The Mystery, Crime, and Thriller Group discussion

Report for Duty > New from Chicago

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Vince (new)

Vince (vchile) | 163 comments Since you're currently reading the book I just started,thought I'd sit in. Has anyone seen the movie version of "...Dragon Tattoo"?
Some of my favorite mystery writers are Bruen,McDermid & Leonard. I try to be eclectic in my reading habits (I'll be reading some history after "Hornet's Nest"),but I"m always looking for new crime novels.

message 2: by Hayes, Co-Moderator (new)

Hayes (hayes13) | 2060 comments Mod
Hi Vince. Thanks for joining us. I'm sure you'll find far too many things to read here... my TBR is so out of control!

Don't forget to check out the Summer Theme Reads.

message 3: by Helen (last edited Jul 11, 2010 01:39AM) (new)

Helen | 19 comments Hi Vince ...

Welcome to the group.

I have seen the movie. I enjoyed it very much. It was mostly true to the book, however, the character list was slimmed down. It was perhaps a wee bit more violent than what I'm use to, however, being familiar with the book I knew what was going to happen. The island as depicted in the movie was just how I envisaged it from the book. Have you seen it or are you thinking of seeing it?

message 4: by Donna, Co-Moderator (new)

Donna | 2178 comments Mod
Welcome Vince, Lots of different discussions about all mystery genres here and they all seem to result in an increase to the TBR pile.

message 5: by Vince (new)

Vince (vchile) | 163 comments Helen,
Just bought the blu-ray; oddly enough my local Best Buy jumped the release date by a week. 2nd film just came out & the 3rd was already out in Europe. They were all made in one massive project. (I suppose if one has an all-regions DVD player there may be European copies available to import.) "Played with Fire" is only at one theater here in Chicago, so I may have to break down & get my lazy butt across town.

message 6: by Helen (new)

Helen | 19 comments Hope you enjoy it ..

I saw the first movie here in New Zealand late last year ....

You have inspired me to investigate how I can see the next two ..

message 7: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 444 comments A belated welcome, Vince. If you search around you will find a couple of threads about the movie of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. I did see it and loved it; agree with Helen's comments. I'd better get out soon to see "... Played with Fire" thanks for reminding me.

message 8: by Martha (new)

Martha (marthas48) Hi, Vince, & welcome!
I'm new, too, and enjoying all the posts. I loved the first book in the trilogy & look forward to reading the others & seeing the movies. Will have to rejoin Netflix I guess.

message 9: by Helen (new)

Helen | 19 comments I went last night to the "The Girl who Played with Fire" - I enjoyed it and ae looking forwad to number three - again I thought I already knew the scenes .... Larrsen did a great job in describing the settings ...

Only thing is I do think it highlighted how convienient and unneccessary it was to have the "Giant" who could feel no pain!

message 10: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 444 comments yeah, I guess you're right. I never thought twice about it in reading, it seems like in thrillers there is always some spectacular device created to make things tough.

I've got to get to this before it leaves the theater....

Helen wrote: "
Only thing is I do think it highlighted how convienient and unneccessary it was to have the "Giant" who could feel no pain! ..."

message 11: by Vince (last edited Aug 07, 2010 09:03AM) (new)

Vince (vchile) | 163 comments Thanks for the welcomes- c'mon over to "The girl who plays the Girl..." thread and join the discussion about the movies.It's under the "In the Press..." heading. Just remember to announce "Spoiler Alerts"- we haven't all seen both films.