Short Story lovers discussion

Library of America stories

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tara (new)

Tara (goodreadscomtara_lynn_masih) I thought you fans of short stories might like to know about this free deal from Library of America. It's hard to keep up with every story, but you can sign up for free and get one story a week in your email box that they select from their classic files. This latest one is Sarah Orne Jewett's "Going to Shrewsbury." Might also be a good source for your weekly/monthly discussion of a story, if someone doesn't post one. Link: http://storyoftheweek.loa.org/2010/07...

message 2: by Joseph (last edited Jul 12, 2010 03:44PM) (new)

Joseph (jazzman) | 35 comments Thanks for the info, Tara.

BTW, has any writer out there found a way to get off Narrative's e-mail list. I'm a computer tyro , but I've tried everything. Nothing works. If I was a cynic(like I'm not!) I'd suspect Narrative wants it that way.

message 3: by Isaac (last edited Jul 12, 2010 06:07PM) (new)

Isaac Miller (isaac7985) Thank you, Tara. I'll definitely get some use out of that for my blog. I was happy to see "Charles" by Shirley Jackson was a previous selection. I love that story.
-Isaac
http://towerofstories.blogspot.com/

message 4: by Jeffrey (last edited Aug 14, 2010 05:28AM) (new)

Jeffrey (jawojo) | 4 comments Thanks Tara. I believe that I'll be looking at this site more often than not you made a good find. I also agree that this can also be a good source of stories for everyone to be able to access for monthly discussions.

message 5: by Jeffrey (new)

Jeffrey (jawojo) | 4 comments I'm also game to discuss "Going to Shrewsbury" for next months discussion.

message 6: by Tara (new)

Tara (goodreadscomtara_lynn_masih) Good!

message 7: by Geoff (new)

Geoff Wyss | 171 comments Thanks, Tara. I agree that this would be a good source for the discussions. Does anyone know whose turn it is to choose? (I'm OK with "Shrewsbury" or any other.)

message 8: by jennifer (new)

jennifer (mascarawand) | 51 comments I don't know who's turn it is- I think we've dropped and picked up members since January. I'm okay with "Shrewsbury" also.

message 9: by Geoffrey (new)

Geoffrey | 132 comments Please, no hesitation. Let´s go for it and adopt Shrewsbury.

message 10: by Geoffrey (new)

Geoffrey | 132 comments Read Shrewsbury for the second time. There is no artifice in this story, nor any apparent literary techniques to analyze, decipher or ponder. The tale is a straightforward one, plain as a country pumpkin with no dressings.

message 11: by Chris (new)

Chris Antenen | 139 comments Me, too, Geoffrey, liked reading it, but oh how I wanted a story. Anyone think the fist person narrator was intruive?

message 12: by Geoffrey (new)

Geoffrey | 132 comments Not necessarily. I have to admit I find the extreme usage of the vernacular disconcerting. I´ve always had problems with reading Uncle Remus, Twain and Caldwell.
I thought the story needed to be longer. I wanted to know more about how well she had adjusted to living with her relatives and possibly have the author switch voices to clue us in.

The emphasis on the calculating relative was not overdone. His presence in the story was kept at a minimal when the author could have really rode a very tall horse on that issue.

The bit on the cat at the end was to reaffirm how caring and compassionate the narrator was. I would have also liked to have known more about her.

message 13: by jennifer (new)

jennifer (mascarawand) | 51 comments I discovered Jewett just about three years ago and my favorite from her so far is "Marsh Rosemary".
Like you, Geoffrey, I had trouble understanding Mrs Peet's end of the conversation, to the point where I wasn't sure what she was saying Isaac had done until further along in the story. I guess it's a combination of regional/outdated language that was confusing to me.
No, there wasn't a big pivotal moment in the story. Small ones, maybe. The old, frightened woman being left on a train platform or the moment when we finally meet Isaac and he delivers the bad news, couched in words that make it sound like he had done the woman a good service by throwing her off her farm.
I think the point of the story was that both the narrator and Mrs. Peet were caught off-guard by a change they never saw coming, and that while Mrs Peet tried to make the best of it, she wasn't able to survive the change. A matter of sink or swim, I guess.

message 14: by Kenny (new)

Kenny Chaffin (kennychaffin) | 149 comments Joseph wrote: "Thanks for the info, Tara.

BTW, has any writer out there found a way to get off Narrative's e-mail list. I'm a computer tyro , but I've tried everything. Nothing works. If I was a cynic(like..."

I agree, I initially subscribed because they seem to publish some great stories, but the constant barrage of email and contest krap has totally turned me off. Seems like they are just like every other contest - preying on writers.

Anyway, I was able to get off the list as far as I can tell by using their unsubscribe on their site, otherwise you have to block or designate as spam etc...

message 15: by Chris (new)

Chris Antenen | 139 comments I got off in an unusual way. I was spammed, hacked, whatever it's called and had to change my credit card number. That did it. I just didn't give them another. I don't recommend that method, but thought it was funny.