Brian W. Aldiss Appreciation Group discussion

Hothouse!

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Larry (last edited Jul 10, 2010 07:25AM) (new)

Larry (hal9000i) | 30 comments I just began this, a re-read as I enjoyed it a few years ago. Anyone esle have thoughts on this book?
Hothouse by Brian W. Aldiss

message 2: by Simon (new)

Simon (friedegg) | 7 comments This was actually the first novel of Aldiss that I read. Some great, speculative ideas in that book regarding the nature of human intelligence. A gripping adventure tale too.

message 3: by Larry (new)

Larry (hal9000i) | 30 comments Well I've forgotten how good this book is! Its odd because it reads rather like fantasy but only because its so far in the future and its very pastoral, a la Simak. And I keep thinking of the movie Avatar, again an example that looks like fantasy but is also SF. Easily my favourite Aldiss novel so far!

message 4: by Simon (new)

Simon (friedegg) | 7 comments Indeed, I'm suprised it hasn't been selected for inclusion in the SF Masterworks series (yet)...

message 5: by Mohammed (new)

Mohammed  Burhan Abdi Osman (mohammedaosman) | 5 comments It sounds like Science fantasy, the Vance fan im i like Science fantasy like no other kind of SFF.

Does he have according to you two other SF of Hothouse quality ?

A 1962 copy of this book is in the library but i dont want to read old library version if its his best.

message 6: by Simon (last edited Jul 12, 2010 03:43AM) (new)

Simon (friedegg) | 7 comments "Non Stop" is the other great one of his earlier novels I have read. "Equator" is a short, fast paced action/mystery/thriller from very early in his career and is very good, but not quite up to the standard of these other two. "The Interpreter" was pretty good too.

The "Helliconia" trilogy, written much later in his career, is also great but very different from his earlier work. Far more epic, slower paced. A real masterpiece but not where I would recommend someone starting with Aldiss.

message 7: by Mohammed (new)

Mohammed  Burhan Abdi Osman (mohammedaosman) | 5 comments Good than he has several other works of quality.

I dont like starting with the best of an author since often they are old,damaged library books that i can find.

message 8: by Simon (new)

Simon (friedegg) | 7 comments Of course, he did a few short story collections as well which may be worth trying if you find them.

message 9: by Mohammed (new)

Mohammed  Burhan Abdi Osman (mohammedaosman) | 5 comments I like short story collections but novel is easier to find,judge a new author for me.

If/when Hothouse pass my taste,quality test then there is time for collection of short storties. It will depend on if he is great with short form ala Vance,Bradbury,other sf short story writers.

message 10: by Simon (new)

Simon (friedegg) | 7 comments Mohammed wrote: "I like short story collections but novel is easier to find,judge a new author for me.

If/when Hothouse pass my taste,quality test then there is time for collection of short storties. It will dep..."

He has some very good short stories but I don't think he particularly shines in that form. Only read one very early collection though...

message 11: by Mohammed (last edited Jul 12, 2010 04:18AM) (new)

Mohammed  Burhan Abdi Osman (mohammedaosman) | 5 comments Yeah some highly rated are not great with short stories, reading Heinlein short stories was a shock that made me doubt it was the same writer.....

Okay the collection was middle level collection,not his famous future history stories.

What did you think of PKD short stories ? They are great the later ones that isnt as pulpy as Paycheck and co.

message 12: by Simon (new)

Simon (friedegg) | 7 comments Mohammed wrote: "What did you think of PKD short stories ? They are great the later ones that isnt as pulpy as Paycheck and co. "

I haven't read any of his short stories yet. I have a collection of his later ones waiting to be read; will report back when I have.

message 13: by Shane (new)

Shane | 26 comments Mod
Some of his short stories are absolutely superb, even if a book of them might be a bit patchy overall. Moment of Eclipse has some amazing ones, as does The Meaning of this Book. I might go so far as to say that he is at his best when the short stories hit the mark.

message 14: by Larry (new)

Larry (hal9000i) | 30 comments I also enjoyed The Dark Light Years,a first contact story with repulsive aliens and an ethical dilemma. I've read Greybeard which is highy rated but I didn't understand fully. Also Earthworks, a short novel about over population. I want to find Helliconia sometime. Aldiss's writing is uneven at times and tho Hothouse has its moments a lot of it goes over my head or annoys me. The Tummy-belly men are very annoying!

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Hothouse (other topics)