Knots and Crosses (Inspector Rebus, #1) Knots and Crosses discussion

Rebus

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Lucy This is the first Rebus book and it is well done. I really enjoyed how it was not gory and gross like many crime thrillers have become which make you feel uncomfortable about what you are reading and why you feel you need to read it!!

I think I'll try another.

Detsi Lucy wrote: "This is the first Rebus book and it is well done. I really enjoyed how it was not gory and gross like many crime thrillers have become which make you feel uncomfortable about what you are reading a..."

I have read all the Rebus books. Loved 'em. Rebus became real for me, I was so sorry when Rankin stopped writing them.

Terri I just 'discovered' the Rebus books a couple months ago, and am trying to read them all..from the library. There's a book of Rebus short stories, too. Enjoy them all.

Francesca Scopelliti One of my all time favourite detective series. just got into it a few months ago and I reading the entire series a a summer break! I'll be heart broken when I finish it

Duncan Macdonald I got the some of books from a friend,and read them but they were not in order.Now I have all of them so will be going back to the start and reading them all over again.

message 6: by Kerry (last edited Oct 15, 2012 03:10PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kerry Once you like Rebus, picking up the next title is like putting on a familiar old coat. I read 'Let It Bleed' first and then jumped back to read the series in order - I'm about 5 books in so far. This is one of the few that give Rebus's back story.

Shera The New Rebus and Fox book comes out Nov.9 in the UK.! (I ordered it from amazon.com uk)

I've been reading thebooks for 20 years and the character is very "real" to me. I've joined the Rankin-file book club here on goodreads and I'm waiting for some more members so we can discuss all the Rebus books

Matt Willis I picked this up after watching a documentary about Ian Rankin in Edinburgh.

I enjoyed the book but it didn't amaze me as I was hoping. Rebus and the other characters were well developed but I thought the plot was a little on the thin side. While it never lagged, it did seem to get to the conclusion (which was a little unsatisfactory) rather quickly and could have done with a little more 'meat on it's bones'. I did like the SAS back story (but it did give a big hint as to who the killer was).

I also didn't think that the city of Edinburgh was used to its maximum potential. I know how evocative the city is, but this didn't come through at all in the book which was a real missed opportunity.

All in all I enjoyed knots and crosses enough to pick up the second book, which I'm hoping will build on the good points of the first.

message 9: by Beverley (last edited Jan 08, 2013 09:13AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Beverley Jones I just jumped into the Rebus books with Black and Blue and really enjoyed it. The style of a book is a big factor for me and I was surprised how fresh and original it seemed for a 'crime procedural'. That'll teach me to be a bit snobby! :)Would recommend to people who think they 'don't like crime novels'. Going to start with the back catalogue now.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

Matt wrote: "I picked this up after watching a documentary about Ian Rankin in Edinburgh.

I enjoyed the book but it didn't amaze me as I was hoping. Rebus and the other characters were well developed but I th..."

These books really improve over the course of the series. When Rankin wrote this, he was a pretty new writer and he definitely matures with Rebus.

Beverley Jones I saw that documentary and that's what prompted me to give them a go. I was reassured to see Rankin starts his books with no actual idea where they're going or how they'll end.(Bit like how I write mine ;)) It obviously works for him. The documentary said Black and Blue was where Rebus found his stride, so maybe I'll work up from there instead!

message 12: by Matt (new) - rated it 3 stars

Matt Willis Michael wrote: "Matt wrote: "I picked this up after watching a documentary about Ian Rankin in Edinburgh.

I enjoyed the book but it didn't amaze me as I was hoping. Rebus and the other characters were well devel..."

Will definitely give some of the next ones a read then. I've found that true of the Wallander novels as well.

message 13: by Matt (new) - rated it 3 stars

Matt Willis Beverley wrote: "I saw that documentary and that's what prompted me to give them a go. I was reassured to see Rankin starts his books with no actual idea where they're going or how they'll end.(Bit like how I write..."

I was surprised at that, I thought there would be much more structure involved, but I'm not a writer. I was tempted to skip ahead to Black and Blue but then I wouldn't get all the references to the previous books.

message 14: by Bob (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bob After the first two Inspector Rebus novels, I can't shake the voice and image of Inspector Robbie Lewis from the BBC/PBS Masterpiece Mystery television series from my mind.

Denise This is probably the first Rebus I read, so I read all the rest that my Library has. Then I watched the re-runs on TV. Good Stuff

Sandy I have always found this series to be like Jo Nesbo's featuring Harry Hole. When I started each, I thought it was good, not great but there was enough there to keep me reading & now I'm addicted. These are two of my favourite characters & the latest books in both series ("Saints of the Shadow Bible" & "Police") are among the best for both authors. Wish they came out faster.