SA Book & Challenge Lovers discussion

Other Discussions & Chats > Bloggings tools and ideas

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith Let us know if you have any ideas for what to blog about, or if there's something you'd like to read a blog about.

You can also lend a hand to all those aspiring writers with tips and tools for blogging.

message 2: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith These two cool sites can help out with your blog:

www.sxc.hu - Stock Exchange, a free image site, to decorate your blog and illustrate posts.

www.plinky.com - Don't know what to blog about? Subscribe to Plinky for daily writing prompts. You can just post entries on the Plinky site, but you can also link it to your blog so that your entries are posted there too.

message 3: by Emma (new)

Emma (emmauk007) | 1081 comments I had a bit of a problem on Blogger today so thought I would give everyone a heads-up incase they in the future had the same issue.

If you are like me and save your reviews to word then you try and copy/paste into the post, you will get an error message saying: Post was not saved due to form errors.

When you paste from another application like Word, you will also bring in Word formatting tags and the blog application will not like this. If you do cut / paste from Word you will need to go into the edit HTML tab and remove all formatting tags for safe measure. Then you have to format your blog using the formatting function within the blog application.

The easiest way to solve the problem though, is to cut and paste your text from Word to Notepad, and change the format to Arial and text size 12.

This will solve the problem.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Hey guys thanks for the tips

BUT I NEED SERIOUS HELP!
My blog is very boring and I dont know what to do to make it better :(
Help me please? I only have two followers... how depressing is that! (thanks Emma and Lu :))

I'm up for ANY ideas, just explain to me how to do it, as thats my biggest problem, I dont always know how to...

message 5: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith I also only have two followers :( Been very lazy with posting though...

Anyway, as a start, link your blog on your Goodreads profile and your Facebook profile. If you like, write a Facebook status about it too. That will help drive some traffic to your site.

Click on the two links in my first post. The first site has free pictures you can use to spruce up your blog and illustrate your articles.

The second site, Plinky, gives you little writing prompts every day. Some are more personal, eg. What would you say to your 16-year old self? Describe the worst teacher your ever had. What movie always makes you cry?

Others are more like writing exercises: Write a poem using only words that start with 's'. Describe the place where you live as if it were a setting for a book.

Plinky came up in the Wordpress news/tools, and a lot of people started using their answers to blog.

Otherwise, why don't you try making lists? You love fiction about royalty - why not write a blog about your top ten royalty novels and why you like them? Then you could link it in your Goodreads group about royalty :)

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks Lauren!
By the way, I tried to be a follower, I have no idea if I got it right, but yours is a bit different.

Send me your blog address again?
I'm going to try some of your ideas!!!!!!

message 7: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith Mine is http://violininavoid.wordpress.com/

There's an email subscription, just fill in your address :) Thanks!

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Keep thumbs it works! My internet is up and down today!!!!! :)

message 9: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith I haven't gotten a notification of any new subscriptions yet...
Subscribed to yours :)

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks Lauren

Ok so do I just fill in my email address?
Any address?

message 11: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith Your email address. Work or personal, depends on where you want to get notifications of new posts.

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

Cool, i'm busy with it now :)

message 13: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12655 comments Mod
The best tip i can give is meme's!!

Follow Friday is the best one. You follow a blog you like and tell them you are following them on their follow friday post and they will most likely follow you.

There are tons of awesome meme's that make people aware of your blog!

But i must say i have gotten around 65 follower in a few days with my giveaway!

Blogging is networking and sucking up to other people it seems. Until you make a name for yourself and people will come without you going wild trying to find followers

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

I've got this follow friday thing on but I dont know how it works. I've had it for a while and still no followers...

But how does your giveaway work Lu? I'd love to do something like that :)

message 15: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12655 comments Mod
Well you have to add yourself on the Follow Friday Hosts site. You fill in the "linky" and everyone that participates can see that you also participates!

Well giveaway is relatively simple. I decided on books to giveaway and then make my rules, make my form and there we go :)

BookDepositry is the best as its cheap and sends internationally!

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

Ok and how do I set up a form?
BookDepositry???

message 17: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith www.bookdepository.com

I've heard many many good things about this site on various book boards and Lu and Crusader finally convinced me to check it out.

I am now going to get all my new books there! It's a great site, the books are very reasonably priced, and they do free delivery world-wide. I set up a wishlist for now, will buy some new books once I've worked through a few of the ones I own. Or when my willpower runs out.

message 18: by Crusader (new)

Crusader (crusaderza) | 2453 comments Mod
Lauren wrote: "www.bookdepository.com

I've heard many many good things about this site on various book boards and Lu and Crusader finally convinced me to check it out.

I am now going to get all my new books the..."

Beware! That way is the road to bankruptcy... (just so I can say you were warned).

message 19: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith I know...

But my books will console me in poverty.

message 20: by Lu (last edited Sep 03, 2010 11:41AM) (new)

Lu | 12655 comments Mod
hahahaha

message 21: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith Here's a nice little article from Wordpress about comment etiquette http://en.blog.wordpress.com/2011/02/...