Young Adult Fiction for Adults discussion

Recommendations > Mystery Book for 7th Graders

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (amandaes) | 1 comments I teach 7th grade ELA and am currently in search of a good mystery novel for the class. I would prefer it be less fantasy-like, and more centered on some sort of mystery that has to be solved. Does anyone have any suggestions?

message 2: by Jenny (last edited Jul 11, 2010 03:58PM) (new)

Jenny (narcisse) In middle school we read Agatha Christie stuff like Murder on the Orient Express or And Then There Were None.

We also read some Lois Duncan such as Killing Mr. Griffin which they might better relate to since it's teenagers. That particular one is more thriller or suspense than mystery though.

John Grisham started writing some YA books about a kid lawyer named Theodore Boone, but I'm not sure how good or mysterious it is and it's been getting mixed reviews from what I can tell: Theodore Boone, Kid Lawyer

I read an ARC of All Unquiet Things not that long ago and it was pretty good, about two teenagers who try to solve their friend's murder.

Paper Towns I haven't read yet, but I love John Green and that one involves a girl who vanishes.

Here is a list of the Edgar Allan Poe Award Winners for Best Young Adult Mystery Novel: http://www.mcpl.lib.mo.us/readers/awa...
You probably can't go wrong with many of those.

message 3: by Becca (new)

Becca | 1608 comments My most favorite mystery of all time was one I read right around seventh grade. From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs Basil E. Frankweiler Love love love this book.

Or you could always do some of the classics like Nancy Drew, the Hardy Boys, or the Bobsey Twins. Those were all excellent mysteries, especially for a younger reading level.

message 4: by Heidi (new)

Heidi Here is a series of books The Case of the Missing Marquess (Enola Holmes Mysteries, #1) by Nancy Springer about Sherlock Holmes younger sister.

message 5: by Mary JL (new)

Mary JL (maryjl) | 43 comments I will second Lois Duncan--she wrote several good mysteries for young people. Besides Killing Mr. Griffith, she wrote I Know What you Did Last Summer.

Both would probably appeal to the class as the protagonits are teens.

However, if they are out of print, would you be able to get copies for everyone in the class?

Agatha Christie is a bit dated--but she is much easier to find used, as she wrote so many books. She would be a good second choice.

message 6: by Tanya (last edited Jul 17, 2010 06:31PM) (new)

Tanya Mac (yoyochkmeouthotmailcom) | 45 comments How about The Westing Game?

message 7: by Jen (new)

Jen | 55 comments A classic...The Undertaker's Gone Bananas by Paul Zindel! Mysterious, funny, gruesome - it was my favorite when I was in middle school - read it to my 7th grade students a few years ago and they ate it up...especially the end.

message 8: by Merideth (new)

Merideth | 1 comments Wanted by Caroline Cooney... the kids LOVE it!!! (As do I) :)))

message 9: by Christine (new)

Christine | 25 comments I would save Paper Towns until High School. There's nothing wrong with it. It is one of my favorites. But I think they will get more out of it later.

You might try Eye of the Crow (The Boy Sherlock Holmes, #1) by Shane Peacock Eye of the Crow by Shane Peacock (Young Sherlock Holmes)

The Clue of the Linoleum Lederhosen (M.T. Anderson's Thrilling Tales) by M.T. Anderson The Clue of the Linoleum Lederhosen

The Last TreasureThe Last Treasure by Janet Anderson