Clean Reads discussion

Book Ratings

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Megan (new)

Megan | 3 comments I am thrilled to see this group, just joined.

I have been giving my books a movie rating based on language, sex, violence, etc. in my goodreads reviews. It really helps me because sometimes I can't remember what was in a book and when I go to recommend it to someone I like to tell them if there was any objectionable content.

message 2: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 16 comments Megan,

Check out www.squeakycleanreads.com
I used to do the same for my goodreads reviews, and then my sister and I decided to make it into a whole website! We would LOVE for you to leave reviews of the books you have read! And we are ALWAYS running give-a-ways. Happy Reading!
~Melissa

message 3: by Kim (new)

Kim (kim-the-girl) | 5 comments Has anyone here read Sherlock Holmes? I'm looking for a classic that would be appropriate for an LDS book club. We want something scary or suspenseful. Other thoughts we considered Sleepy Hollow/Rip VanWinkle or something by Poe... Any recommendations?

message 4: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (emarsh13) I'm a HUGE Sherlock Holmes fan ... I think it would definitely be appropriate! You may also want to check out The Beekeeper's Apprentice by Laurie R King ... it's kind of a follow up to the Holmes saga, and delightfully clean.

message 5: by Tessa (new)

Tessa (tesswhite) I just read two of the Sherlock Holmes books. They were both clean. I didn't love them, but they were okay.

message 6: by Tessa (last edited Jul 22, 2010 12:51PM) (new)

Tessa (tesswhite) Clean classics I've enjoyed include Cyrano de Bergerac by Edmund Rostand, Anne of Green Gables, Frankenstein, Dracula, Phantom of the Opera, Farenheit 451, The Count of Monte Cristo, Jane Eyre, and most of Jane Austen's books.

message 7: by Clare (new)

Clare Cannon (goodreadingguide) | 6 comments Hi Kim, have you read anything by Wilkie Collins? He wrote some of the first classic mysteries, I highly recommend The Woman in White (it's impossible to put down though), and The Moonstone. Both are highly enjoyable and certainly keep you guessing.

message 8: by Gerald (new)

Gerald  | 7 comments Didn't get too far in "When Will There Be Good Times" - rated R for language - yea, 'that' word.

message 9: by Teresa TL (new)

Teresa TL Bruce (teresatlbruce) | 3 comments Kim-the-girl wrote: "Has anyone here read Sherlock Holmes? I'm looking for a classic that would be appropriate for an LDS book club. We want something scary or suspenseful. Other thoughts we considered Sleepy Hollow..."

Last fall our book group had a fabulous discussion after we read Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson.

I recently discovered Colleen Coble's Rock Harbor series and Aloha Reef series. They have mystery, danger, CLEAN romance!!, descriptive settings, and characters whose choices reflect their degree of faith or lack thereof. So far, I have found each of her books both thrilling and inspirational.

message 10: by Kim (new)

Kim (kim-the-girl) | 5 comments Wow! Thanks everyone for your great input. This group is going to be SO helpful!

message 11: by Martha (new)

Martha | 6 comments Has anyone read "The Speed of Dark" by Elizabeth Moon?

message 12: by Martha (new)

Martha | 6 comments Teresa wrote: "Kim-the-girl wrote: "Has anyone here read Sherlock Holmes? I'm looking for a classic that would be appropriate for an LDS book club. We want something scary or suspenseful. Other thoughts we con..."

Nophoto-f-25x33 I love Sherlock Holmes. It stretches your mind if you read the details, you can learn a lot about things if you pay attention to the observations he makes, and the language is clean. Some adult situations mentioned in general, but not expounded upon.

message 13: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (mejojac) | 50 comments Martha wrote: "Has anyone read "The Speed of Dark" by Elizabeth Moon?"

I did - I liked the book, but I'm a parent of a child with Autism. To me the descriptions were fascinating. There is some mild language and they did use the f-word right near the end of the book. Normally I put a book down if they use that word, but I had to see how it ended...

message 14: by Martha (new)

Martha | 6 comments Thanks for the heads-up. My son, daughter and I are thinking of reading it. My son is the one with Autism. If we like it, the other two sons might want to read it, too.