SOS: Serious Overload of Series discussion

Series and Authors We ❤ > Downsider Ghosts / Stacia Kane

Comments Showing 1-50 of 128 (128 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Kindlelicious (new)

Kindlelicious | 39 comments Book 1: Unholy Ghosts
Book 2: Unholy Magic
Book 3: City of Ghosts (comes out end of July)

OMG, I just finished Unholy Magic last night and I am officially obsessed with these books. Like about-to-go-print-t-shirts obsessed. Has anyone else read them? If so, what did you think?

These books are just so intriguing to me. I never thought I would be swooning over an unattractive hitman named Terrible, but I love him! And even though Chess, the female lead, is a drug-addicted, lying, cheating mess, I still want something good to happen to her so badly. Oh man, I could gush and gush about these books! Cannot wait for the 3rd!

message 2: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea (vampirebookclub) | 11 comments I felt EXACTLY the same way. I was floored by how fresh and engaging Unholy Ghosts was (my review), then I started Unholy Magic and was blown the hell away.

The books are so intense and gritty, and Stacia Kane has a remarkable sense of pace and mystery with a seriously tense love triangle thrown in.

Already on my list of best novels of 2010.

I'm of the mind everyone should pick up all three. I even pre-ordered City of Ghosts just to know I would get to see what happens with Chess/Terrible ASAP on July 27. lol

message 3: by Laura Lulu (new)

Laura Lulu (lauralulu) | 1603 comments Yeah! I bought both of them the last time I was at B&N, I'm excited to hear they're awesome. :)

message 4: by Kindlelicious (new)

Kindlelicious | 39 comments They really are, all my book blogger friends have been raving all day on twitter! I think we are annoying at this point. ;)

message 5: by Steph, Serious series addict (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29056 comments Cool! I've got book 1 on a challenge list, so I'll definitely be reading it this year. :D

message 6: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (needsun) | 60 comments My library has the first and second one available as audio books. These are the next ones I put on hold...can't wait!

message 7: by Steph, Serious series addict (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29056 comments Joanne wrote: "My library has the first and second one available as audio books. These are the next ones I put on hold...can't wait!"

Let us know what you think of the audio version, Joanne.

message 8: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea (vampirebookclub) | 11 comments If you're still on the border about jumping on the Downside Ghosts train, I have the first two books -- Unholy Ghosts and Unholy Magic -- up for grabs on my blog.

Here's a direct link. Just scroll to the end of the Stacia Kane Q&A blog item. (Or click the "enter to win" image to go straight to the contest.)

message 9: by Steph, Serious series addict (last edited Jul 20, 2010 10:07PM) (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29056 comments Does this series take place in a real or "fantasy" location? I need a new book to swap out on a challenge for July PDQ. Thanks! :)

message 10: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea (vampirebookclub) | 11 comments Steph -- It's almost an alternate reality. So, in the US after an alternate event reshapes society.

message 11: by Steph, Serious series addict (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29056 comments Hm, then I don't recon it would qualify for this category?? "Read a book that happens in a place that is completely created by the author's imagination or a place that cannot be found in a current world map. (fantasy)." DangIt!!

message 12: by Kindlelicious (new)

Kindlelicious | 39 comments The city is not real, it's called Triumph City (I think?)so I think it would count, and the Downside (a part of the city) would definitely count.

message 13: by Regina (new)

Regina (reginar) | 2883 comments I have this book waiting for me at the library .... I have heard mixed reviews. Some people have been bothered by the drug use -- what do others think about the drug use in the book? I do plan to read in in the next 10 days ......

message 14: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea (vampirebookclub) | 11 comments Yep, I'm with Kindlelicious. While things might be familiar, it's a whole world created by Stacia Kane -- with it's own history and dialect.

message 15: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea (vampirebookclub) | 11 comments Regina, the drug use is a part of the lead character, but not all of her. The books are FAR from advocating drug use, in fact, it's quite the opposite.

Some of it is shocking, sure, but I found it gave an added layer of depth. It helps us better understand the world she's in and understand Chess' view. Plus, it forces her to make hard choices as the novels progress.

In a word, I was fine with it.

message 16: by Steph, Serious series addict (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29056 comments Kindlelicious wrote: "The city is not real, it's called Triumph City (I think?)so I think it would count, and the Downside (a part of the city) would definitely count."

WooHoo! Thanks, Kindlelicious and Chelsea! I'm usin' it! :D

message 17: by Kindlelicious (new)

Kindlelicious | 39 comments The drug use is part of who Chess is, the plot sort of revolves around it, as her involvement with drug dealers is what gets her into trouble. Honestly, the book would not have been the same without the drugs. To me, what made the book great is all the emotions it envokes. I wanted to KILL Chess for some of the awful drug-related decisions she made, but my heart also ached for her because of her reliance on the drugs to dull the pain of her past.

message 18: by Kindlelicious (new)

Kindlelicious | 39 comments Also, the book is set in a world where an apocalypse of sorts was brought about by ghosts. If this happened in real life, there would be so many children who grew up without parents (or even witnessed their horrible deaths), like Chess, and would probably turn to drugs to dull the pain of whatever they experienced in the system. So for me, it made perfect sense.

message 19: by Lara (new)

Lara (elbe) | 14 comments Two books in and I am lovin this series already!!

And the not-so-good-looking, but still somehow oh so mmm mmm mmm lead.....Terrible??? I don't know how she did it, but Kane has created a not-so-hot hottie that has been closely rivaling my #1 spot for yummiest lead male - which has been held by a Mr. Jericho Barrons (Fever Fans) for quite some time now. The Scene in Unholy Magic (book 2), after their fallout, when she's drawing the protection sigilis on him....yeaaaaah, I think I came close to beating some sort of breath holding record.

Those that are concerned about the drug relevance in this series - the way I see it is when you read the books and find out what the world has become and how these people live and the way the kids grow up.......well, unfortunately the drug-use is pretty realistic - it is streetlife so to speak. Chess is a girl who has led a lonely and hard life and deals with it all in a way that can cause as much or more issues as it does to ease them. She's still an ars-kicking heroine, but one with a different kind of personal issue you route for her to overcome. I had more issues with the "Downside Speak" throughout the book. It took a bit getting used to, aye. :)

message 20: by Steph, Serious series addict (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29056 comments I just finished book #1 and definitely agree with you both, Kindlelicious and Lara, re: Chess' drug use/abuse. You said it perfectly though Lara "Chess is a girl who has led a lonely and hard life and deals with it all in a way that can cause as much or more issues as it does to ease them."

And, Terrible. The not-so-hot hottie?! Yep! How'd that happen? LOL! As I haven't gotten to book #2 yet, I can't yet comment on the scene you mentioned. But, in #1 when she's on the V and they're in the alley. . . Ah, poor Terrible.

Anyway, thanks for the rec, I really enjoyed the book and look forward to continuing with the series. :)

message 21: by Lara (new)

Lara (elbe) | 14 comments Steph - start book 2 asap :)!!!

message 22: by Steph, Serious series addict (last edited Jul 26, 2010 07:47PM) (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29056 comments I will not fold under peer pressure! I will not fold under peer pressure! LOL! :)

message 23: by Kindlelicious (new)

Kindlelicious | 39 comments It's City of Ghosts Release Day!!! Hooray!! Now I need to escape from work and get to reading!

message 24: by Laura Lulu (new)

Laura Lulu (lauralulu) | 1603 comments I'm reading them all next month--5 more days. :)

message 25: by Steph, Serious series addict (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29056 comments I have no doubt that I'll work #2+ into an upcoming challenge here shortly.

Let us know how good the newest release is, Kindlelicious! :)

message 26: by Kindlelicious (new)

Kindlelicious | 39 comments I am only 80% right now, but my God these books are good. This one takes a turn into the horror realm with some pretty scary scenes, but what is SO great about Stacia Kane is one minute Chess is being attacked by...really scary creatures and the next minute you are back swooning over Terrible. They are just emotional roller coasters from start to finish!

message 27: by Steph, Serious series addict (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29056 comments Sounds great, K! I'm glad you're liking it. I love horror, so it'll be nice to have some of that mixed in.

message 28: by Regina (new)

Regina (reginar) | 2883 comments I just finished Unholy Ghosts (Downside Ghosts, #1) by Stacia Kane and am about to pick up Unholy Magic (Downside Ghosts, #2) by Stacia Kane from the library.

The scene between Terrible and Cesaria (love that name) at the club when she is on the drugs (lol, okay the V -- cuz she is always on drugs), so passionate and then so sad. Kane wrote this scene so well. I read it several times. I may actually buy this series (have been reading from the library) b/c I want to reread parts.

I saw on her website that #4 won't be out until 2011 and #5 not until 2012. :( Anyone read #3 City of Ghosts (Chess Putnam, Book 3) by Stacia Kane ? Does it end with a cliffhanger?

Terrible is very appealing. Kane really plays on our images and preconceptions. There is Lex and Doyle. Both physically attractive men -- but they are both users and want something from Chess. And contrary to the typical archetype in UF and PNR -- it isn't the goodlooking guy who she should end with. Then there is Terrible. He is violent, he is not attractive. And Chess, let's be honest, can be really ugly inside -- when she firsts talks to Terrible at the beginning of the novel she makes fun of his ability (or inability so she thinks) to get women. Not very nice. She only starts to think of him as sexual when she sees him with another woman. Chess can be hard to like, but in a way I can see some of all my bad choices mixed in to her. I was never a drug user or a junkie, but when I was younger and single I did not always make the right/best choices and sometimes I was not so nice to men who were interested in me ...... anyway, it is refreshing to read a book about with a protaganist that is real, she isn't perfect. Even characters that are not perfect -- are not perfect in predictable ways -- like Mac in the Fever series or Anita Blake -- they annoy people and have rude mouths. Chess is not perfect in a very human and realistic way.

message 29: by Steph, Serious series addict (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29056 comments Fantastic review, Regina! :) I haven't read 2 or 3, so I can't answer about the possibility of cliffhangers.

message 30: by Kindlelicious (new)

Kindlelicious | 39 comments No, the ending of City of Ghosts is very satisfying. No cliffhangers, thank god.

message 31: by Steph, Serious series addict (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29056 comments :D Good, that means I can read it without waiting for closer to the next book's rls.

message 32: by Regina (new)

Regina (reginar) | 2883 comments I just read THE scene last night. I am about 80% finished with the book. I am impressed with how well Kane wrote that scene -- it was so painful, so realistic. I can see how Chess's bad choices (but not wanting to intentionally hurt anyone) led to the painful encounter. Poor Terrible and poor Chess. I am hoping from something positive to come between the two of them before the end of the book??? At least I have City of Magic to read when I am done. Kane is brilliant at writing this emotionally difficult and awkward scenes!

I am liking this series more and more. The drug use by Chess and Kane's description of Chess's constant need, constant thinking about her next fix and the withdrawal when she doesn't get what she "needs" -- well Kane is amazing.

message 33: by Mrs. (new)

Mrs. Badass (mrsbadass) | 4 comments I was one that was originally upset by the drug use. I had an ARC of Unholy ghosts back before it was released. It was a personal issue b/c I have family members addicted, and one no longer can walk or feed himself (overdose, coma etc) But after i thought about the book, I realized it was a fantastic read/world. I then read the second one and was blown away =) The third one, was so captivating and emotional. There were many times I teared up. Kane can write emotion that's for sure.

message 34: by Mrs. (new)

Mrs. Badass (mrsbadass) | 4 comments God Regina, THAT scene cuts right to the bone. I was pissed and sad and drained and distraught right along with Chess and Terrible.

You'll have to read City of Ghosts for more Chess and Terrible >.<

message 35: by Regina (new)

Regina (reginar) | 2883 comments I wouldn't read it Erika b/c of the drug use. I don't think you are alone. But my opinion has changed. The drug use is an important part of Chess, it shapes the story. I really like how Kane writes it, the consequences of Chess's drug use are obviously very negative in her life and her reasons for self-medicating are so painful -- but understandable.

The scene in the cemetary between Lex, Terrible and Chess -- wow. I feel like I lived it, Kane wrote it so well.

message 36: by Regina (new)

Regina (reginar) | 2883 comments I already downloaded City of Ghosts -- despite my long TBR list and already owned books -- as soon as I finish UG, I am moving on to City of Ghosts. :)

message 37: by Mrs. (new)

Mrs. Badass (mrsbadass) | 4 comments I did the same thing. I put down what I was reading when COG came out, downloaded it and immediately devoured it in one sitting

message 38: by Regina (new)

Regina (reginar) | 2883 comments What an amazing ride. I love love loved City of Ghosts. So sorry it is over.

I was so impressed with Lex! What a shock. Fall 2011?!!! I can't wait that long. The last time I felt this hungry for a sequel was when I finished Dreamfever.

message 39: by Lara (new)

Lara (elbe) | 14 comments Loved how COG ended!! I hate this waiting for a year for your next installment to come out. I wonder what is in store for them next. Y'all think there is going to be something wrong with T and that sigil she carved in his chest to save his life???? I don't think I can handle another "Dimitiri and Rose-like" situation - lol.

message 40: by Steph, Serious series addict (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29056 comments ::don't look::don't look:: LOL!

message 41: by Regina (new)

Regina (reginar) | 2883 comments I just saw that there are now 6 books in this series planned! http://www.staciakane.net/faq/

message 42: by Steph, Serious series addict (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29056 comments Yay! Thanks for sharing the news.

message 43: by Steph, Serious series addict (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29056 comments Downside Market is now open!

message 44: by Steph, Serious series addict (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29056 comments Some deleted scenes from Downside Ghosts found on Stacia's site.

message 45: by Steph, Serious series addict (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29056 comments She also shared a Sacrificial Magic with Dark Faerie Tales.
Rls: 27 Mar 2012

(view spoiler)

Excerpt blocked strictly b/c of its length. Per DFT, "the excerpt is from Chapter Two, so there’s not really much set up involved. It’s just Chess meeting Terrible at Trickster’s after she finishes work. So, I'm assuming no spoilers. But, as always, read at your own risk. ;)

message 46: by Judithe, Soap Operas never end.... (new)

Judithe | 6408 comments :D

But six more months...sigh.

message 47: by Steph, Serious series addict (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29056 comments :) Have you seen the cover for the next one? It was revealed today.

SM

Even though it does look a bit similar to Mancusi's Soul Bound (Blood Coven, #7) by Mari Mancusi

message 48: by Judithe, Soap Operas never end.... (new)

Judithe | 6408 comments Yeah, I just saw that! (and you're right about the similarity~but really like the tattoo!)

message 49: by Steph, Serious series addict (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29056 comments Me too. I think it looks good.

message 50: by Marsha (new)

Marsha | 14 comments I absolutely love this series too. It took me a bit to get into the first one because of the drug use and the 'world'. But, I kept reading and it was absolutely worth the ride. I raced through all three books in a very short amount of time and I can't believe how long I have to wait for the next one! UGH! I love Chess, she's real, she's complex. Terrible? It is amazing how someone who's not 'all that' can be ALL THAT! One thing I also liked was that just because their grammar wasn't perfect (or even average), they were still intelligent and quick minded. I will be waiting (impatiently) for the next installment! Go Terrible!

« previous 1 3