You Debate, We De Sharks discussion

Today's Issues > Physician-Assisted Suicide

Comments Showing 1-36 of 36 (36 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Girl4beluga (new)

Girl4beluga | 3193 comments Okay this is an interesting topic. What do you think of this form of active euthanasia? If a person is completely and hopelessly ill and will die should they have the right to request well.............Physician-Assisted Suicide? Or does this destroy the traditional role of a doctor?

Lynx ~ 10/1 Never Forgotten I think it's fine. I see no problem with it. If you were (I'm assuming) in pain, and knowing you would die soon, wouldn't you rather die at your request? And in a less painful way, and end your misery?

message 3: by Girl4beluga (new)

Girl4beluga | 3193 comments I don't know how I feel about it...........maybe because I can't see myself committing suicide. And if you are religious would this affect you in the after life?

Lynx ~ 10/1 Never Forgotten Ooooo..... now that is a tough question..... hm..... I'll have to think about that.....

message 5: by Girl4beluga (new)

Girl4beluga | 3193 comments isn't suicide often thought as un-forgivable and selfish.

message 6: by Daisy (new)

Daisy But why? You're going to die anyway. Plus, your family would all get to say goodbye and you could end on good terms. No heartbreak over "That last thing I said to her was that she was horrible!!"

message 7: by Lynx ~ 10/1 Never Forgotten (last edited Jul 10, 2010 04:20PM) (new)

Lynx ~ 10/1 Never Forgotten I think that if you are already dying, and just speeding up the process, it's fine. As long as you are in extreme pain. It's no different then your family pulling the plug, except now you get to make the decision.

message 8: by Girl4beluga (new)

Girl4beluga | 3193 comments But would it be morally right??? Especially if you are religious....how would this affect the views on what doctors are expose to be doing????

Lynx ~ 10/1 Never Forgotten Um. Like I said, if you were in extreme pain, and going to die soon anyway, then yes. I think it is morally right.

message 10: by Daisy (new)

Daisy Doctors help. If you are in pain, and terminally ill not killing you when you want to be dead is failing their duties as a doctor.

message 11: by Girl4beluga (new)

Girl4beluga | 3193 comments could you ever see yourself having one????

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

a physician assisted suicide? maybe. if i was really really sick and there was no hope of recovery then possibaly yes.

message 13: by Daisy (new)

Daisy If I was terminally ill, yes.

message 14: by Emily (new)

Emily | 1422 comments Other animals aren't as intelligent as us.

And it's our body's natural instinct to keep living, that doesn't mean that's what going on in our brain. We can think, most animals don't "think" the same way we do.

message 15: by Girl4beluga (new)

Girl4beluga | 3193 comments Hey!!! Good to see you.

message 16: by Girl4beluga (new)

Girl4beluga | 3193 comments well................maybe they are just better at hiding it. ;-)

message 17: by Emily (new)

Emily | 1422 comments Girl4beluga wrote: "Hey!!! Good to see you."

Nice to see you too. ^^

message 18: by Emily (new)

Emily | 1422 comments Lindsay wrote: "Instinct is in our brain, not our body. And gorillas are 99.9% human, and they think almost the same way we do. But you don't see the gorillas committing suicide."

*Yawn* It may be "in our brain" but we don't think about doing what's instinctual, we just do it. :P

message 19: by Girl4beluga (new)

Girl4beluga | 3193 comments Lindsay wrote: "What do you mean 'hiding it'? You're either committing suicide or you're not."

well I am sure that when people jump of a bridge...............animals aren't coming up to feast on the free meal as much as in the wild.

message 20: by Girl4beluga (new)

Girl4beluga | 3193 comments How the hell would we know if gorillas commit suicide.....other species of animals do though.

message 21: by Emily (new)

Emily | 1422 comments Suicide has been observed in salmonella, a type of Brazillian ant who's name is slipping me, pea aphids, some termites can explode themselves, and there have been anecdotal reports of dogs, horses, and dolphins committing suicide, but little hard evidence.

*Bored with this*

People commit suicide after great tragedy, like in Romeo and Juliet, and in Othello, and blah blah blah. :P If someone I really loved died, I might resort to something like that.

message 22: by Girl4beluga (new)

Girl4beluga | 3193 comments you tired

message 23: by Emily (new)

Emily | 1422 comments Lindsay wrote: "well i personally think that suicide is one of the most selfish things a person can do. because it means that you have absolutely nothing left in your life anymore. it means that everything is unde..."

My mom honestly wouldn't care if I went an offed myself. My little brother would get over it after someone bought him a new Tonka Truck. My friends would miss me, yeah, but they'll get over it. Responsibilities? *Chokes on laughter* Wow I think you have me confused with someone else. *Yawn* Humans are more self-aware than any other animal, we have a more sophisticated thought process, sometimes suicide is brought on by mental illness, and gosh I'm bored with this.

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

but the thing is we arnt just talking about plain old suicide we are talking about if you are terminally ill and are going to die anyway then would you ask your docter/physician if they will end your life through the use of drugs or some other way that would be more peaceful for you and your family.

message 25: by Emily (new)

Emily | 1422 comments I'll make sure to tell her that next time I see her, thanks.

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

Lindsay wrote: "Well if you're so damn bored then move your ass to a different topic! because some of us get kind of sick of your complaints!
If your mom really doesn't care whether or not you DIE, then maybe SHE'..."

whoa there, lets chill out for a sec.

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

lol its okay, i dont like being bored either, and i dont like it when my frineds complain about being bored. i know how ya feel.

message 28: by Girl4beluga (new)

Girl4beluga | 3193 comments Air wrote: "I'll make sure to tell her that next time I see her, thanks."

Boy you just can't get a break can you????

message 29: by Emily (new)

Emily | 1422 comments Me, er...no. :P

message 30: by Girl4beluga (new)

Girl4beluga | 3193 comments lol.........sorry

message 31: by Emily (new)

Emily | 1422 comments Meh. *Shrugs*

message 32: by [deleted user] (new)

I don't have anything against these acts. It's not considered murder. Surely, if a person GIVES THEIR CONSENT, if a person WANTS this for themselves, then should they be denied ther right to an easy, less painfl exit? Should they be denied relief from whatever makes them want to die? That's really following the principle of torture.

When people are being tortured, the torturers just put them in pain (either mental or physical) until they want to die, but keep them alive so that they can feel it constantly.
Would it not be torture to keep somebody alive, to keep someone suffering even after they have personally requested to be put out of their misery, to be relieved of the pain?
If they want it, they should be able to get it

Rachel (aka. Kaiserin Sisi) (looney-lovegood) | 963 comments If a person is suicidal because they are chemically imbalanced, then we should do everything in our power to stop them. However, if a person is terminally ill and condemned to die a slow and painful death, then they should be given the option of having a quicker, painless/less painful (we can't really know which without being in the situation) way out.

Lynx ~ 10/1 Never Forgotten Yeah. I agree about the suicide. Nobody should kill themselves, just to rid themselves of their life, and their small problems.
If they are dying horribly, slowly, and in a rather expensive way, they have a right to say when they die. I really don't mind someone choosing to end their life earlier. I mean, not only is it less pain for the person who is dying painfully, and slowly, but it is also better for the family. I mean, would you rather live, and drain your family's money so they can keep you alive for a few more months to years, or kill yourself, and let them not go in debt... just to postpone your death? It's better all around. I'm religious. If I were in pain, and dying already, I would probably ask for Pyhsician-Assisted suicide. I really would. Even thought we aren't supposed to kill anyone, including ourselves. But the circumstance is different. Oh, also, I don't have any issues with death, like some do... so that may just have something to do with my opinion....

message 35: by Unidragonfrag (new)

Unidragonfrag We can put dogs down we assume are in pain, but not people who are clearly in pain and going to die suffering anyway?
I'm all for it. If the doctor says there's no way they'll survive and they're in pain, have at it.
It won't affect your position in the afterlife because there isn't one. And if there is one, god couldn't be so cruel to send to hell a person who killed themselves to avoid weeks of agony leading up to them dying anyway.

message 36: by Rose (new)

Rose (iceclaw) | 31 comments Only if you're in a lot of pain, and there's no chance you'll live should you even consider that. If you fall into that category, then knock yourself out.