Oly Reads discussion

Oly Talk > Olympia Fiction Writers

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Manek (new)

Manek Hello--
Anyone interested in joining a fiction critique group? We meet weekly, share a few pages, and discuss... We've also had local writers Jim Lynch and Caitlin Kittredge come talk to us about their work.

There's also a creative writing group (loosely related), which does writing prompts, exercises, and other activities in addition to critiques.

If you're interested, let me know.

Manek

message 2: by Agathafrye (new)

Agathafrye | 751 comments Mod
Welcome, Manek! I have aspirations of writing fiction someday, but I have never acted on it just yet. I know Nitescribe on here was in a fiction group that kind of imploded, so she might be interested. Hope you'll stick around and join in on the conversation...

message 3: by Agathafrye (new)

Speaking of writing, I found this cool link recently while stumbling (stumbleupon=win).
http://www.sfwa.org/writing/chadvce.htm
Hope you writin' types enjoy it...

message 4: by Agathafrye (new)

Welcome Theodora! What a beautiful name you have.

message 5: by Susie (new)

Susie (susidee) | 11 comments I am doing a little writing myself and would be interested in joining. I am reading "Writing down the Bones" by Natalie Goldberg----it is SO very good! She is an author/poet/professor and this book is about writing and the stories inside just waiting to get out. Also, "Bird by Bird" by Anne Lamont is very good and "From Where you Dream" by Michael Olen Butler. Very helpful.

message 6: by Manek (new)

Manek Hi Susie--
I've read Writing Down the Bones and Bird by Bird, and loved them both... Very good inspiration.

What kind of writing do you do?

We meet every Sunday at 7 pm at the Urban Onion (although this week, 7/20, we'll be meeting at Borders, to avoid the Lakefair crowds).

If you're interested, message me with your email, and I'll add you to the reminder/attendance list.

message 7: by Susie (new)

Susie (susidee) | 11 comments Howdy!

Mostly poems, although I am giving short stories a go recently.

Thanks for the invite, my email is susidee@yahoo.com
I dig reminders!!! I am a little spacey.

What is your writing forte?

message 8: by A.J. (new)

A.J. (ajash) | 32 comments Hey everybody, just saw this thread-sorry! The other group (the creative writing one with excerises and such) meets at The Clubside Cafe on Sundays, at 6:30. We're down for inspiration as well as critiquing, with surrealist poetry exercises and word prompt assignments, although you don't have to do any of that if you don't want to-you can just bring your words and we'll give you feed back on them.

We also have artists that attend, drawing while we read aloud and discuss, so we may do some cross-media prompts at some time in the future, like trade stories with artists and vice versa as inspiration for more art/writing.

Email me if you're interested in coming-we're open but like to know when someone new is showing up.

message 9: by Kelsie (new)

Kelsie (kelsierubich) | 18 comments Oh, that sounds so fantastic! I'd love to join you guys this coming sunday if that's okay. I'd be interested in doing some art and writing.

Thanks!

-Kelsie

message 10: by A.J. (new)

A.J. (ajash) | 32 comments Sure, Kelsie! We'll be the group of weird-looking people with tiny laptops and huge drawing pads. :}>

message 11: by Agathafrye (new)

I love that you people are connecting through Oly Reads. It makes me so proud [*sniff*]...