her apartment.

message 15: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) I couldn't stand the supsense in A Simple Plan. It was hard to sit and watch these people make mistake after deadly mistake.

message 16: by Gail (new)

Gail D.C. | 228 comments I have not heard of "A Simple Plan" Tressa I will need to look it up.

message 17: by Hayley (new)

Hayley | 53 comments I agree that What Lies Beneath is a great film and you really don't expect Harrison to be the bad guy.

I would say that you can't beat Alfred Hitchcock - he was the master and I loved Strangers on a Train.

message 18: by Tressa (last edited Jun 25, 2008 01:13PM) (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) Gail, it's a movie starring Bill Paxton and Billy Bob Thornton. Paxton and Thornton come across a wrecked plane with a million dollars inside. They plan to keep the money, but the slow dimwit Billy Bob and his sidekick can't keep their mouths shut. People start dying as they keep thinking of ways to hang on to the money.

It's very well done and suspenseful. It's adapted from a book written by Scott Smith, who wrote The Ruins (people love or hate this book--I love it). Please watch it, you'll enjoy it.

message 19: by Gail (new)

Gail D.C. | 228 comments thanks Tressa I will look it up!

Hayley I agree completly Hitchcock is the man for these kinds of films!

message 20: by Viviana (new)

Viviana | 105 comments Few days away, hello everyone.
I totally agree Gail, don't like bloody and gutty, but intense good thrillers.
And Hayley, I grew up with Hitchcock movies!!!
Noone, till now, has been able to pace with him and his style.
My list covers some of your mentions and some more that you may have forgotten:
-The spiral staircase-anyone remember?
-Spellbound-great Gregory Peck
- Suspicion (that ride on the cliff's edge)
-Strangers on a train
-North by Northwest
-Psycho
-Wait until Dark(greatest Hepburn ever)
-Charade ( so glad you mentioned that movie.I loved it and still do-two of my top-top actors.
Do you know if a DVD was ever releasd?
Coming to today, I have not seen "The 6th sense",nor "Misery" but i would mention:
-Seven / the departed /the shining
-

message 21: by Hayley (new)

Hayley | 53 comments I studied Hitchcock as part of my degree - English Literature and Film Studies - and it was great I watched Rebecca, North by Northwest, Vertigo and Strangers on a Train.

I forgot about Seven, what a cracking film - I was not expecting the ending at all.

message 22: by Steve (new)

Steve | 957 comments Viviana -- the Criterion Collection (the best DVD maker in the country) put Charade out on DVD.

http://www.criterion.com/ASP/release....

message 23: by Viviana (new)

Viviana | 105 comments Thank you Steve, Don't know if I ould get it her, I am a bit far away- Just for curiosity what's the average cost of DVDs in the States?

message 24: by Judy (new)

Judy (judy5cents) | 28 comments I suppose it's too dated now, but the film that had me on the edge of my seat (even though I saw it on television) was "The Andromeda Strain." Another one was "Klute" with Jane Fonda and Donald Sutherland. More recently, I'd say "The Prestige" with Christian Bale and Hugh Jackman. It had twists I just didn't see coming.

message 25: by Sheryl (new)

Sheryl (shashee71) | 71 comments Diabolique (1996)w/ Sharon Stone- Was very good and full of twists.

A Perfect Murder and The Talented Mr. Ripley are two other psychological thrillers that come to mind... and both have Gwyneth.

Stir of Echos w/ Kevin Bacon... very creepy!!

message 26: by Jim (new)

Jim (jim_) Sheryl, great picks.

A few additions, I believe that are not above: A Ghost story suspense called The Changeling with George C. Scott Thriller. How about the maddening film The Conversation with Gene Hackman.

message 27: by Alex DeLarge (new)

Alex DeLarge | 851 comments An often overlooked thriller that I saw at the Drive-In when I was a child is RACE WITH THE DEVIL. In retrospect, what the hell were my parents thinking?!? It scared the bejesus out of me and I spent years of my childhood thinking that every stranger was a member of a satanic cult. Now it's one of my guilty pleasures but really, not a bad film. Here's my review:

RACE WITH THE DEVIL (Jack Starrett, 1975, USA) Jack Starrett’s classic B-film gem sports one of the best tag lines ever: If you're going to race with the devil, you've got to be as fast as Hell! Peter Fonda and Warren Oates take their wives on the best damn vacation ever, a cross country journey from Texas to Colorado in their new RV. Somewhere along the way, they pull of the road for the night and set camp in an isolated clearing. After racing their motorcycles and drinking beer, they settle down to relax and witness a satanic orgy…that ends in a bloody sacrifice. And the chase begins. The remaining 50+ minutes is a mixture of suspense and outright terror as the Deliverance-like cultists seem to be everywhere: from the local sheriff to the tourists at the camp ground! This ubiquitous sense of unease is truly unnerving: every smile, glance, or greeting seems to have ominous undertones. The action is violent and brutal with close-up camerawork in the narrow confines of the RV. Though this is a chase movie, the screenplay really focuses on the sense of dread and abandonment…like strangers in a strange land. When the action sequences happen you have a personal connection and can feel the fear dripping from their pores. My only serious complaint is that Loretta Swit and Laura Parker are relegated to the roles of stereotypical screaming women. Otherwise, a great 70’s B-movie that outruns many contemporary action flicks! (B)

message 28: by Alex DeLarge (new)

Alex DeLarge | 851 comments Rob, good call on the original VANISHING!

message 29: by Crystal (last edited Jun 29, 2008 07:20AM) (new)

Crystal | 118 comments Rob - The Prestige so threw me for a loop. That was a really good movie. I also like Se7en very much too.

I can't remember if I saw The Vanshing, I'm going to have to rent it.

message 30: by Jim (last edited Jun 29, 2008 05:39AM) (new)

Jim (jim_) Alex, I haven't seen RACE WITH THE DEVIL in some time. That was a great movie, I believe it was a star combination that included Peter Boyle, Peter Fonda, and Warren Oates.

I believe that Angel Heart, Coma, and The Ambulance qualify as a good,old fashion, edge of your seat thrillers

message 31: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca van Doren | 38 comments Rob - I can't believe you liked the remake of The Vanishing! The original was fantastic, but the remake was horrid.

Also I'd like to recommend La Femme Nikita - the movie not the TV show. And not the remake which was called I think Point of No Return.

I agree about The Changeling - great film.

Recent ones include The Others and The Ring.
I also loved The Blair Witch Project and Cloverfield, but don't watch them if you have a problem with motion sickness.

message 32: by Crystal (new)

Crystal | 118 comments Viviana - The Departed was amazing. The ending shocked me!!!

I also forgot Perfect Strangers with Halle Berry and Bruce Willis. This movie threw me for a loop. There is not ONE single person that is innocent in that film. I never saw that coming.

message 33: by Viviana (new)

Viviana | 105 comments Crystal, you're right! So far, IMO, the only Scorsese movie (of this genre) that got me from beginning to end.
I know I'll get yelled by most of our friends here,but though recognizing him "a genius" and seen all his movies (liked most part), he uses blood and violence in a too largely way for my taste.
Departed was all so as well but I found it kind of necessary, here. wouldn't say the same for Scarface...or Goodfellas.

BTW, none of you mentioned a movie that doubtless,going back to 70's, must have kept everybody on the sit's edge:
"Deliverance"-"that was the weekend they didn't play golf...."
Does anybody remember it? That was a real nightmare! Besides, great movie with good acting and the most amazing "Banjo" piece ever.

message 34: by Viviana (new)

Viviana | 105 comments Gosh Rob, you're right...i mixed two geniuses.
anyhow Scarface was really,really free blood for everybody..
and Goodfellas, you know I couldn't see it all? I always tell myself I should tie myself at the chair and swallow it. I have it at home,bought on purpose,but still sealed.
Indeed many friends are teasing me...
On the other hand i love Tarantino and he doesn't spare blood either, but that's fun in the end...

Well, i'm on my knees apologizing for that big mistake, it's the heat probably...
I didn't know "Deliverance" was from a book...

message 35: by Steve (new)

Steve | 957 comments I suggest the original Diabolique, from 1955. Also Clouzot's Wages of Fear.

message 36: by Judy (new)

Judy (judy5cents) | 28 comments I saw Deliverance when I was 16 and it really terrified me, more so than any horror film I've ever seen. Unlike Satanic possession, or giving birth to the Devil's baby, or being attacked by hordes of zombies, what happened in that movie could happen to anyone. And it wasn't just the rape, it was how quickly the characters lost their civilized manner and became savages bent on revenge.

message 37: by Viviana (new)

Viviana | 105 comments Does anyone remember "Rosemary's Baby?"

message 38: by Viviana (new)

Viviana | 105 comments Judy, you made me remember another" not easy to forget" movie..
We're again back in the early 70's well, yes, I am that old..)Has anyone seen "Rosemary's Baby?"
It would probably be dated today,but I remember a certain anxiety on the seat...

message 39: by Viviana (new)

Viviana | 105 comments oops the disappeared post,came back from nowhere, sorry for doubling..

message 40: by Steve (new)

Steve | 957 comments I watched Jules Dassin's "Brute Force" last night, starring Burt Lancaster and Hume Cronyn. Quite good.

message 41: by Judy (new)

Judy (judy5cents) | 28 comments I wasn't old enough to see Rosemary's Baby when it came out, but I remember the newspaper ads were sooooooo creepy--a silhouette of an old fashioned baby carriage against a backdrop of dark craggy mountains. And the words "Pray For Rosemary's Baby." When I did see the movie, just the beginning close ups of the Dakota were scary. And what about that line "This is no dream, this is really happening!"?

Also read the book, which I enjoyed immensely.

message 42: by Marc (new)

Marc (authorguy) | 325 comments >>A Ghost story suspense called The Changeling with George C. Scott Thriller.

I was thinking the same thing. And let's not forget The Uninvited.