David McCullough Fans discussion

Which books have you read?

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Laura (new)

Laura (lauraeleanor) I'm a huge fan of McCullough. I've only read John Adams, Mornings on Horseback, and 1776. John Adams is my favorite. You?

message 2: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 4 comments I'm embarrassed to say I've only read John Adams, but the good news is I have all those other books to look forward too. And he says in "Painting with Words" that he has ideas for 27 more books! He just hopes he lives long enough. I'd love to be able to hear him speak someday.

message 3: by Laura (new)

Laura (lauraeleanor) Well, I've only read two more.

27!?!?! Wow. That's amazing. I hope that I can hear him speak as well. I've searched, since my parents said they would take me to see him, but I can't find any events.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 3 comments I've read Mornings on Horseback, John Adams, Truman, and 1776.

And The Great Bridge is on my bedside table as I write; it is my current non-fiction.

message 5: by Laura (new)

Laura (lauraeleanor) I just got Truman out of the library. I hope to finish it before school starts in August.

Ooo... The Great Bridge is really intriguing. I'd love to read it.

message 6: by Nathaniel (new)

Nathaniel (nathaniel_bordy) | 1 comments I am reading all of his books this year (in the order that they were written). I'm getting ready to start Truman soon. I've created a list named "Daivd McCullough" where people can vote on which books are their favorites. I can't choose untill I finish them all. Everyone should vote on the list. I'm really curious which book will get the highest votes.

message 7: by Dave (new)

Dave (dave158552) | 2 comments I've read 1776 and The Johnstown Flood. I have John Adams and The Great Bridge but haven't gotten around to them yet.

message 8: by Laura (last edited Apr 15, 2009 03:52PM) (new)

Laura (lauraeleanor) Hi, Dave. Thanks for joining! John Adams is really my favorite, you should read it next!

message 9: by Dave (new)

Dave (dave158552) | 2 comments "Hi, Dave. Thanks for joining! John Adams is really my favorite, you should read it next!"

Thanks. I've heard alot of good things about the book and can't wait to get started.

message 10: by Michael (new)

Michael (readerman) | 3 comments I have read 3 Truman, Mornings on Horseback, and 1776. They are all great.

message 11: by Bill (new)

Bill (billyb935) | 1 comments Ive read three of his books 1776, Adams, Truman, and Mornings on Horseback. I really liked Truman and Mornings because I didnt know much about thier past lives. As a history teacher his books gave me great insight into those worlds.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 3 comments I read Johnstown Flood earlier this summer - very good, and oddly enough for McCullough, short! (Well, under 300 pages.)

message 13: by Tim (new)

Tim Weakley | 1 comments This year I was gifted with The Great Bridge The Epic Story of the Building of the Brooklyn Bridge and what a marvelous introduction to the author. I'm looking forward to reading the Adams book and maybe the Roosevelt book in 2010.

message 14: by Michele (new)

Michele Powers | 1 comments So far I've read 1776, Truman, John Adams, and The Johnstown Flood. Just ordered from the library the Brooklyn Bridge one. If I can I like to get them on CD and listen to them while driving to work and out and about. Squeezed in Truman and Johnstown Flood that way. My plan is to eventually read all of his books- they're terrific!

message 15: by Dan (last edited Feb 10, 2010 07:55AM) (new)

Dan Olson | 3 comments I've read or listened to all of McCullough's books. He is my favorite author, bar none. All of his books are intriguing thanks to the enormous research involved in preparation for writing. Another reason to enjoy McCullough's writings is due to his engaging writing style. He makes me feel like I'm actually present in the events of each book.

message 16: by Donny (new)

Donny | 2 comments I just completed Truman, and also have read Mornings on Horseback & Truman. The next McCullough book I read will probably be 1776.

message 17: by Dan (new)

Dan Olson | 3 comments Donny wrote: "I just completed Truman, and also have read Mornings on Horseback & Truman. The next McCullough book I read will probably be 1776. "

You surely won't be disappointed!

message 18: by Dan (new)

Dan Olson | 3 comments Donny wrote: "I just completed Truman, and also have read Mornings on Horseback & Truman. The next McCullough book I read will probably be 1776. "

You surely won't be disappointed!

message 19: by Donny (new)

Donny | 2 comments Dan wrote: "Donny wrote: "I just completed Truman, and also have read Mornings on Horseback & Truman. The next McCullough book I read will probably be 1776. "

You surely won't be disappointed! "

Great, I am looking forward to it. I just realized also read John Adams as well. Another great book.

message 20: by Kayti (new)

Kayti (kaytigrace22) | 1 comments I have only read 1776, but I am starting to read John Adams.

I heard him speak on April 29 (thursday), at the LDS Conference Center for "Celebrating Family History". It was so amazing!!!!!!

message 21: by Ilona (new)

Ilona (Bobosito) | 1 comments I read Truman, John Adams, Morning on Horseback, The Great Bridge. I love all of them. I am currently reading 1776. I heard him speak when he came to BYU. He is an amazing speaker.

message 22: by James (new)

James Rada Jr. (jimrada) | 2 comments I've read 1776, John Adams, The Johnstown Flood and The Path Between the Seas. I can't decide whether my favorite is 1776 or The Johnstown Flood. However, 1776 got me interested in writing narrative history, which I've been able to do for magazines and newspapers.

message 23: by Laura (new)

Laura (lauraeleanor) I still haven't read The Johnstown Flood...

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 3 comments Johnstown Flood is short (for him), but I really enjoyed it.

message 25: by Kyle (new)

Kyle East | 1 comments I am a HUGE David McCullough fan! I have read several of his books; 1776, John Adams, Pathway to the Seas, Mornings on Horseback, The Great Bridge, The Johnstown Flood... I'm on The Greater Journey right now. I can't put it down! He's a very gifted author.

message 26: by Michael (new)

Michael (readerman) | 3 comments Laura wrote: "I'm a huge fan of McCullough. I've only read John Adams, Mornings on Horseback, and 1776. John Adams is my favorite. You? "

I have read John Adams, Mornings on Horseback, 1776.
I enjoyed 1776

message 27: by Stephen (new)

Stephen | 1 comments john adams
truman
mornings on horseback
the great bridge

Truman being my favorite.....

message 28: by Na (new)

Na Crawford | 1 comments I've read John Adams, Truman, 1776, The Greater Journey, Mornings on Horseback, and Johnstown Flood. I would probably rank them in that order.

I'm about to read The Great Bridge and Path Between the Seas, and then that will be his whole collection!

message 29: by Thom (new)

Thom | 1 comments I've read them all. The Great Bridge, Truman, John Adams and Path Between the Seas are my favorites.

message 30: by Michael (new)

Michael (readerman) | 3 comments 1776, Mornings on Horseback, John Adams

message 31: by Brad (new)

Brad C | 2 comments I've only read John Adams and 1776, but I found them both excellent. I have several of his other works on my to-read list, though.

message 32: by Brad (new)

Brad C | 2 comments I just finished Truman.....excellent work which I would put at the same level as John Adams and 1776.