What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Adult Murder Mystery with Weird/Funny Notice in Elevator; read in 1997 or 1998

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rasheed (new)

Rasheed (rasheed12824) | 24 comments I think this was a murder mystery novel the only thing about which I remember is "that damn elevator" with a ridiculous notice which didn't make sense and pissed off the main character every time he entered it.

This was one of the very first novels I borrowed from our city library.

message 2: by Kristina Marie (new)

Kristina Marie | 137 comments The Westing Game was a murder mystery and there is a point when everyone is posting weird notices in the elevator. However, the main character is a girl called Turtle.

Is the book you read meant for children or adults?

message 3: by Rasheed (last edited Jul 13, 2010 02:47PM) (new)

Rasheed (rasheed12824) | 24 comments Thanks for the reply.

It was intended for adults, and the notice was from the elevator company stating the maximum occupancy... but in an extremely confounding way!

message 4: by M— (new)

M— | 379 comments The only book I can think of is Mr. Perfect, a 2000 thriller/suspense/romance, but it's not a good match for a lot of the OP details. I think the notices were outside the elevator, visible as soon as the doors opened, and the notices were funny rather than ridiculous, the pranky sort saying something along the lines of 'the beatings will continue until moral improves' -- which probably had been very amusing at the time the book published, although more cliche now.

And the main character was female.

message 5: by Rasheed (last edited Jul 14, 2010 02:21PM) (new)

Rasheed (rasheed12824) | 24 comments Thanks for your reply. The main character in the story I'm referring to is a male detective, and I read it in 1997 or 1998.

message 6: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 39583 comments Mod
Any idea what country this was set in? And if it was part of a series?

message 7: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl  (cherylllr) Rasheed's profile is hidden, but I was able to send PM and link. However, three years old... I feel pessimistic.

message 8: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6967 comments Mod
I don't think it's been quite long enough, so I'll bump this up, and the next mod to check this out can move it to Abandoned I guess.

message 9: by Rasheed (last edited Aug 15, 2013 03:00AM) (new)

Rasheed (rasheed12824) | 24 comments Lobstergirl wrote: "Any idea what country this was set in? And if it was part of a series?"

Sorry but I didnt notice if it was in any particular country or if it was part of a series.

Cheryl in CC NV wrote: "Rasheed's profile is hidden, but I was able to send PM and link. However, three years old... I feel pessimistic."

Thanks but no need. An automatic notification was sent to me when Lobstergril replied.

message 10: by Kris (new)

Kris | 35346 comments Mod
Just a guess - The Missing Chapter by Robert Goldsborough? The detective is Nero Wolfe and I've seen a reference to a broken elevator.

message 11: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl  (cherylllr) (I'm glad you saw the notification - you'd be surprised how many people ignore them or how often they get sent to the spam folder. :)

message 12: by Fullfaun (new)

Fullfaun Faun well I am going to put both books on my TO READ list. They sound funny and I need some funny in my life.

message 13: by Rasheed (new)

Rasheed (rasheed12824) | 24 comments Kris wrote: "Just a guess - The Missing Chapter by Robert Goldsborough? The detective is Nero Wolfe and I've seen a reference to a broken elevator."

Thanks but I dont think it's this because that elevator was working but the notice about the maximum occupancy always confounded the detective.

message 14: by Rasheed (last edited Aug 15, 2013 08:50PM) (new)

Rasheed (rasheed12824) | 24 comments Fullfaun wrote: "well I am going to put both books on my TO READ list. They sound funny and I need some funny in my life."

Well, at least some good came out of this even if its still unresolved.

BTW, if you want a really hilarious laugh-out-loud mystery/detective story, I'd recommend The Time Machine Did It but it's best not read the review as some of them contain unexpected and unannounced spoilers.

message 15: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Was the elevator at his place of business, or the police precinct, or whatever?

message 16: by Rasheed (new)

Rasheed (rasheed12824) | 24 comments Lobstergirl wrote: "Was the elevator at his place of business, or the police precinct, or whatever?"

I think the detective always had to take it to go to the suspect/bad guy, but it was definitely not at his work.

message 17: by laurenpie (new)

laurenpie | 131 comments "The Yiddish Policeman's Union" by Michael Chabon has an early reference to a unique elevator sign (in Esperanto), though it's more of an oddity than an irritation, and not about maximum occupancy. It's in the shabby hotel the detective lives in, the Zamenhof.

message 18: by Rasheed (new)

Rasheed (rasheed12824) | 24 comments laurenpie wrote: ""The Yiddish Policeman's Union" by Michael Chabon has an early reference to a unique elevator sign (in Esperanto), though it's more of an oddity than an irritation, and not about maximum occupancy...."

Thanks but that's not it as it wasnt published that time.

message 19: by Carol (new)

Carol Clifford (virgoroses18) | 21 comments I'm not sure when you read this but it made me think of 77 Shadow Street I;m not sure if it's the book you're looking for but I think there was a moment when they said something about the elevator. It's a horror/mystery book and the main character is of some importance I think.

message 20: by Rasheed (last edited Aug 06, 2014 12:27PM) (new)

Rasheed (rasheed12824) | 24 comments Thanks. Interesting find but this is not it. It was crime/detective/mystery fiction. No horror I can remember.

message 21: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl  (cherylllr) Here's a free 'bump' for fall. Come back in a few months to bump again, ok? Otherwise, as we do housekeeping on threads we might conclude that this thread has been 'abandoned' and move it to the Abandoned folder.

message 22: by Arielle (new)

Arielle Masters | 252 comments bumping

message 23: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Rasheed, are you still looking for this or did you find it?

message 24: by Rasheed (new)

Rasheed (rasheed12824) | 24 comments Didn't find : ( still looking