No Country for Old Men No Country for Old Men discussion

the dream...

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Alex Anyone have any thoughts as to the significance of Sheriff Bell's dream at the end of the book?

I thought there might be a connection to the "carrying on the fire" idea that was in "The Road"? What was McCarthy getting at?

Joey Beatty There is a great connection. A McCarthian concept articulated in these books as well as in many others, maybe in subtler forms. But these books both present a desperate world in which one might find it much easier to succumb and surrender to the darkness rather than fight on through it. Carrying the fire is very overtly and beautifully symbolic of the characters remaining strong in a seemingly helpless void of darkness where the world they thought they knew once existed. Nothing is hopeless.

Sarah Wow, I'm surprised others have not commented. I would have to reread, but that ay be one of the most "important" lines of the book. Excellent question.

Chris Campion Joey wrote: "There is a great connection. A McCarthian concept articulated in these books as well as in many others, maybe in subtler forms. But these books both present a desperate world in which one might fin..."

Couldn't have said it better myself.

I loved the last line of the book. It's as if you (the reader) wakes up too. As if you (and the sheriff) can finally face the reality of the world. One of my favs.