Terminalcoffee discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Feeling Nostalgic? The archives > Have you ever "faked" reading?

Comments Showing 1-44 of 44 (44 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Have you ever "faked" reading? This could come in a couple of forms...

1. Pretending you read a book you hadn't to impress someone
2. Actually pretending to read a book, at that very moment, for whatever reason.
3. Something other way of which I'm not thinking.

I've done 1, I must admit, in my youth. I can't think of a specific example yet. Let me walk the dogs (that's a literal, not metaphorical, phrase, although I'm not what the metaphor would mean) and post later. But you? Confess!

message 2: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments is this going to turn into a new reading positions thread?

message 3: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Have you ever faked walking the dogs? My guess is the dogs would not stand for such nonsense.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Larry wrote: "Have you ever faked walking the dogs? My guess is the dogs would not stand for such nonsense."

That could get messy.

message 5: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (gussanchez) I always pretend to be reading something, so that people would leave me the hell alone.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

::walks over next to Gus::

"Hey Gus whatcha doing? Oh, reading huh, is it good? what's it about? Does it have pictures? Would you recommend it? Does it have 'big' words in it? Gee I hope that I'm not bothering you, just saw that you were reading, and was interested in what that might be."

::slowly walks away after being completely ignored::

message 7: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (gussanchez) ::slaps Jim with my hardcover copy of Infinite Jest::

;-p

message 8: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments I wrote a fair number of essays on books that I have skimmed or opened to random points. It's a gift.

message 9: by Heidi (last edited Jul 13, 2010 09:21AM) (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments I'll pretend I'm reading sometimes when I'm at the pool. Also, I'll pretend I'm reading when I'm at a restaurant alone. Although, I'm sort of almost really reading. I might actually get in a half page, but I get distracted pretty easily.

I just don't want people bugging me. Sometimes I'll pretend I'm deaf, too (it's only a half lie - I have "significant hearing loss" in my left ear because of scar tissue from my ear drum rupturing). :)

message 10: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17338 comments Mod
Sarah Pi wrote: "I wrote a fair number of essays on books that I have skimmed or opened to random points. It's a gift."

Where is that "like" button again?

message 11: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11669 comments RandomAnthony wrote: "Have you ever "faked" reading? This could come in a couple of forms...

1. Pretending you read a book you hadn't to impress someone
2. Actually pretending to read a book, at that very moment, f..."

Dude, #2 is called "a day in school."

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments I used to do the opposite - pretended to be paying attention to, say, the teacher in class, but I was really reading the book hidden in my desk.

There are some meetings I have to to to these days where I wish I could get away with that, still. :)

message 13: by Brittomart (last edited Jul 13, 2010 11:17AM) (new)

Brittomart Does skimming a book or a chapter moments before we're about to be quizzed on it count?

'cause I've done that several times and it's worked. Hooray for short term memory!

message 14: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Lobstergirl | 24286 comments Mod
I've never seriously faked it. The only thing that comes close is if I'm in a public place, like a subway train, and I notice someone giving me a hard stare or really checking me out, and it's unwanted attention, I'll focus extremely hard on my book. So hard that my eyes glaze over with concentration and I realize I've read the same passage 14 times.

message 15: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments I do that at the doctor, but it's not faking. My eyes aren't seeing the words I'm concentrating so hard on not seeing the needle.

message 16: by Ali (new)

Ali (alike) I fake reading on the bus or in a café if I'm eavesdropping on someone's conversation.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments I hate when I'm trying to read on the bus, and can't because someone is talking so loudly I can't ignore them.
Cell phone talkers are especially bad that way. >:(

message 18: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Do you say something, or give dirty looks, or just try to ignore them?

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Sarah, usually I just ignore them, because they don't go on too long.

But this one woman just was impossible! I glared, to no avail, then stuck my fingers in my ears and hunkered down and tried to ignore her.

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

How did you turn the pages with your fingers in your ears? :-)

message 21: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Lobstergirl | 24286 comments Mod
Ipods can help...I never get on public transportation without one.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Jim "In dreams we enter a world entirely our own" wrote: "How did you turn the pages with your fingers in your ears? :-)"

Elbows, Jim. :)

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

Jackie "the Librarian" wrote: "Jim "In dreams we enter a world entirely our own" wrote: "How did you turn the pages with your fingers in your ears? :-)"

Elbows, Jim. :)"

How do you lick your elbows so the pages don't slip? :-)

message 24: by Sally, la reina (new)

Jackie has a tongue like Gene Simmons.

message 25: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Sally wrote: "Jackie has a tongue like Gene Simmons."

He's so gross.

message 26: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Maybe Sally meant Jean Simmons?

I'd rather think about just about anyone's tongue than Gene Simmons'.

message 27: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Most definitely.

message 28: by Sally, la reina (new)

Shoot. I knew I'd guess the wrong one. You guys KNOW who I mean.

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

I think you hit the right one Sally, just no one appears to like that one.

message 30: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments No, you got it right.

This tongue would work too:
[image error]

message 31: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven)

message 32: by smetchie (new)

smetchie | 4034 comments I love giraffes. They're so neat.

message 33: by smetchie (new)

smetchie | 4034 comments I fake reading TC threads.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Yes, I have a giraffe lick my elbows for me before I turn pages. :)

message 35: by smetchie (new)

smetchie | 4034 comments lucky

message 36: by [deleted user] (last edited Jul 13, 2010 02:25PM) (new)

Jackie "the Librarian" wrote: "Yes, I have a giraffe lick my elbows for me before I turn pages. :)"

You expect me to fall for that?

ETA: How do you get the giraffe on the bus? How do they hold onto the rail to keep from tipping over? I think you're fibbing me.

message 37: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Jackie never tells an untruth, Jim.

message 38: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Isn't that what double decker buses are for? And sunroofs? To bring your giraffe?

message 39: by Sally, la reina (new)

Hm. I came here to say that I'm faking reading this thread right now.

But I just can't help reading a comment above a giraffe driving a VW mini bus.
Why, 4.13? Why?

:scuffs toe in dirt. Goes back to message 25:

message 40: by Sally, la reina (new)

Are we saying that Jackie literally has a tongue like a jungle animal who needs to lick bark to survive...or that she's figuratively a really good licker?

What happened to Gene Simmons?
::looks under ficus::

message 41: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven)

message 42: by Sally, la reina (new)

Which is it?

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments We're saying I have a pet giraffe that I take on the bus with me, Sally.

message 44: by Sally, la reina (new)

Oh, that's good and PG. Thank you. I was getting uncomfortable.

And it makes MUCH more sense.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.